Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Kitty's kidney issues mostly resolved after four days of treatment. He had his dental surgery today. It was a rough one, but he came through beautifully. Hopefully, he will be home tomorrow, or Thurs morn. I can't wait!

He will have to be on a special kidney maintenance diet until the vet decides his kidneys can function on their own, but eh. Cost be damned. I'll just be glad when he's back home with me!
    chachachacat, Sania and nikkitta like this.
  2. dancelvr

Yes. :)
    FancyFeet likes this.
  3. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

What is it with non-dancers who think "I'll have a dance event! With dancers!" and try to get someone to do it for them with like three weeks to go before deadline? Doesn't anyone plan anything anymore? Every routine you see is at LEAST four months in the making (that's at least an hour a day, two on the weekends, because sometime during that time people have to work and sleep and take showers and eat). Besides that, there's music to find and edit, details about the venue to find out about (is the floor too sticky to move over? too slick to be safe? How many sides is the floor so that we're not dancing with our backs to the audience the whole time? Is the floor too small to do some of the figures we plan to use? How far away is the venue, so we know when to leave and how much gas to budget for? And that's just the start) a schedule of classes, students, and 'day-jobs' to resolve. Of COURSE people would LOVE to dance for your event- if you let them do it right by giving them ample time and information so that they're as prepared as you expect them to be. Don't act shocked or insulted if someone asks questions instead of just immediately yes-ing you.

Edit: And yes, I realize for "real" dancers and "real" performers, none of these issues apply to you. But for your average backwater teachers who have the occasional charity event, birthday party, or local "thing", showing up to a 10x10 fake tile floor on a makeshift stage supported by straw bales is kind of a problem. So is "So the theme this year is such and such, the routines are to be four minutes long, and we want X number of them, and here's this CVS receipt-sized list of demands... poof, make it happen."
    bordertangoman likes this.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Not sleeping well all week coupled with spectacular headache starting when I woke up....
  5. Hedwaite

#1: People who come up to your table when you're with your students at a formal event and loudly request that you "sit your asses down" during an upcoming musical arrangement, so that they don't look bad- and the ambient chatter dies completely away to watch the spectacle. BECAUSE THEY'RE JUST KIDDING, HA-HA-HA... except they aren't, and everyone knows it, so if you sit down, you're being something, if you dance it, you're being something. Sometimes, self-improvement really doesn't seem to pay off anymore.

#2: People who specifically add and follow you all across the internet and like all of your posts, but then proclaim "I never understand what you're saying, ha-ha-ha," because they're trying to make themselves look not-as-stupid, except I'm not sure that actually works. Really, how else can you translate "Fifty-nine cent nail polish on clearance! Win!" or "People on cellphones in checkout lines are annoying attention whores who want their conversations heard, or they wouldn't be having them." I guess if it's not a picture of a frowning cat or a scrawly meme with a poignant silhouette of a crucifix, it's in a foreign language.

Requisite disclaimer: Not serious ranting. I save that for things like Obamacare, women changing dirty diapers on restaurant tables, or how my cellphone's battery keeps getting eaten by all my junk on it.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I really really detest waiting outside the door of a dark locked studio. It was drilled into me at a very young age that one is ready to work at the appointed lesson / rehearsal time, and, silly me, I assumed that this applied to dance as well as to music.
    fascination likes this.
  7. Hedwaite

I dislike smoke-breaks that cut ten minutes out of my lesson, or people hogging the floor (and music played at a level too loud to enjoy at even a bar) for a private lesson before our group class so that students complain about both the volume AND the fact that things start five minutes late. I've started just cutting the music and clearing a path. Lateness is one of my biggest gripes.

I can't stand it when people are "selectively perpetually late". I understand that something that pays money is of more importance than someone you claim you care about (that's partial sarcasm, by the way), but have the courtesy to not take something on with 'the lesser person' instead of causing them ulcers waiting on you to get your sh!t straight and be on time. If you can't do it, don't make the promise that you can. And don't SAY "Well, this matters, and..." you a-hole.

Okay, trigger scenario, shutting up now :-(
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh....ya know...whenever I want to go on a rant, I try to remind myself that I can be pretty rant inducing...I think it helps me to maintain humility sufficient to have a higher level of tolerance for others...but, everyone has their limits...I try also to distinguish between those whose disrespect is unintentional, and those who very deliberately do not heed reasonable social norms and/or formal guidelines
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  9. Hedwaite

Politics. Ugh.
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Whine:
    People who post happy thoughts on the whining thread
  11. Hedwaite

At least he's not preaching. :) Maybe we need an Unsolicited Advice thread, too. Or would that be the wine-ing thread? Serenity? Depends.
  12. Hedwaite

Deer in abundance on roads at night makes for scary back-from-teaching driving. I can remember growing up, it was one of those ooh-ah rarities to see a deer slinking out from the corner of the woods at dusk. Now, they flip you off and don't even drop their cellphones when you won't get out of their road.
    Sania likes this.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Nicked myself shaving this morning... Owww
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

They are all over the place around our house, and humans don't spook them much. I keep telling a friend of mine who hunts that he needs to come up to my house: "You can sit on the deck and take pot shots at them while you watch football!"
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we are having a huge neighborhood cull/no cull fued at the moment
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

MMMM deer meat bbq :)
  17. dancelvr

Am staying out of the 'deer' discussion, 'cause I'll just get irritated.
  18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I'm really really really frustrated. :(
  19. Hedwaite

I'm all for saving fluffy animals, but when they throw themselves at cars and then they don't stick around to pay for the headlight and front end damage, well in the words of Cee-lo...
  20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

got a new hard drive; it came with an adaptar socket for a two pin device; only it won't go into to the plug and I cant undo the plug because it has tiny screws with 3 slots (unlike posi-drive which has four)
    the like of which I have never seen before.....fail...