Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Clearly you too need a cat!

:p
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

TIL: Cats solve all problems.
    Purr, Lioness and JudeMorrigan like this.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

yup, my cat would have chased the spider and eaten it.
  4. Sania

Sania Active Member

Mine can catch a housefly in mid air!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

It's weeks since I've been able to dance on Saturday night. Last weekend I skipped a good friend's birthday party to go to the dance party, and it was a miserable time because of who did/didn't show up. In the wake of that fiasco I accepted an invitation to the ballet this Saturday, now feeling very torn because I really want to dance, but the invitation is a sure thing and the dancing evidently isn't.

Doesn't help that coach has been saying all week that the Saturday party is supposed to be for practicing what you've learned in your lessons. Um, ok... how exactly? I already practice solo every day, and don't really care to do that in front of an audience at the party...

Right now it feels like it's been weeks of nothing but slogging hard work. This isn't my job. There should be *some* all-out fun using-what-I-know dancing! Stomp pout.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

One big reason to love the internet: If you get tired of someone, you can just block or ignore them, and be done with it for as long as you need to be. Wish I could do that IRL with a few people.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

With chopsticks!
    bordertangoman and j_alexandra like this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

True story! Although I suppose the combination of "unstoppable snuggling machine*" and "destroyer of small insects" presents problems of its own. ;-)

* When the weather turns cold, my cat can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he's managed to burrow under the covers with me.
    Purr and Sania like this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

It's monday... 'nough said
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Sadsies. Our "Vacation but working because we're dancing too" trip got cancelled in December because the other end made a scheduling error, and we were booked already on the date they finally figured they needed. Now, we have no fun thing to do for our year-end sparklecation. People are really kind of rude when I email them and ask about social dancing events at their studios or in their area. Most of them just don't bother emailing back, and the one or two who do ask "What level are you?" Unless you have parties targeted toward beginners and so forth, why should that matter? Am I missing something?
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What exactly is the problem here? ;) :)

When I had a cat, she used to think it was her mission in life to be either a fur hat when I was sleeping - or a fur stole curled up by my ear with a purr as loud as a small lawn mower or motor boat.

It didn't matter what season it was. Same thing. :)
    Sania likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

Little Dude is just not so little. It's all good when I wake up with him curled up against me, but having a skinny 10-lb cat sitting on my chest, kneading away makes it tough to get to sleep.
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Originally had a training session at 9 and finished work at 8.

Then they changed the roster so I finished at 5 and now in just chilling at work doing nothing for 3 hours. Yawn.

I wanna go home and sleep, gosh darnit!.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

10-lbs??!! That's nothing. ;) :)

My cat was 17 lbs. I miss her a lot. :(
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Newbies not taking advice about not focusing on technique right now, right before Ohio. Why would they listen to someone who's been around the block a few times...
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Everybody has their way of learning and getting competition ready. Whatever makes them feel most confident, focusing on technique, focusing on big picture, whatever, is what is best for them now. That's something they'll only figure out with personal experience.
  17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

So true. Hindsight is 20/20. Some of the things I did and believed with respect to ballroom comps is downright cringe-worthy. I have tried to pass on the info, but often people don't wanna hear it or don't believe it until it's too late. What can ya do?
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Yeah I know... I guess is that i don't want them to make the same mistakes as I did when I was them
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it's good practice for being a parent...trust me, your parents feel that way ALL the time
    SwayWithMe likes this.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

O I'm sure they do. Lol. I do feel like the mama of the newbies sometimes. It has been good practice.