Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

At least they think about technique...
  2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I'm sad that I now have two free nights through the week because our classes are done until January.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I found out last night that my am partner has changed her plans and is now intending to transfer to an out-of-state school next fall. Good for her obviously. She'll be 21. That's a good age to be going out and living life. Slightly devastating news for me though. I'd been so happy about how things were working out with me and her. :(

And on an entirely related note: **** Thanksgiving. No, seriously. **** this ******* holiday. There was a time when it was the high point of my year. That was a long, long time ago. It reached peak misery back in 2003 when my mother died on Thanksgiving itself, but the universe seems bound and determined to not let me be happy this time of year. ****.

(Sorry, I don't really curse all that much in general. But Unhappy Jude is fairly seriously unhappy.)
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I feel your pain on hat Jude.....hug
    FancyFeet likes this.
  5. Sania

Sania Active Member

So sorry on both counts!
    FancyFeet likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Jude, sending virtual hugs your way!

And now my whine(s) seems trivial, but...

- It's cold and raining - and is supposed to snow later. And I miss the sunshine/daylight. It's dark when I leave the office, and is so hard to haul myself to the studio to work for a few hours when my brain thinks it's bedtime.

- Some rough news came down at work this week that affects my future plans, making me feel like another job change might be on the horizon. Sucks, as I like what I'm doing, and was really looking forward to settling in and seeing what I could do with this program. I was excited about the next year or so at work, for what feels like the first time in a long time. Now I feel lost. And I can't let that show, as I need to be strong for my team.

- Pros are away, so I've been working entirely solo (no lessons, no classes, very few signs of life in the studio) for over a week. Given that my week of dance can feel long and lonely even when they're around (higher amount of practice than anyone else in the studio, coupled with my current partner-less status) it's been rough. This is the second stretch of this in the last month and a half, and has felt so much harder this time.

Mostly, I just want to curl up in a ball under the covers, and have myself a good cry - followed by a nap. Instead, I'm at work...
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. We are seriously running out of female dancers around here. What's up with that? Maybe you and I need to partner. :p

Wow, I didn't know that. Sorry you're having a crummy time. I have some serious negative associations with the holiday season too. I tend to look at most of it as just something to survive while doing as little damage as possible.
  8. JudeMorrigan

Thanks, folks. I appreciate it. Silly though this may sound, I think I picked exactly the wrong music to listen to on the drive in to work. I'm going to be pretty unhappy about this for a while, but there's no good reason for me to be *that* miserable and whiney.

Asides - FancyFeet: not trivial at all. I feel your pain.

Cornutt: Actually, I'd considered making a post in the happy thoughts thread about what an awesome support system I have. I have independant promises from both my instructors to help me find a new partner when the time comes. I particularly appreciated the offer from my Nashville pro - it would have been awfully easy for her to suggest I refocus on my pro-am when the time comes. I'll miss my current partner quite a bit, but I'm actually pretty optimistic that things'll work out for me one way or the other.

And there's no reason you should have known what a difficult time of year this is for me. My mom passed away before I took up dancing, which is itself one of my great regrets in life.
    stash likes this.
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Hugs. It's great you have a good support systems from you pros. I think if anything that's one of my number one things to look for, after skill and teaching ability.

The holidays do stink big time. We should have a holiday hide away part on df... I used to love thanksgiving, but as of this year I'm not looking forward to it at all...
  10. Sania

Sania Active Member

She sounds wonderful.

Are you considering adopting a new cat?
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Yesterday's comp was my last comp with DP.

We've had a good 6 years together, but I'm glad to move on. We did well, but not super well.

Now I'm just forever worried I'll never find a new partner and I won't be able to dance. Doing some pro-am with coach next year, but that won't be a permanent solution.
  12. JudeMorrigan

A genuinely trivial whine: as a fairly tall and skinny guy, it is annoyingly difficult to find clothes that actually fit.
  13. Lioness

Gym dilemma...

24/7 gym is closer to my house, is 24/7, and I can use a gym anywhere in the world.

Lifting gym is closer to work, cheaper, and has a strong powerlifting culture, which is important to me, but it's only open 6am-9pm and it's only one gym.

Have no idea which one to join.
  14. bia

bia Active Member

It sounds to me like you would prefer the lifting gym, and it being cheaper is a good thing, so I'd go with that unless you think the time and location limits would be likely to keep you from working out as often as you want/need.

1) Are you likely to frequently want to work out late at night or early early?
    2) Do you expect to be traveling a lot, and (realistically) are you likely to work out when you do, given the possibility?
    3) Will the distance to the gym keep you from working out on days you're off work?

For all questions, if yes, go with 24/7, if no, go with the lifting gym.
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Someday I will, just not now. I make due through other people's cats.
  16. Lioness

I start work at midnight and finish at 5am, so the opportunity to work out is always nice. Still, an hour in the morning isn't a huge deal to wait around for.

I'm more thinking of the flexibility to pop in to a different gym if I'm elsewhere in town all day. I don't think I'd use it that much, though.

The distance from house is only about 15-20 minutes for the lifting gym. I definitely think I'd prefer it, but I worry about the convenience being an issue.
  17. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

People who don't understand the differences between things based on subtle detail can be frustrating. Sure, it's just a petty little snivel, but the "*shrug*Whatever. They all look the same to me" mentality is one that just sets my teeth on edge.

For example, this is the time of year for great candies to come out, and they're sitting right next to the crappy ones that are the same crap year-round only repackaged with different colored foil. There is a HUGE difference between Thompson Chocolate balls and Palmer. They're incomparable. Thompson uses real vanilla and there's no seam on their balls. Palmer's balls are all waxy and misshapen and they taste like sugared plastic with Sixlets mixed in somehow. I don't subscribe to "you get what you pay for" solidly, for every single situation, but this is one instance where paying more for chocolate balls matters.

Also, my ulcer has returned, and I have THREE new gray hairs from this damn tango routine.
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Friends making me feel guilty because I can't come out tonight to hang out and drink because I have a project due tomorrow and a 9am class... I'm sorry that I can't hang out over this break... But winter break starts soon enough... Like chill out.
  19. bia

bia Active Member

Go, stash! Can I have you in my class? I'm wondering how many students I'll have in class today. I got an email from one a few days ago, asking if he could have an excused absence for today, because his family always travels for Thanksgiving, and they were surprised(!) to discover that he didn't have the whole week off. Has any school ever given the whole week off? But at least he took my refusal with good grace. It's a class day, I have material to cover, and it will be on the test. And the students can make their choices from there.
  20. bia

bia Active Member

I'm happy to say that I whined too soon -- morning classes were just fine. We'll see about the afternoon, but at least I'm not preemptively cranky.