Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

holiday related grief? depression? seasonal affect?
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I wanna go to it. Especially since I have the school picked out, and a plan of how to make it work around other commitments, ie family, work, ballroom ( :p ) and other life stuff... I'm just worried about fiances mostly.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Get a hammer and hit yourself in the head with it 50 times. Afterwards, if you decide that you enjoyed that, go to grad school. :p
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Lol. Already watched my dbf go through the hell of a phd. :p Luckily, my field (if I go full time) is only a 2 year masters program. My main concerns are finances lol. Grad school ain't cheap.
  5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

It sounds like you've done a lot of the important thinking, and hopefully the "work" component in there will help with the financial implications. Are you confident (as far as possible) that the program you've chosen will prepare you for what you want to do? That this is in fact what you want to do? That you can't do it without grad school? That opportunities exist for it once you graduate? That those opportunities are likely to pay well enough that the financial burden will be relatively short term? If these are all yes, just do it. If not, it may be worth more thinking.

ETA: Sorry to sound preachy; my academic advisor hat got stuck on my head.
    Ailuene, raindance and chomsky like this.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I hate when do-gooders don't think to ask before taking it upon themselves to helpy helperton a situation they have no business in, and therefore disrupt carefully-laid consistency that was WORKING until they arrived. Consistency is KEY when working with dumb (and even smart) animals. Deviate from pattern ONCE, and they default to bad behavior.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

No no no these are all good questions that I'm asking myself. I do have the ability to be hired on full time from my current internship, so I'll have a decent gs7 salary. I plan to work for half a year after I graduate before I jump into grad school, to pay down some debt and hopefully save some. Will they be able to pay well enough for grad school, I think so. But time will tell. I don't know exactly what my salary would look it. It may only be able to cover part time, which I am ok with.

I am as confident as I can be that the program will offer what I want. The professors are some of the leading professionals in the field that I am trying to break into. They will be able to provide mentorship in a field that is otherwise very hard to get any advice in as everyone see everyone as competition. (Trust me, I have tried poking around looking for advice outside of my undergrad classroom and all I are vague answers. I have also scouward the interwebs any bits of info that would help.)

I could go about it on my own. And that is an option I have been considering as well. I mean I'm trying to do my best currently, and working on opening up avenues now. But it's hard, and having a mentor to guide those sort of interactions would be a tromendous help. There will be, hopefully, plenty of opportunities after I graduate. I will just have to find them, seek them out, and make it work.

I have time to think, but it's not going to last forever :p
    chomsky likes this.
  8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

go gal!
    stash likes this.
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah, seems to me that you've got a good plan, and you should be good to go. You could also consider, since you've got a good job lined up, adding another year or so of working to pay off debt and save, so you'd have a bit more financial peace of mind when you start. I often recommend some time in the real world before grad school, but mostly for developing clarity as far as what you want to do, and you seem to have that. Still, you've got lots of time; taking another year wouldn't hurt your career progress, I wouldn't think. In fact, if your current job is related in any way to your preferred field, having a good chunk of work experience could be a real help in the later job search once you have your grad degree. If they're not related, then it's just about the money and judging what you can live with (both literally and emotionally).
    chomsky and stash like this.
  10. fascination

grad school is one of the only good reasons for assume debt...
    Purr, chomsky and stash like this.
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Finally got someone out to look at the heat pump today. He thinks the coil temperature sensor needs to be replaced, but he didn't have the right one on the truck. So I get to miss some more work time tomorrow when he comes back. :rolleyes: And he wasn't going to check the pressures, but I asked him to just to humor me. Guess what: it was low. o_O No wonder the damn thing is freezing up.
    chomsky likes this.
  12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

I miss my dance class!
    chomsky likes this.
  13. chomsky

is your dw doing better? I had such a problem with heating I didn't sleep at all last night!
    cornutt likes this.
  14. chomsky

this is so so cute as a whine! oh, I just loved you for saying it!
    sbrnsmith likes this.
  15. chomsky

I know I did a master's course that I didn't use anywhere in my life. I just did it for myself. But to be honest the skills I acquired have helped me in my everyday life and I am talking about language skills and "survival" skills. I just loved the experience.
  16. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Rainbowshiu is closing, according to their front page. :-(
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yep. She and her husband are moving to Canada to care for her ailing in-laws. I don't know what I'm going to do! :(
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Had to switch over to Firefox from Internet Explorer, because a recent update of IE made me unable to post on DF!! Argh. Thank goodness for Frontier tech assistance!
    FancyFeet likes this.
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Got a spray tan from a friend who has a professional kit. I selected the "dark" option, thinking "oh, an ordinary dark won't be more than my dance tan"

I'm dark. Like, almost to the point of accidental blackface.

I also have a killer tan line because I kept my undies on. image.jpg
  20. fascination