Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Lioness brings me to a tangential whine- people who wanted to be treated equally, yet can't handle the same equal negative treatment along with the positive. And now for my other whine of the day:

Why Ballroom and Barroom don't mix:

A person walks up and asks your date for a dance.
    A barroom dancer: Bristles in indignation that you've pissed on their territory.
    A Ballroom dancer: Is ambivalent, BECAUSE IT'S JUST DANCING

Liquor is being served at a venue.
    A barroom dancer: Gets loaded, stumbles all over the floor while air-spelling YMCA in Arabic, and if they fall into your table, it's your fault, even if you were out at your car getting a shoebrush you forgot.
    A ballroom dancer: Might get a happy buzz on, but can still remain balanced, capable of simple courtesy and respect to others' personal space, and doesn't require a Designated Driver by the end of the evening.

An advertisement for "Dancing!" in the paper/facebook.
    A barroom dancer: Shows up, gets drunk, and can do the same spastic jig to all music, all night. Repeated crowing of "FREEBIRD!" optional.
    A ballroom dancer: Wonders how big the floor will be (to avoid inevitable barroom dancers), what type it will be (concrete hurts the joints and can be too slick), and if they can just pay to dance and bring their own bottle of water, because they likely don't want the dry pasta/chicken/beef steamtable buffet they can get for five bucks at Publix come lunchtime instead of fifty here.

A special event coordinated by non-dancers invites, or wants to involve dancers.
    Barroom dancers: Don't see why these people are calling and asking all these stupid questions about the floor and the length of routines, and the sound setup. All you have to do is show up and dance, right?
    Ballroom dancers: Want to know the facts so that they can present a great experience for their audience and dance friends.

A couple of great dancers, maybe a group arrives and starts burning up the floor.
    A barroom dancer: Thinks they're gay, sulks in their chair while their partner tries to get them to dance, and thinks they're a bunch of snooty showoffs.
    A ballroom dancer: Takes it as an automatic (friendly) challenge and it brings out the best in them, wonders why they haven't seen them around, and introduces themselves and welcomes them back to their place of dance.

*contains peanuts, generalization, and may cause offense or chafing of the buttocks.
    cornutt, dancelvr and nikkitta like this.
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Maybe I should be more sympathetic, but my friend truly is a baby to dating. She is a self proclaimed feminist, but still wants the men she is dating to:

1) text her first (girl it's just a stupid, freaking text message... you have thumbs... USE THEM!!!)

2) plan all the dates themselves (welcome to the 21st century love, guys have learned from us and wanted to be wooed too.. plan a freaking date. tis not that hard if their is mutal attraction. it's a two way road love)

3) wants to be treated like a princess. (fine you can have that all you want, but be ready to treat him like a prince too, remember? two way street)

Didn't help matters that she had bad reception in her house at college and didn't want to go out into the common area to talk about things. The conversation had a lot of "could you repeat that" "are you still there" "hello" on my end.

Maybe I have just been in a relationship too long to be more sympathetic about things like this. But I have learned a lot in my 3 and count years of dating my bf, and what I've learn is that relationships (even causal ones) are about give and take... The man isn't going to stick around if he has to do all the work and doesn't feel wanted. Maybe this is not how she means to sound, but that's exactly how it does sound.
    Hedwaite and Lioness like this.
  3. Hedwaite

I can't stand The stink Single. There's a difference in single people, and that one person out of a group who doesn't just lean on their friends during bad times, but they stink the life right out of them by whining constantly about how fail their life is just because they can't acquire another bookend, and constantly not just fish for compliments, but delve and dig and mine for constant reinforcement and validation by not only asking for it, then arguing with you when you try to point out their positive attributes. I can't stand people who are constantly trying to worm how single they are into a conversation just so they can turn the focus of it onto them. Maybe that's WHY they're single, and they find all their friends gradually drifting away. I'm not a babysitter. There's a line one crosses between friendship and emotional vampirism. Most of them don't even know why they feel so compelled to hitch up to someone else, and aren't even that happy when they're in one relationship or another. It seriously clangs my aura and makes me feel drained, and although I like the friend, I don't like it when they start sparkling and listening to Muse and the air has the bite of lavender and vinegar.
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Today I learned I'm scared of lightning.

Huge storm going on. Travels with me as I'm driving from ex-DP's house to work. Strikes somewhere nearby work and we have a power surge. Keeps travelling up to near my place, where housemate is trying to save her panicked horses from a fire and almost gets hit by lightning.

All I want is to not be electrocuted and die. Too much to ask?
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

It's a real risk...feel the fear and do it anyway...and maybe the static charge is elevating your feelings of fear? My sympathy..
  6. Cal

Cal Active Member

The mailbox post is split. Grrr. The last time that the plow hit the mailbox, I had tried to pretend that I hadn't seen the hairline split in the post, but here it is now, larger than life. And it's beyond my expertise to replace a post in this weather (well, truth be told, it's beyond by expertise to do that even in better weather).
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dig hole...pour in concrete mix...stick new pole in....attach mailbox top...or direct helpless look toward the most vulnerable man in your family...either way :)
    stash and cornutt like this.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You say that like someone who has had practice at it. Practice at what, I won't say. :D
  9. fascination

10. Lioness

Having a super bad self esteem day.

Time for bed I think.
  11. fascination

12. Hedwaite

I want a taco from Hardee's, but I want a brownie-thing from Taco Bell. I don't want to go to two separate restaurants, and they serve tacos (obviously) at Taco Bell, but they just don't taste the same.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Split enough so that the mailbox fell over, or there's just a fracture in the wood post? If the latter, just bind it up with hose clamps.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

new color faded in 3 days... Need to re-dye. grumble grumble grumble
  15. Lioness

It's not Thursday yet :-(
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

After a 3-day reprive, it's cold again. The heavy use of indoor heating needed so far this winter is giving me scaly lizzard-skin. Basically bathing in moisturizer to keep it at bay... this needs to stop. I don't like being cold and itchy.
  17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yes! Even though heat is included in my rent (thank goodness) I feel like I've put at least that much money into lotion and chapstick.
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Snow isn't scheduled to start here until 9am...
  19. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I really hate this knee scooter. 5+ weeks to go. Way better than the hip cast the doc was originally talking about, but still. *grumble*
  20. Hedwaite

My nail polish color was too coral, so I had to add a coat of this other pink to it, but now it's too purpley.