Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Don't you own a sewing machine?
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Small whine today...I am feeling bad about myself...yesterday afteroon I went to look at ballgowns for an upcoming event...I didn't find anything...I'm tall and full figured (read: hourglass), and finding clothes, even everyday clothes, can be a challenge...this is why I don't like trying on ballgowns from vendors at competitions because I end up feeling miserable about myself...I like dancing and doing dance events, but finding appropriate, attractive attire is a challenge...sometimes I think the answer is to quit doing dance events...solves the whole problem...rant over, I'm having a cup of chai tea now to calm down...thank you for listening...
    dancelvr and fascination like this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Lioness likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my sympathies purr
    Purr likes this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, there's nothing like trying on ballgowns to make you feel fat and unattractive. And just because I'm not slender or petite doesn't mean I want to be stuck in an ugly dress.

For what I have going on now, I'm going to wear a dress I already own (it's pretty and it fits me). I'll revisit this issue again in a couple of months when/if more dance events come up.
  6. coanamilove

coanamilove Member

Have to do some house cleaning, but I hate making beds, washing clothes, and other taxing stuff like that..
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Sick during spring break :/
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

If only owning a sewing machine gave me magical skills...in reality I just put two pieces of fabric together according to the recipe and sew some stitches in it.

I have no idea how to either make or alter a shirt :-(
  9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

For the waist problem you could either make the darts that exist deeper, or add darts, either underbust darts or back ones. Buttonhole gape I do not have a recipe for fixing though.
  10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the solutions are add more fabric or chest reduction surgery...neither particularly feasible.

Got in to work before sunrise, left office after overnight construction work was in full swing...one of those days.
  11. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

There comes a time when you just have to let misinformed knowitalls who don't want your help go ahead and do something wrong and just enjoy that look of "DURH?" on their faces when it doesn't work out.
    cornutt and nikkitta like this.
  12. Aura

Aura Active Member

I'm emotionally smarting right now, so this is going to be long.

Okay, the phrase "no offense" has to be the crappiest qualifier in the world. If you have to say it at the beginning or end of your statement, don't say it at all.

I know that I am not my writing, but I put bits and pieces of myself into what I write. How could I not? I'm proud of the work I'm doing in this relatively new field. Journalists, fellow classmate, are not "stupider than the rest of us" (as if there's an "us" and "them" anyway). We, like everyone else, have to do what we have to do put food on the table. We are not "sponges that just absorb what is popular". In fact, it is out job to gauge the data we receive from the general public and distribute it. If the majority of the public likes it, that's what'll get sold, regardless of minority opinions like yours. Sales provide the money I'm going to need to provide for myself. That's just basic business.

Look, I know you weren't personally attacking me, but you did make a thoughtlessly rude generalization about my chosen field and the people that work there. I love being a Journalism major. I love learning about multi media, going outside the classroom and gathering information, getting statements from people for a story, and honing the ability to write on very tight deadlines (Our professor once gave us five minute to write a story for an exercise.)

But what hurts me the most is that I care for you. This moment aside, I want to be your friend. I've seen bits and pieces of the "real you". I think you are funny, intelligent, and gentlemanly. I respect you. Gosh dang it, I just want to love on you because all of us could use some TLC. But, if all I'm going to see is this façade of satire and cynicism, then I can't. I would rather hang out with a person of average intelligence that's positive than a cynical intellect.
    stash likes this.
  13. Hedwaite

Sorry you had to deal with a jerk.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Preach. I get defensive every time says this about being an art major (or calling photography not a fine art). It mostly comes from family... The worst comment being (after I had taken a metal casting class) "at least you learned a useful trade." Hugs. Haters going to hate, and we just gotta show them who's boss.
  15. Lioness

Looks like BF and I are moving independently of our housemates...now to convince bf that we are not going to find a niceish place for cheap...$150 is about what we're looking at each...and that is too much, apparently, though he earns over $400 a week.

Then to decide whether we want a little 1-2 bedroom unit or townhouse or a 3 bedroom house we can get some housemates for.

Lots of decisions.
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It's snowing. Heavily.

'Nuff said.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'd do almost anything to avoid having to take in roommates. But that's just me.
    dancelvr, Hedwaite and RiseNFall like this.
  18. Hedwaite

People who clap their hands over their ears, squint shut their eyes, and "LALALALALACAN'THEARYOULALALALA!!!" don't understand that this behavior doesn't change fact.
  19. Hedwaite

I lost a whole new tube of eye primer two years ago. Found it last night. Wondering if it's still good if it's still sealed? If so, there's twenty bucks I've saved... here's hoping.
  20. Lioness

It depends on the housemates...but having a housemate or two would mean we'd each save $50-$80 on rent each week, which is a fair chunk tbh.