Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Can you screw your back up just by standing for nine solid hours (well, except to pee once)? I think I have managed to do that.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

standing in one spot for 9 hours is far worse than moving around for 9

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My leotard fit before I sewed all the bits together...now not so much...damn.

Time to get creative.

4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Just caught that it was per week, not month (I was initially thinking "holy crap Australia's a cheap place to live!!"). Makes a lot of sense, though it'd be a pain writing a check/ sending a payment to my landlord weekly (slash pooling finances among roommates).

5. Cal

Cal Active Member

I've been working on some hard stuff for a while now, and I'm getting a bit impatient that I haven't yet seen as much of a benefit as quickly as I'd like. I don't want my impatience to cross-over into discouragement - I know it won't help.

6. Lioness

Usually we just direct deposit it into a landlord's bank account every two weeks.

But yeah Australia's pretty expensive to live...average house price is $300-500K, with the cheapest ones in a bad neighbourhood for ~$200K. And this is in Adelaide, which has one of the cheapest markets. In major cities like Melbourne and Sydney we're talking easily above $600K. Everything is catered towards investment buyers who just pass on the mortgage costs to tenants, rather than families who want a place to live. The rents we're looking at are all between $300-$400 a week for a 3 bedroom house.

7. Hedwaite

Post-event malaise. Ugh.

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. Sania

Sania Active Member

How was it? Did your partner find all the necessary costume parts?

9. Hedwaite

The routine went off well- Partner found himself a vest and stayed safe with All Black, partner's partner sparkled, and there were a few little glitches in the routine (they told me- I was so far back, I couldn't actually SEE the routine, except for sparkly flashes of color once in awhile), but most people in the audience were too busy snapping selfies to get into it much- it felt like a tough crowd this year, unless you were part of the dancer-crowd, for ALL of the performers, and there were at least two routines that I thought would definitely have gotten people jazzed that didn't get quite the lively reception they normally would have. I might feel a little too white-knighty toward my dance peers, though.

We had a good time and I am 100% proud of the star we worked with, but it was a very tiring night through no fault of theirs, because there were A LOT of routines, and no seating for any of the waiting dancers or "pit crew" unless you were invited to sit at a sponsor's table- most of which were full of their own families and friends (we weren't allowed to sit in the dressing room unless we were the celebrities/personalities, or eat any of the amazing food provided which we all sampled anyway). Without going into as much detail as I'd like (I don't want to piss anybody off, but I do have some questions I hope I can ask without sounding like some terrible ingrate jerk), I am curious if any of the rest of you have done a dancing with the stars event for a local charity, what was expected of you as the dance partner, how many hours of training you were required to donate au gratis to the person partnered with you, etc. to compare notes with this one's expectations. I'm curious if this is routine behavior, or if there's a different way of doing things that could benefit everybody a little better.

10. Lioness

More than a bit annoyed at the realisation that the main reason my bodysuit doesn't for so great is that I cut the stretch mesh the wrong way round.

Also because I've put on lots of weight...frustrating. Not terribly happy with myself ATM.

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Blah. Lesson learned. If I try to ask the tailor about options for a suit and get cut off, I need to keep pressing and make a nuisance of myself if necessary to make darned certain I know exactly what I'm ordering. Hopefully it'll at least be serviceable once they fix the arms, but I don't see any way this doesn't wind up as a very expensive lesson.

12. Lioness

Bf is feeling a bit down because he feels like the rest of our housemates want to just ditch him (and us)...I see where he's coming from...we were pretty happy to compromise on location and they've pretty much turned around and said "nah it's ok we'll find our own place". Then the third housemate (and only single dude) chose to go with the other two rather than with him, so he feels a bit abandoned. He tries really hard to keep everyone friends and his housemates are really important to him.

Wish I could give him endless hugs and make him feel better, but I don't think I can.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What tailor?

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Brackley's. I want to give them a chance to make things right before I go into too great of details, but the coat's kind of a mess right now. I'm kind of hoping that the pictures I sent them last night will show them that I'm not just being a difficult customer when it comes to the arms, although I'm not sure they're going to budge on the lack of a vent. (That being the option that my pro is pretty emphatic that the coat needs.)

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I just asked and at the studio that I dance at they give 10 free private lessons after which the student has to pay for more. In this case, each student is performing with the professional instructor. Some of the students have continued dancing after the event.

Hedwaite likes this.
  16. Cal

Cal Active Member

I'm in one those frustrating states of mind when I'm anxious, restless, and exhausted all at the same time. Part of me wants to take a nap and see if I can escape this state of mind, and part of me wants to be sure to stay awake and alert just in case "something happens." And of course, the source of the anxiety isn't anything that can be pin-pointed and addressed; it's one of those vague, undefinable things. I hate it when this happens - it's so hard to shake it. Aargh.

17. fascination

hmm...have you considered all of the most common possibilities?....seasonal affect?, changes that come with being a certain age? freaking cabin fever?...or something like an anxiety disorder or depression?....at any rate...I hope it breaks/passes soon

18. Hedwaite

I almost hate to post this, because I can think of at least two who take things like this and run with it, but:

Could it be hormones? Once in awhile, mine REALLY kick my knat, and in the span of ten minutes, I can feel like complete flaming chaos, roadkill, rainbows, and MUST HAVE FOOD NOWwhy am I crying about this taco.

Staying focused on something helps me a lot. Could be anything- something bigger, like showcases or fundraisers (I cite this because of our recent Focal Point of the Season occupying our brainframes), or even just a new book you can't wait to get back into after having to put it down.

And guys do the hormone thing, too, I didn't realize, until I read it the other day. You learn a lot when you're bored out of your mind and killing time at a long-knat rehearsal.

19. fascination

over here, still on pacific time and it is kicking my butt

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So...a Smooth jacket?