Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

There is a guy who waits until our cake delivery arrives, then comes into the store and buys every custard berlina we get delivered. Whether we order one, or 5, he buys all of them.

Like, rude. If you want extra cakes, ask the manager to order some extra, but coming in just in time to catch the truck every day is pretty freaking inconsiderate to the rest of the customers who would've bought those later in the day.

It's 2am and you definitely don't need so many cakes.

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Grrr, group classes. What is with those people who try to teach, despite not knowing their own steps, timing, or being able to find the beat? And then, after you've been trying really hard to stay quiet and not "help" them as they work through their process, but dare to speak up with a comment like "I can't really feel your lead right here, can we try to make it a bit firmer in this spot?" respond with something like "Well, I can't feel you either, and I'm not changing anything."

I had to turn around and count to 10 after that one... I get the whole front-with-agression-when-feeling-vulnerable thing, but man, it's hard to not lash back.

And, whatever. I'll just lead myself. At least then it'll be on time :D

Hedwaite and Lioness like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sometimes people are dense...maybe clue him in?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

I would think the store would order more of whatever sells out constantly.

6. fascination

that is her point...whether they order 5, or 200, he takes them all...they should just ask him to place a special order

7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Or start ordering them by the thousands. Profit.

Ailuene, Joe, cornutt and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

You could just lie and hold a few back. It wouldn't be lying if you said "Sorry, sir, that's all we have for you..." On the other hand, a cake sold is a cake you don't have to write off and throw away if it's unsold later.

9. fascination

i don't see what's so hard about simply saying, "hey, we'd like to have some of these for others...about how many do you think you are going to want and how often?...no committment, but please help us get a ballpark figure"

10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Just received an email from a professor from a class that only meets once a week on thursday's... He wants us to have a paper proposal in tomorrow for our final 10pg research paper. He had to wait today to send this email... And couldn't send it, idk before spring break... I'm getting no sleep tonight. That's for sure....

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That's what I do if he arrives after I've had a chance to put the orders away. Most of the time he waits for the truck though.

Today I just let him know that if he wants a whole lot of them, he should put in a special order. We generally only get three a day because we're a small store, but if he's dropping by we need to order 6. Dropped a subtle "because other customers later in the day are missing out".

Hedwaite likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I know Brackley's is known for Standard tails...I'm not sure why anyone would go there for a Smooth suit though--why not someplace like Lenique? Is Onik still around?

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Well, they say they've made plenty of smooth suitsbefore, but yes. I have regrets about my choice of tailors.

14. Hedwaite

Maybe I'm doing that annoying white knight indignation on someone's behalf when unsolicited thing again, but this pisses me off:

We're passing a card around to sign for someone who's not in our class, but is a fellow dancer and the situation warrants a card, to say the least. Two couples plug into class, listen, go "Enh, *shrug* I'm not gonna bother to sign it. I mean, whatever- they're nothing to us, right?"

How touching. If I received a card signed even by a bunch of strangers, I'd think "Well, that's sweet- people who don't even know care enough about this situation to make this gesture", or at least that they had the courtesy to not say "meh, screw her" but that's just me. I told them "Well, it's just basic courtesy to wish someone well- it's not going to HARM anything if you do, even if you don't know them..." but meh.

Later on, we announce that there's a dance dedicated to this person coming up, for anyone friends, family, or supporters of them. Suddenly, the same couples perk up and start asking if it's free, and said "Oh, well, maybe we could make that, then." So then, I remind them that if they're not interested in signing a card for the person, why would they be interested in crashing a party for them?

So sick of this "If I can't get anything out of it, I'm not interested, so screw it," mentality I'm seeing in these same people.

15. fascination

while I get your point...I also get theirs...I think there is an argument for someone not being a horrible uncaring person just because they don't think it would mean something to the person in question to see their signature on the card ...but then being willing to attend a dance in their honor if it was a fundraiser...though it would be a head scratcher if it was simply a free dance but private for close acquaintances (in which case it may seem like they are being inconsistent and self-interested)...but I can see being willing to anonymously donate the entry fee and attend a dance if I like dancing while not feeling important enough to sign a card....

beyond all that, I know this is the whining thread...so everyone is entitled to whine here...but assuming whining/needing to whine is something none of us finds ideal or pleasant to experience within ourselves, I want to share the following; as I look out over the human landscape, there are a variety of things that I observe as lacking in a vast array of people...I am bothered by this considerably less now that I understand that I am the only person that I have control over and that I have work enough to do in making the world a better place by navigating my own crap...my own less than ideal tendencies and inclinations...and I also find that I need to do that from a compassionate space toward myself.... I also find that as I am compassionate with myself and begin to examine why I do the crappy stuff that I do, it becomes easier for me to understand why others might do the stuff that they do...or to at least be less aggitated or offended by it....we are all broken people....sometimes we intentionally do crappy stuff, sometimes we do stuff that was well-intended but others thought was crappy... sometimes we act out of fear, insecurity, a lack of deliberation or sensitivity....but again, it is too much in life for me to overly reflect upon why others do it...and not terribly productive to be irked by it....I am only in control of how I respond to it...and that part is on me...I do think it is fair to politely say; you know, if you feel awkward signing the card because you aren't that close to her, you might feel uncomfortable at the event because that is also geared to the same audience...particularly if it isn't a fundraiser...

none of this may be something that irks you for long enough to be relevant....I just share it because when I was at a time in life when I was often irked by many people, it was not a good use of my time on this planet...and I wish I had that time back as a wiser, freer, happier person....none of that may apply to you....I simply share it in case it does...because I wish I had lived those times with less of that in my life

j_alexandra, Debra and mindputtee like this.
  16. fascination

whine buzz kill...and yes, I know I have an annoying habit of that.... I don't mean to sound pontifical

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. Hedwaite

Good points, all of them, and yes, my specific issue was with them actually saying "Well, whatever", and then perking up suddenly when they thought it might be something free from which they could benefit. Mostly, I try to use whining thread as First World Problems whining, but last night just hit me wrong. You don't use someone's memorial for its entertainment value. Another terrible habit I have is that I can't just bottle it up or get rid of it some other way, I have to SAY something about it, aloud or in text, and that's something I'll forever be working on, too.

18. fascination

gotcha....and again, I am not trying to be "all judgey" as my daughter would say :)

I think we all have to diffuse somehow...this thread is as good a place as any....I have a helping instinct...sometimes I can't help that either....even if it doesn't help...but I try to do it sparingly :)

Ailuene likes this.
  19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Just a thought about that, do you keep a journal? I know a lot of people find that very cathartic.

20. Hedwaite

I do write a lot in other projects, to try to keep from boring 'live' people, yep.