Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Lesson learned...go to the bathroom BEFORE you have to hold up 10kg of ballroom dress.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

3. Loki

Loki Active Member

Il Papa already has his Twitter feed up and humming: @pontifex
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and long life to him
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It's snowing. Again.

C'mon, it's almost April. Where is spring????
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I get one "drag me down for a week, then miserable for two more weeks" cold per year, at the beginning or end of the season where I have an activity crash that drains me.

This year, this is my third cold. WTMFF. I mean, they're reasonably "high-functioning" colds, but still. Ick.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ask that stupid groundhog.
  8. Loki

Loki Active Member

Are there no follows in this bloody town who dance am-am Standard?
    <snarl, growl, bay at the moon>
  9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Pssst come move to adelaide I need me a leader.

Whine: want to start doing some dance photos while I don't have a partner, but lenses are expensive. Really don't want to buy a lens that costs 4 times as much as my camera did.
  10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I've been working with a tiny-ish lens (ie 35-80mm) for the most part for my project, mostly because light is the issue and this lens is faster than most of my other zoom lenses that my parents have gotten for me or have handed down to me. However, in the US there are places that rent out lenses for a small fee. You can see if you really need the lens you want (I'm guessing a telephoto as those are the ones that are hugely expensive) or not. IDK if they have something like that in AU.

Or look for used equipment. I don't know if B&H services you, but they have a great used market and a really good reputation, where you can use a lightly used lens for much less than what new ones retail for.
  11. fascination

um...if you are of a compatible age and skill level and live close enough, there could be
    nikkitta likes this.
  12. fascination

F is 48, lives in NW Indiana and dances full silver to closed intermediate gold and is between five ft six and five ft 7....with what I consider to be pretty respectable credentials
  13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Glowing references also available :D
    j_alexandra likes this.
  14. fascination

aw...you sweetie
  15. Lillypad

Lillypad New Member

sigh, bought what looked like a full fringe dress from Shall We Dance designs, turns out it was missing two rows of fringe in the middle. It was on clearance so they're saying it's a final sale.
  16. fascination

maybe stone that area as if it is a belt?
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Or add an actual belt if it is for syllabus
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wish you lived closer, sigh.
  19. Sania

Sania Active Member

Austin, Texas - lots of us here! :)
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've been out of serious photography for a while, but back in the days when I was slinging a 35mm, the rule of thumb was that third-party lenses cost about half of OEM lenses of similar quality. For Minolta A-mount, which was what I used, Sigma was the third-party manufacturer. I had two of their zooms, a 35-70 and a 75-210, and those did the bulk of my shooting. I had a Minolta 50mm for low-light situations and a Minolta 28mm fisheye (which I later sold; I didn't find much use for it).
    Lioness likes this.