Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I keep my FB friends down to about 75 at all times. And, still there are some I could un-friend, and never miss.

2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I think mine's just under 80 now, and there are about ten who could go. I whittle them down after a time period after each series of classes. Some do use facebook for all their alerts, because you get them realtime, and often, facebook messaging is quicker and more reliable than voicemail tag, emails which get buried, etc.

LOL, most people 'collect' friends (the facebook definition of 'friend', that is, and there IS a difference) and brag about how high their number is, and here we are happy that we have low numbers.

Loki, dancelvr and nikkitta like this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Eyes are iiitchy.

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I had a terrible time with eye itching in Birmingham last weekend. Must have been some certain kind of pollen. I've had more allergy problems this spring than I've had in at least 20 years.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

allergies here as well

6. mindputtee

I got spring allergies for the first time ever this season. I can't remember if I took my allergy med this morning, so that could be the source of the itchiness.

7. Hedwaite

My super awesome just the right shade magenta sparkly pink kids' shoes' vamps are too narrow to cram my fat square but short foot in. It's not that I have puffy feet today, either. The same size, the same style fit okay before, but I guess sweatshop shoes come in all different interpretations of size 36.

8. Hedwaite

A student in one of our classes (I've mentioned it here before) has bumped up her major-major surgery to this month. The class is a very small group of friends who all go out for dessert after class and parties. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the best get-well gesture besides an everybody-signed card. She's into great coffee and chocolate and sparkly things, so I think I'm going with a small gift basket of that sort. Can anyone suggest a rare go-to treat for coffee or chocolate that isn't run-of-the-mill? I live in the armpit of the world, so sadly, my idea of "fancypants" snacks is going to the small international store in the college town nearby and getting cacao nibs and guarana soda.

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

By great coffee are we talking espresso? You could always include some fancy nice coffee beans. Chocolate-covered coffee beans?

Hedwaite likes this.
  10. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

How do two tiny animals make so much poop in one day?! I gotta stop feeding them...

Also it messaged the guy about the tryout...he's already found a partner! It's been a week. Damn.

11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Just checked, and details about my planned next comp are up... and they're requiring double the normal number (around here) of single dances to be eligible for scholarship. Pro and I have been working toward a scholarship debut at this comp for the better part of a year... and now I don't think I can afford to do it. Just the pro fees and entry fees puts me in the range of what I had budgeted and have set aside... add in my costs and pro's expenses and I don't think I can swing it. Feeling super-bummed.

Wondering if pro will cut me a flat-rate for his fees for this comp... they are the most expensive line item on the comp budget. Scared to ask, but I'm going to have to tell him that I don't think I can do our planned dances at the comp soon, so it might come up.

12. mindputtee

https://www.etsy.com/listing/184759137/gold-crystal-drip-hot-cup?ref=shop_home_active_12
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/177361543/pink-crystal-ombre-starbucks-cold-cup?ref=shop_home_active_11

Does she like starbucks? You could fill one of those with chocolate covered espresso beans then.

Lioness likes this.
  13. fascination

that bites...and I have to say that if organizers would like to really cut down on entries and cater only to the richest of the rich, that's certainly the way to do it....if you are saying that a comp is now requiring two sets rather than one in order to do a scholarship...well....that bites...I hope you aren't....but if you are, please pm me the comp so I can make sure not to go in the future

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Blurgh.

That is all.

Loki likes this.
  15. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Between now and mid-June can I please have more hours in each day? I am soooo far behind...

SwayWithMe likes this.
  16. Hedwaite

Have any of you who stoop to the level of teaching group classes to the commoners ever taught with an in-hand microphone? Also, have you ever taught a class without lining up leaders on one side and followers on the otherside whatsoever?

17. Hedwaite

Also, I think I'm going to try to do a gift-card for Starbuck's (wish we had a Gloria Jean's instead), or at least some good chocolate.

What a night. You don't ask someone to volunteer for a four hour event, then b*tch at them and try to tell them how to do their job- about which you know nothing- the whole time. Moral of the story: ALWAYS clearly define parameters and expectations beforehand. This one's on me- I was curious to see what would happen if I let an event coordinator have enough rope to hang themselves with, so that I know for certain which failsafes to keep in place for the next time.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hot property.

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not a group class, but I've done some lecturing with a hand-held mic. Never had a problem with it. However, for teaching a group, you might look into a headset mic and a wireless setup. You don't want to be dragging a cord around; it will get in the way.

I've never seen a group taught without lining up leads and follows, except for a few specials like rhythm recognition classes. I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

20. fascination

I have seen a coach give a worshop that started with everyone onthe same wall moving to the opposing wall doing basic forward motion foxtrot and also for rumba walks