Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm kind of cold natured and I tolerate heat well during the daytime (most office buildings are over-air-conditioned from my point of view). However, I find it hard to sleep in a hot room. I remember being at my grandmother's house when it was 105 during the day... not much of a problem, but at night the house was still hot and she had no air conditioning, and all of the fans in the world didn't make any difference.
    dancelvr and SwayWithMe like this.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I can't sleep in a hot room. I've had my fan on at night for a couple weeks now and it's only been highs in the mid to upper 80s.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Daggnabit. My cat just vomited up his medication. This is the stuff the cardiologist gave him to actually help with his condition and not just palliative stuff. He really needs to actually take it.

(Dude has high blood pressure and another clot just waiting to break off and cause another saddle thrombus.)
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I dread "real" summer. My bedroom window is on The Sunny End from 1:30 onward. Air conditioning or not, I feel it, and crap gets all faded if I don't keep methlab-grade window tint on my windows. I feel like breaking down and just going for foil and shoe-polish. Gila is expensive.
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

The obligatory quarterly org change just happened in my office, and it's basically like we're starting over for the third time on the project I was working on...hate feeling like poor performance is almost completely out of my control on this one.
  6. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

Absolutely detest feeling excluded. :(
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Made myself go for my run after work and was struck with killer calf and leg cramps that cut it short :(
  8. Hedwaite

I haven't gotten many leg cramps lately, but for awhile when I was dancing a lot more, it felt like a pit-bull had a hold of my calf and wouldn't let go- it wouldn't do it when I was exercising or winding down. It'd wait until I was dead asleep and wake me up out of a sound window-rattling snorefest with it. Then, it'd hurt all day long "residually". Is this one of those "you need more potassium/stay hydrated" things?
  9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

It could be. I had that problem. Not enough hydration. I was drinking too much coffee during the day, instead of water, and cocktails at night. I lived in a state of dehydration. And, at night....the leg cramps would arrive...ow. Drinking more water helped, for sure.
  10. sbrnsmith

I drink a lot of water thruout the day, so I doubt that I'm dehydrated. The cramps usually start after the first mile and always in my left leg. I tried foam rolling, but that did not help either. They usually go away once I stop running. I don't want to give up running because I feel it's one of the best exercizes for me.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

given what you list as your food intake in a day, it may actually be that you don't have enough stored energy in general, though why it would only cramp in the left leg would be something that you, as a physician, would be better at guessing than I
  12. fascination

I do echo what danclvr said about dehydration though....b/c, even if you drink a lot of water, if you also drink coffee and wine, you could still be dehydrated....and potassium and magnesium are another issue altogether....
    j_alexandra likes this.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Try eating a banana before each run? It's good electrolytes and a good source of instant energy to get you through.
  14. fascination

agree....I always tell folks; the hours leading up to your workout are not the hours to be calorie conscious and you need to be putting in the things that you will be spilling during exertion
    raindance likes this.
  15. sbrnsmith

Agree...I may not be getting enough calories for exercise. My trainer had me keep a food journal and she wants me to increase my calorie as well as protein intake. The reason I eat less is because I don't want to gain weight, also when I am at work, I just don't have time and forget to eat....however, exercise on a regular basis needs fuel, so I need to be more mindful of that.
    As far as bananas, they are the one fruit I cannot stand...but I do try to eat other fruits high in potassium. I have also started taking a magnesium tab everyday. Hoping it helps. As far as coffee, I don't have more than 2 cups a day and no more than a glass of wine...if it was a particularly tiresome day, I may have two.
  16. Cal

Cal Active Member

iTunes Match. I've been trying for DAYS to get one CD uploaded to the cloud.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sigh. I've put hours and hours into refinishing our poured concrete shower floor. I finally got to put the final coat of epoxy paint on it yesterday. I looked in on it before I went to bed last night and it looked fine. This morning... it has checked. Badly, and in the places where it has checked, it is soft and chalky -- it didn't set up at all. I'm going to have to sand the whole thing down to bare concrete again and start over. Thing is, I don't know what I'm going to use for a finish. The previous finish was concrete stain with a water sealer over the top, and that didn't hold up over the long run.
  18. Hedwaite

Have you ever really liked somebody, but really hated it when they're late or cancel a lot, and have even admitted that they're aware of that and don't really want to change? I don't know how to think about this, and don't want to be The Token Jerk about it.

And: Dear Quizno's- TOASTY doesn't mean quickly running a sandwich through the oven so that the cheese isn't melted and the meat is still cold. Burn it, or don't bother.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Lioness likes this.
  19. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Personally would avoid scheduling activities with them where their presence is essential. Then proceed with the activity as planned. If they show up, then great. If not, then oh well.
  20. fascination

why not try "hey, I think you're awesome...but what is it with the whole late-ness thing?"