Who did you like when you first started dancing? :D

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by J4cki3, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

It was funny -- not more than an hour after I posted about Mirelle V. as being my first favorite, I was on the floor competing and she was judging me :) (The marks show that I need to improve more to catch the eye of my first dance idol. :) )

Now my favorites in Standard are Domenico & Gioa from Italy.
  2. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I didn't even know competition existed when I started dancing; I guess the person I liked was whoever I was dancing with at the moment.

The first time I saw someone whose dancing actually impressed me? It was a couple - I didn't know who it was at the time - who were taking a lesson from one of the Barrs, who for some reason was at our studio for a few days. As best I can figure out, the couple was Joe Jenkins and Stacy Cuneen, who as far as I know never competed together.

The first actual show I liked was Hans and Anne Laxholm. I also remember really enjoying watching Steven Hillier practicing by himself after a competition had closed for the night, though I don't think I actually saw the Hilliers' show the next day.
  3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

You know, DM talked with Pierre V and told him that he was his inspiration for dancing. During the early 90's DM saw Pierre and Mirelle here in Atlanta doing a show and was astounded. This convinced him that this was what he wanted to do. So it was awesome having Pierre judging us. What a priveledge.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Beata, Slavik, and Joanna.

Have since added to the list; Bryan, Karina, and Yulia.
  5. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Slavik & Karina, Hanna Karttunen & Paul Killick, Yulia & Max
  6. ashybang

ashybang New Member

What a lovely question and an easy one to answer for me.
    This brings back many happy memories to remember and think of the greatest of champions. This couple were unbeatable for years and years and were a delight to watch.

` Richard and Janet Gleave.`

Recent dancers who i adore are Jonathan Wilkins dancing with Katusha Demidova. I love their Foxtrot and Tango. - I was sad they split.
    Mirko and Alessia seem to have everything, but my ultimate experience was Richard and Janet Gleave.

On the Latin side of things Alan and Hazel Fletcher were my idols originally, followed some time later by Donnie and Gaynor.

Recently i have liked Bryan and Carmen, though not with the same passion as the earlier Champions.

The current crop are by any `standard`, brilliant dancers!!! There`s just a little something missing for me though and i can`t even put my finger on what it is. sigh!
  7. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

For the record: Pierre A.
  8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Marcus and Karen Hilton. Unquestionably.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

isn't is odd how that works? and I have found that, for no reason that I can comprehend(beyond my un-dying admiration), the more Canadians on the judging panel, the better I fare...go figure
  10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Fred and Wilma :rolleyes:
  11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

One of the first couples I ever saw dance when I first started were Eddie Simon and Michelle Officer doing Am. Foxtrot. Back then, I knew virtually nothing about dancing - it was my 3rd comp ever, the Daytona Beach week-long dance festival, and Eddie and Michelle were on staff there. Each night, one staff couple did a show (so Jean-Marc/France, the Masons, Rutherford/Carroll all were there) and I just remember being amazed at theirs - so romantic and beautiful! Sometimes I still hear the song they danced to (can't think of it right now) and it just brings me back to that magical, for me at the time, performance. They really blew me away and now I don't even like Smooth that much:)

These days, people/couples that still amaze me are Yulia Z. and Mirko/Alessia.
  12. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

when I started it was all slavik and karina, I like paul and hanna too but slavik was my favorite. Nowadays i like Bryan watson, Franco Formica, Melinda TöRöKgyöRgy, Joanna Leunis, and Yulia Zagorouitchenko
  13. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Started watching dancing on PBS back when Gary and Diana, Jean Marc and France and Tony and Melanie were the top couples in Latin. Was in awe of them all...

Since I've started dancing, Slavik and Karina, Yulia and Max and Michael and Joanna became my faves. And even though he's not currently competing, love Max C's style...
  14. old dog

old dog Member

This is an easy question to answer: "Anyone who can dance better than us." (And that was most everyone when we first started.)

We have no idea who are most of the dancers that have been mentioned so far as inspirations and role models.

Out here in the hinterlands of dancing, it is extremely rare to see pro dancers other than on TV (OSB on PBS and recently DWTS). There are only three or four studios in the entire state of Iowa that emphasize ballroom dance and only one of these is owned by a well-known pro (Ed Simon, and he is not around very much). ["Well-known" has to be qualified -- if you would ask all of the hundreds of people we share the floor with, 95% would never have heard of Ed Simon.]

We would have to travel hundreds of miles to see a 'real' ballroom competition. After dancing at most of the eastern Iowa venues for well over ten years, we probably know or recognize most of the people who are frequent ballroom dancers in eastern Iowa and we know of only two or three people who have entered a national-level dance competition. (Some of the studio instructors probably have, but we don't know them or see them at social ballroom events very much.)

Don't feel sorry for us -- we enjoy dancing very much and hope to continue doing so for the rest of our years. We dance for many reasons and continue to take private lessons from a very good semi-pro instructor, but have never aspired to any kind of competition as it seems most Dance Forums posters do.

As an aside, I have noticed that most DF posters seem to emphasize the "I" when speaking of their dancing. Does that mean they dance without their spouse or SO? To me, dancing is a "we" process. Am I weird or maybe considered an "outsider" in the DF community? Just curious.
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

"I" think that most df posters use "I" b/c they aren't sitting at their computer with their partner and can't always speak for their partner...and it is true that a large amount of the ballroom forum is comprised of competitors but it certainly doesn't mean that one needs to aspire to compete to participate here....and speaking from the "hinterlands" myself...I can relate
  16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm going to answer this more in terms of who I particularly enjoy watching, rather than who inspires me. (It's not like I'm delusional enough to think I can dance "like" any of these people.) This is just about my personal pleasure and who I find a charismatic presence on the floor:

When I first started:
    LATIN: Bill Sparks and Kimberley Mitchell...and then when he started dancing in the U.S., Louis van Amstel
    RHYTHM: John Abrams and Adriana Chessa

Currently, the couples that give me the most pleasure to watch include:
    Andrei Gavriline and Elena Kryuchkova
    Eugene Katsevman and Maria Manusova
    Nikolai Pilipenchuk and Natasha Skorikova

I also get a lot of pleasure from watching the amateur events. (In fact, I often enjoy watching the amateurs as much or more than the pros, including the junior and youth events.) Some of my favorites (in various age categories) include:

Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Valeriya Kozharinova
    (Until recently) Tal Livsh*itz and Kate Kapshandy.
    Armen Petrosyan and Nicole Pyatetskya
    Allan Rudman and Michelle Tuzman
  17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Since CCM started naming some Am dancers, I'll say that I always enjoy watching Elijah Piker dance. I just wish she'd stick with a partner for more than a few weeks, lol:) Not even sure who she's dancing with right now... Also Pasha and Inna's standard is very fun to watch!
  18. NoDayButToday

NoDayButToday New Member

I really liked maria and eugene when I first started. I still enjoy them, but my favorite now is yulia and riccardo... I could watch them allllll day. :)
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

In my case I am unmarried and am not dating anyone, so I have no spouse or SO to be a "we" with. I don't have a dance partner either (although I'm looking for gentlemen to try out with) -- I take lessons from two teachers and compete with one. So unfortunately there is no "we" for me at this time. And even if there were, it's quite possible that we'd have different opinions on who we each liked the best!
  20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I was going to put her on my list too! The only reason I didn't is that I haven't actually seen her dance with Pasha Stepanchuk, who I believe is her current partner. (I liked him very much when he was dancing with Sasha Nissengolts, so I have a feeling I'll like the two of them together, but need to see it.)

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Danielle Karagach and Stan Faynerman, both of whom I enjoyed with previous partners.

I completely agree with Laura that just because two people are married doesn't mean they will have the same favorites. (CCP and I share a lot of favs in common, but there is one amateur latin male we disagree about rather strenuously!) We also don't agree on whether physician-assisted suicide ought to be legal, on whether it is possible to believe in an omniscient, omnipowerful God and still believe in free will, or on whether animals other than humans can "think" in any meaningful sense of the word. We have been having some of these debates on and off for over two decades, and if I can't win the debate about God or cats, I doubt I'm going to win the one about the latin dancer either.