Who Have You Dance Swing With?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DancePoet, Aug 5, 2005.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hi again folks ...

Who famous have you danced Swing with?

And who here on DF have you danced Swing with?

Feel free to share your stories and insights, too!

2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Sad we're not answering this! I've danced with swing4life (duh, he's my dance partner) and d nice.

3. luh

luh Active Member

I've danced with carla heiney - never had such a boring dance :?

almost danced with aina, and nathalie
    luh

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I answered this on the other thread " Who Have You Danced C&W With" because I danced both with some but not all that I mentioned. Here's my post. I'll edit out the C&W part.

I danced with:
    Rob I.
    Richard Kear
    Jordan Frisbee
    Robert Campos
    Kyle Redd (during a private)
    Edwin Li

a few others that I can't remember. We attend a lot of dance conventions and sometimes we get to dance with some of the pros. It's great fun and they are wonderful to dance with.

Danced with DFer -Vince and SDGuy at the Reno event a year or so ago. That was a fun event!

5. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I didn't even pay attention to the famous part, some of mine are famous-ish (regional):

John Festa
    Bill Cameron
    Myles Monroe
    Demtre Souliotes
    Erik Novoa
    Tybaldt Ulrich
    Hazel Mede-Ulrich
    Steve Nereen
    Arte Philips
    Yuval Hod
    Brian Faust
    Chuck Brown
    Anthony DeRosa (more famous for DJing)
    Doug Silton

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

A few of your names look familiar to me. Myles Monroe, Arte Philips, Chuck Brown. I'm sure I might recognize some of he others if I saw them.

7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

some like Bill are old-timers (not that he's that old, but hasn't competed in a long time)
    others like Brian are more regional (based in New England)

8. chandra

chandra New Member

Ive danced with swing4life
    same as leftfeetNYC mainly regionally well known

angel figero...(sp- im not even gonna try)
    jason barnes
    john lindo
    jason miklic... (may be right)
    matt auclair (in a class)
    austin murrey
    brian spivey (i think thats right)
    paul fritzler
    jim becker
    doug rosaur
    ben morris (warm up for a class)
    melina remirez ( " " )

9. luh

luh Active Member

how does he dance if it isn't choreographed. Was it fun?
    luh

10. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Dancing with him was hilarious. We were at a mixed dance, there was a bal room a lindy room and a westie room. He decided to give wcs a go and I was his victim..I mean I danced with him. He does a lot of slides which is unusual for westies in NYC, but because of lindy his connection is incredible and his lead is just wonderful. It was a good dance. We've got another mixed event coming up in September so maybe I can make him be my victim and give lindy a go.

11. luh

luh Active Member

cool. I really enjoyed his classes when he was in Switzerland. He is a fun guy!
    luh

12. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I have only been dancing for about 18 months. Since I am supposed to lead, HAHA, and since I feel I have nothing to offer (except boredom or a moment of embarrassed humor) those of the more capable---escpecially the more famous, I will probably not dance with anyone famous in the near (as in my lifetime) future. I understand the principal, I dance with those few are less capable than I, it helps them get started and I learn to be a more definitive lead. But me asking any of those mentioned here to dance would be way beond the pale.

13. chandra

chandra New Member

Who knows, you may be asked! Pro girls ask novice guys sometimes... Its not unheard of, there nice!

Actually, the first night of a recent convention, when i didnt know who the regional pros were, I probably asked a few by accident. I dont have a problem asking novice or intermediate guys to dance, but I try to avoid asking pros, as if they want to dance with me, thats there choice, but I dont want to press that on them. :oops:

Dont worry, youll get there in your lifetime!

14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Not all the people I listed with are pros, some are just regionally famous. Anthony De Rosa is a DJ around NYC. He gets asked to play a lot of WCS events, and while good, is by no means a top pro. He's a great guy too.

While it's not good to bombard a pros night with novices, they really don't mind dancing with just anyone. They're out to have a good time and dance, if you ask they will and they'll make it fun. Don't worry about skill level and just have fun dancing with the pros. Personally, I get the feeling it's got to be tough being a pro, no one asks you to dance except this small circle of other pros because the rest of the dance world is too scared to ask. I feel bad for them.

True story: A guy at an event is a clear novice. All the other novice and intermediate followers are avoiding him because they just can't seem to make a dance work with him. As a result he's not getting much dancing in and not having a great time. Tatiana asks him to dance, other followers cringe and feel bad that she doesn't know what she's getting into. Well she sticks to basics, smiles the whole time, ads a little bounce like he's got going on, mimics some of his moves that other found awkward and the guy has a great dance and starts having fun again. Granted the story says something about Tatiana's personality and I've only ever heard wonderful things about her, but it also is proof that you shouldn't just stick to your skill range. He may have been one of the lesser skilled dancers in the room, but she had fun, and he got some encouragement and had fun too.

15. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

Nice story, and tells loads about Tatiana's personality and her levelheadedness. Also tells alot about her skill level. Like I said, I understand the principal, and I probably understand that the true pros are less hung about it than us regular human beings, but I refuse to try and steer a Ferrari with a mulecart. Does a disservice to the Ferrari, and scares the hell out of the mule.

16. chandra

chandra New Member

I agree with that! However, as a follow, for some reason, can get it through my head that its ok to ask pro's to dance. It seems... not right somehow... But I have a problem asking anyone to dance... Im shy!

17. chandra

chandra New Member

exactly!

18. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

You, my dear, are a Ferrari! At the least, given your youthfulness, an MG!

19. chandra

chandra New Member

errrrrm.... A chrysler sebring convertible.

I have been dancing less than half the amount of time you have, so... To me you are also a... fancy car :?

lol.

20. luh

luh Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: