Who Have You Dance Swing With?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DancePoet, Aug 5, 2005.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I feel like such a beginner next to you guys lol. I've only danced with Will Carlton. But we are having a major Swing competition next year, so I'll be able to have more on my list in the future lol!
  2. chandra

chandra New Member

angel figero...(sp- im not even gonna try)
    jason barnes
    john lindo
    jason miklic... (may be right)
    matt auclair (in a class)
    austin murrey
    brian spivey
    paul fritzler
    jim becker
    doug rosaur
    ben morris (warm up for a class)
    melina ramirez ( " " )
    Mike Topal
    Carlos Garcia
    Michael Keilbasa

Havent updated this in like a year, funnily, I dont think its actually changed that much ;)

----------
    Edwin Lee
    Andrew Sutton
    Jim Minty
    Jason Marker
    Brian Faust
    Christopher Hussey
    Will Carlton
    Bill Cameron
    Myles Munroe
    Tessa Cunningham (both lead and follow)
    Tatiana Mollman (both lead and follow: in a lesson)
    Angie Cameron (led her socially a few times, followed her in a lesson)
    Erica Berg (led and followed her socially)
    Sophie Kdepp (led and followed)
    Maren Oslac (She led me)
    Tera Vitale (She led me)
  3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

My list is long as it combines WCS and Lindy pros. I'm friends with quite a few of the people on my list, as is Chandra, so it's easy to have danced with a lot of people that way. She and I also travel a lot, as do a few other people on DF -- when you're out enough people start to recognize you and it's easier to ask/be asked to dance.

There are a handful of pros/famous people who I'm still too afraid to ask (Dawn Hampton) and others I'm friends with but am never in the ballroom at the same time. Living in NY there's the benefit that many pros come into town for mini vacations before/after nearby events. VinceA also happens to be in an area where there are many easily accessable events that many pros go to and studies with one of the best.

I'm also very active in the community, same as randommysh, so we meet a lot of people which leads to dancing. Mysh helps run StrictlyWestie which is a forum for WCS and very visable at events, I am on the board for Gotham Swing Club and run a magazine for swing dancers.

The more you start to travel and meet people the easier it will be to get a large list, even at the beginner stage. A good chunk of my list danced with me in my wee early sucky stages and still do now that I'm past the wee early portion. Be aware that just being at events doesn't guarentee dances with the pros/famous peoples because often they hang-out with friends outside the ballroom. I'd suggest taking a few privates with one half of a famous pro couple, as you do that you'll meet more and more pros making getting dances easier. They're nice people, but it can be intimidating if you don't know them (or even if you do..see Dawn Hampton note above).

Update:
    Oh and I realized I have to add Chris Hussey as well and Heidi G. of SYTYCD (was going to start studying with her until the show happened). Plan on working Kevin St. Laurant in tonight.
  4. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

OK, breaking this up so it's more easy:

WCS:
    John Festa
    Bill Cameron
    Myles Monroe
    Demtre Souliotes
    Erik Novoa
    John Lindo
    Hazel Mede-Ulrich
    Steve Nereen
    Doug Rousar
    Arte Philips
    Brian Faust
    Chuck Brown
    Anthony DeRosa
    Carlos Garcia
    Kyle Redd
    Jason Barns
    Jason Miklic
    Jason Colacino
    Edwin Li
    Parker Dearborn
    Robert Cordoba
    Larry Mongeau
    Heavy Grammer
    Damon Stone
    Michael Kielbasa
    Jordan Frisbee
    Robert Royston
    Chris Hussey
    Heidi G. (SYTYCD)

Lindy:
    Yuval Hod
    Chris DiMaci
    Frankie Manning
    Phil Onochie
    Margaret Batichuck
    Vincenzo Fesi
    Andy Reid
    Todd Yannacone

Balboa:
    Mickey Fortanasce
    Joel Plys

Cross Over:
    Doug Silton
    Tybaldt Ulrich
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks for the insight. I hopefully will begin my traveling next year, or that is what I'm hoping if everything goes according to plans. There will possibly be two major events that I will get to go to, and maybe a few smaller ones in between. I'm not shy about meeting people though lol. I was the one that went up to Will Carlton lol. That took a lot of guts on my part though, but I thought it's my once in a lifetime chance so I took it. I hope that you guys travel to the one that we are holding next year! It should be fun. I've never been to one, so it will be a learning experience. I don't know if I want to compete, but I will definitely help out somehow maybe by being a runner or something. And if I do compete, I won't expect much at all. Either way I'll be there!
  6. chandra

chandra New Member

Doh *smacks head* thanks Christina
    Also lead and followed Dawn Hampton
  7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Grrrr. I can no longer be friends with you. Seriously you danced with my 72 year old dance crush.

She tackled me by the bathroom last night to save me from scary dancer who'd been stalking me -- he didn't even let me get my coat off before asking me to teach him how to dance -- hello, I don't even know what I'm doing! But do love her. First she was trying to flag me down and intercepted him after I had ditched him and hid in the ladies room.

Got my dance with Kevin St. Laurent in too. YUMMY! Such a smooth and awesome lead.
  8. chandra

chandra New Member

ooh, jealous!
    All the lindy pros Ive danced with (WCS) always have SUCH a nice connection!
  9. chandra

chandra New Member

totally forgot about Kyle Redd... *blush*
  10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

What do you think of Damon? He's coming to our studio's competition next year, and I'm trying to decide which of these instructors I want to take privates from. I'm only going to do one private per instructor if I can. It will depend on the cost.
  11. chandra

chandra New Member

Whom do you have to choose from? I believe Damon is (or was) an actively participating member of this forum. D nice? The thread a couple down on biomechanics and lindy is a good one to read, he talks about his teaching and learning theories etc.
  12. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

DNice = Damon

Not sure how often he checks here now.

I know nothing about his teaching style to be able to say take a private.

I do know he is very knowledgeable about blues and swing dancing.
  13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I'd like to talk to him! I'll have to research his screen name lol. Anyways, it's going to be Erik Robison and Sylvia Skylar, Minn Vo and Corina Acosta, Damon Stone, and Kerry Ward. Then it's going to be three others that are locally, and if Damon reads this, he'll know what event this is I'm sure! I'd just like to set up some privates while they are here, but I have to save the money to be able to do so! What do you all think?
  14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Those are all Lindy instructors. If you want Lindy, I'd recommend a private with any of them. If you want WCS take a private with Damon.
  15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh that's good to know! Now I feel better about where I put my money! Thanks! ;)
  16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks Chandra! I checked out some of his threads. I also got to see what he looks like. I can't wait to meet him! ;)
  17. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

While I recommend Damon out of all those instructors, please don't mistake him for a WCS pro. He's not. His background is in more traditional lindy and blues (aka vernacular jazz). He just happens to know WCS.
    I suggest him only if you're determined to take a private that weekend.

Here's his bio:

18. luh

luh Active Member

+ ramona staffeld
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, I appreciate all of the information! I pm'd him, but he may not answer I don't know. Either way I guess I'll meet him there that weekend! I plan to help out if they need help, so I'll definitely be there. And hey it's going to be neat meeting another DF'r. :D
  20. d nice

d nice New Member

Hola!

That Damon guy... plllbbtt!!!

He talks a lot and thinks just because he has studied with a bunch of old people and read a lot that he, oh wait...

I'm sorry someone said my name?

It's like Beetlejuice, three times and I appear.

Monsters is going to be SO much fun. I normally charge $80 for a private, but because I love Monsters and Tammy so much, and miss all my free time participating on this board... anyone who has posted on this board gets a half price private.