Who Have You Dance Swing With?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DancePoet, Aug 5, 2005.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha... I guess you answered my pm question here about privates lol! You don't have to charge me any less. I am so looking forward to Monsters even if I don't get to dance at all lol. I'm going to help out no matter what and take everything in, so I will be there! I hope to see other DF's there too lol.

2. luh

luh Active Member

So - Update and a complete list:

Ramona Staffeld (USA)
    Katja Uckermann (Darmstadt, Germany)
    Alice Mei (Montpellier, France)
    Ida (Paris, France) (no clue what her second name is)
    Andrew Sutton (USA)
    Kevin St. Laurent (Barcelona, Spain)
    Simona (Bern, Switzerland)
    Max Pitruzella (Canada)
    Patrick Szmidt (Israel)
    Ali (Darmstadt, Germany)
    Annie Trudeau (Canada)
    Carla Heiney (USA)
    Valerie Salstrom (USA)
    Marty Klempner (USA)
    Emily Hoffberg (France)
    Thomas Blacharz (Montpellier, France)
    Dax Hock (currently Montpellier, France)

I hope this is fairly complete.
    luh

3. Luvs2Lindy2

Luvs2Lindy2 New Member

>Who famous have you danced Swing with?

I have danced many a nice, slow bluesy dance with the inimitable Dawn Hampton. She does a fine job as a lead and interpreting the music. However, my most memorable "famous" dance was with Ryan Francois. At the time, I had no idea who he was (though I had seen him on Broadway in "Swing"). All I know is that I saw this new, cool dancer at Frim Fram (NYC's regular Thursday dance) and just had to dance with him. He led me in moves I didn't know i could even do! Unbelievably precise and innovative, Ryan is the epitome of what a GREAT lead should be. It was only after dancing a whirlwind Lindy with him that Dawn told me who he was! I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time....I might have gotten nervous with my moves all frozen. Ahhhh....that dance will stay in my memory box for many a year to come!

4. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

How many people made it to Monster's of Swing this weekend? It was only a one-day event, but I found it well worth the drive for me. The place they held it was a little awkward to find and still needs some work done on their parking lot, but the event was SO COOL!!! :cool: It wasn't a huge event, by any means, but it was big for the area. All kinds of people showed up with all sorts of dance backgrounds, and it was a fun exposure to lindy hop for me, since I've never really been around that dance much.

I ran into some people who told me about a really cool charity ball coming up called Springfield's May Ball. I heard that it's going to be hosted by a few different ballroom teachers so there should be a decent dance crowd there for a fun evening! I'm going to see what else I can find out, but it sounds like a great dance opportunity for this area!

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm not sure if I should reply to this or not. But to be honest, I had forgotten all about the competition! I am so sorry that I missed you. I had told Tamara that I was going to go, and then I forgot. I have been having such a busy spring though. I have had a lot of things to plan for, so this completely slipped my mind, and I know I'm going to get it too, because I told Tamara I would help out!!! Oh well. I'm glad that I didn't confirm that I was going lol. Oops! :p

And I haven't heard about the Springfield May Ball. I've been paying attention to competitions and things like that only for right now. Is that going to be a competition, or is it going to be a plain night of dancing?

Did you meet a lot of people at the Swing comp.? You probably met Adam. He's a character. I've danced with him several times. He's fun to dance with, but he's pretty wild yet. So, the girls find him hard to dance with. I think that his only problem is that he gets so much into leading that he forgets about the other person lol. He knows the steps, and he's got technique, but he needs to remember that he does have a partner lol, and that it's not all about Adam lol. Such a cutie though, and so fun! ;)

6. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

I didn't make the swing event either. Lindy's not my dance anyway, but I'm sure it was fun. Sounds like she had a good turnout.

The May Ball is a charity ball and there are quite a few dancers involved. Should be fun.

And if it's the same Adam, unless there are 2 Adams, he's actually left that studio and is in training at another studio. I've danced a few times with him. And yeah, he seems like a pretty nice guy.

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Adam with the blonde hair lol? He might have left the studio. I don't really know. I don't attend group things any more. I've had to really cut back on what I can spend. But at one time, we had talked about partnership. But tooooo many things got in the way of that, and I'm fine with it. I wasn't ready to have a partner at that time, nor am I ready now. I just have so much going on that I'm lucky I can get any lessons in at this point. I'd like to get to a competition by the end of the year, but my schedule might not allow me to do so, and that's ok too. Things happen for a reason.

The only other guy that I became familiar with that might have attended was James. He took me under his wing. I keep wanting to call him Matt though, because he reminds me of Matt lol. I've seen him at his place of work a couple of times, and I meant to say hi to him. But he was surrounded by a bunch of workers, so I didn't want to you know humiliate him any if they didn't know he danced. :D

I'll have to think about the May Ball. Charity is always a good thing to support even if it's not a competition. What kind of charity are they supporting?

8. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Hope you get to dance again soon.

The ball benefits MS.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thank you! I'm thinking about taking my tax refund and signing up with a new contract to get some more lessons in. But then I'm thinking, I probably should save some of that money. Oh well.

Do they have a date set up for the ball yet?

10. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

May 12

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

One last quick question, and then I'll ask my instructor for the other information. Is it going to be formal attire? What kind of dress are we to wear?

12. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Am hoping to see formal, as it is a 'ball,' implying certain formalities. But am sure it will run the gamut.

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm hoping for formal attire too. I think that would be fun. It's not that often you get to play dress up as it is! Thanks! ;)

14. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

15. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks for posting all of that information! DancinAnne, have you and your husband ventured out and started a new business? I wasn't sure if I read that information right. I might end up going. I think it's for a good cause, and I want to get dressed up!!!

Oh sorry... you don't have to answer that if you don't want to.

17. chandra

chandra New Member

Hehe, in the last 6 mos since I updated this, I dont think Ive danced with any new pros. The better I get, the less pros I dance with. lol. :D.

18. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

You're welcome. The Ball should be a fun evening!

Actually, we have a couple of dance-related business entities that we've been working for awhile now. Dance With Me is one of them.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well congrats! If I can go to the ball, I will. It depends on my schedule and if I have to head out of town or whatever. I usually take a trip out to Philly to see my parents once a year to have a little bit of fun, but I'm not sure when that's going to be this time around. However, if I plan early... then I might be able to go. I'm already thinking what dress I want to wear! Thankfully, my instructor called me today, so I can get back into gear. Weird timing on his part since I was thinking about calling him, but I suppose since I missed the competition lol... I'm going to get a lecture now. ;)

20. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Same.

I find that at the beginning stages it's a thrill to dance with pros whenever you get the chance. But the longer you've been in the scene and the better you get, the less of a big deal it seems.

There's also a difference in "I danced with a pro" and having it been a one-time thing vs. dancing regularly with friends who happen to be a pro. When that's the case you stop thinking of them in terms of a name to add to a list.