Who here can do the splits?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Boynextdoor, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Has anyone started a thread like that?...
  2. lynn

lynn New Member

i think there's a similar thread under ballroom.....
  3. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Well let's start it here!

I can! Who else? Come on folks! I get paid by how many people respond!
  4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I could do them thirty years ago!
  5. lynn

lynn New Member

duplicated thread - there's a similar thread started under General Discussion
  6. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

She was looking for help, though... Please, Lynn? Can't we keep this one? Please?
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

oh, sorry, i didn't mean to delete this one, i just thought it would be nice if we keep the information under the same thread - easier for future reference.

P.S. I think you'd get more response if this thread is moved under General Discussion. Usually threads under DA is unrelated to dancing.
  8. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

I didn't think it was related to dancing...

How do you move it?
  9. lynn

lynn New Member

not to worry, the moderators will move it.
  10. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Okay, thanks!
  11. diputs

diputs New Member

Not me. For a long time I could not even touch my toes. (with my legs straight)
  12. la morena

la morena New Member

But you can now? How did you learn?
  13. diputs

diputs New Member

I can now.

Stretching three days a week with a partner assisting. And it took me two years.

I think that flexibility is either completely natural or comes out of necessity. Mine was out of necessity.

Supposedly, can anyone confirm this, that women are naturally more flexible than men because of estrogen. Apparently because a woman's body needs to stretch for child birth, they were given the natural ability to be more flexible.

I should try to look this up.
  14. diputs

diputs New Member

Apparently it is just hip flexibility.

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch31.html
  15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I used to be incredibly flexible...and I'm hoping to gain some of it back. I was reading up on the internet last night and came across this guy's website (Kurtz). Great stuff. I did look at a couple of places that reviewed his books and dvds and wasn't thrilled enough to want to order either of them. The problem is that his website has great breakdowns on the types of flexibilities there are and what type of exercises to do accordingly, but to spare myself any injury, I'd prefer to see them done rather than read my way into doing them. I'm too old to be doing things incorrectly.
  16. Medira

Medira New Member

I can oversplit and pull my way through a full middle split too. I still have good hip flexibility, but nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Like you, MQ, I'm working hard to regain as much of my flexibility as I can.
  17. tj

tj New Member

Does banana count?
  18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i split my hair down the middle yesterday.. had to warm up some considerable time.. but overall it was easy
  19. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I could do them fifty years ago! And cartwheels and back bends and all that stuff that sounds really painful now.
  20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I can still pull off a front handspring, cartwheels and roundoffs; nothing backwards, tho.