Who here can do the splits?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Boynextdoor, Dec 22, 2005.

1. diputs

diputs New Member

I ran into my previous gymnastics teacher at a practice party earlier this week.

I cannot imagine trying to do the gymnastics stuff anymore. Although I have been known to do a handstand or two. I miss doing things that take my body upside down.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

When I'm upside down, my fillings hurt! So, I don't do gymnastics much anymore either (although I usually can't help myself if I see a balance beam). I can't jump on a trampoline anymore either...anyone who has delivered children will understand why *LOL*

3. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Once upon a time... Actually it's something I'm trying to be able to do again. I'd like to be able to do them with my legs straight to the side, right leg to front, left leg to front, and while standing (like Melody did on So You Think You Can Dance).

I have some major stretching work ahead of me, but we'll see what happens. Also hoping to be able to gain the flexibility for heel stretches and scorpions.

4. Medira

Medira New Member

I used to be able to do all of that too...until I hyperextended my elbows. When I couldn't do gymnastics any more, I took up diving. (springboard and platform)

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Wanna do splits! I hope I'm not too old...

Twilight Elena

6. Medira

Medira New Member

Not at all.

7. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

:p

8. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Not the case for me...I'm very stiff.

My felxibility has improved alot, like for backbends, leg stretches (when touching the floor). But like the sitting in the lotus position, impossible, and it does not get better. But I heard that one needs to stretch like every day. Maybe then I'll be able to do the spilts.

9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I am not very flexible, decent. My partner is amasing though. He can do anything to his body, any sort of split, rotation etc... Haven't seen a guy that flexible outside of contortionist performances...

10. gracie

gracie Active Member

18 could never be too old--Happy Birthday!:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

11. gracie

gracie Active Member

Progesterone not estrogen- you were close!:raisebro:

12. gracie

gracie Active Member

Oh yes, the old days of being able to do a split and think nothing of it! I ordered my ballet bar and in the catalogue was this stretching device that you can use by yourself. I'm thinking of getting it. I also have some major work ahead. I know WEE CAAN DOO ITTT!:uplaugh:

13. diputs

diputs New Member

I knew it wasn't testosterone! :)

14. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Never done the splits, or even tried to. I took up dance far too late for that.

However, I can touch my toes. And bend even further, so that my elbows are half-way to the floor...

Thank you, Jane Fonda! :cool: :D

Rosa ;)

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I can ..but only right leg forward...dont know why

16. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I think it's the same as in one foot always being a little bigger than the other. One leg could be a bit more flexible than the other.

Twilight Elena

17. chandra

chandra New Member

I can!

All 3 ways~!

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i like chandra.. have no idea why

19. chandra

chandra New Member

YOu know what? I dont know how to do emoticons on this new stuff yet!!! HELP!!!

Sabor:
    _^ Wait till you see my oversplits ;)

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member