Who is attending the 50+ Dancesport?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by twodance, Mar 1, 2010.

1. twodance

twodance New Member

This is the first year for the 50+ Dancesport Challenge. The only ballroom dance competition in the world for dancers 50 and over. The schedule is 10-11 Registration and practice, 11-12 Standard, 12-1 Latin, 1-2 Solos, 2-3 Smooth, 3-4 Rhythm, 4-5 Solos. Friday night dance from 7-11 is just $10.00pp and open to the public. This is part ofthe Arnold Classic and the Ohio Senior Olympics.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I hope members who participate/attend will chime in and share their experience :)
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

It is certainly not the only ballroom competition for dancers 50 yrs and older! EVERY competition in USA Dance has +50 categories.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I know several people who are participating. I wish I could go watch the competition, but my schedule doesn't allow it.
  5. twodance

twodance New Member

All NDCA and USA Dance competitions have all age levels from Juniors on up.Swing events and C&W events have Masters divisions plus all age levels.
    But this ballroom competition is for dancers ONLY 50 and over. No one under fifty is allowed to compete. The Pro may be under fifty but the students and Amateur couples have to be fifty and over. There are different age divisions from 50 thru 80+. Check out the Arnold Expo 2010 web site under 'Active Living' for entry forms and rules.
  6. twodance

twodance New Member

See above
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Why is 50 the cut off age, instead of 45 for example? It seems with 45 there might be more participants.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...I will be 45 in the Fall and I am guessing one reason might be that one who is 45 hasn't yet had proper time to adjust to being in a category for 45 and up :)
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Age is only a number. ;)
  10. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Indeed :)
  11. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

This event is part of the Sr Olympics and by definition Sr Olympicis is for 50 and above. It would make no sense or should just one event be changed to promote participation. If there is no interest it will just go away.

This however is not the first year ballroom has shown up. It actually began I think 4 years ago or so as a exhibition event only, and so it appears it is gaining ground to be turned into an actual event. For anyone who feels that ballroom should be in the Olymipcs this could be wonderful test ground to see if it is possible and should offer support.

My sis is a cyclist in the Sr Olympics and I travel with her to events now and then. It is quite amazing to see the 50+ ladies in kick @## shape competing.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I noticed from the calendar that Heritage and Las Vegas Showdown are this week.
  13. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

not quite: 45+ and 55+, could make a big difference for a couple at their low 50th, some NDCA comps have 50+, but I prefer USA DANCE age categories, they are in sync with the world
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What are the USA Dance categories?
  15. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Senior 1 is 35+, Senior 2 is 45+, Senior 3 is 55+, Senior 4 is 65+ . Both partners have to be within the described age category
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Thank you.
  17. twodance

twodance New Member

The age of 50 and up was done by the Ohio Senior Olmpics. All of the participants in any of their events must be at least fifty. When I was growing up seniors were 65 and up. When did I become a senior gosh darnit! ?! I have some 70-80 year old students that run me ragged. Like you said age is just a number. Remember there's still time to enter.
  18. twodance

twodance New Member

Right now we have full day scheduled. The heats start at 11:am and ends at 4:30 pm. Last year the open dance in the evening had over 300 people. This year we expect to have around 500. Come on over and party with us.
  19. twodance

twodance New Member

Huge Success !!

Just got home from the First 50+ Dancesport Challenge. For the first year we had over 230 heats ! Starting at 10: am till 5:pm. Top teachers where Patrick Clements, Dan Barazza and Sasha Zeitsev. Top Solo Routine was Nancy Perrin for her 'Matrix' routine. The evening dance had over 500 people. Great start of a great competition. Next year bigger and better things. Thanks to everyone. Special thanks to Marcia Grant and Nancy Perrin for their help. See everyone next year.