Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. BlueDingo

BlueDingo New Member

Dancers smoke for the same reason models do, to stay skinny. Nicotine prolongs the need for food by filling you up and suppressing hunger. I also think they smoke for the relaxing sensation it gives on hectic, stressful days, especially during long and hard practices. They're to many pressures on girls professionally to be skinny and have "the perfect body" and that is the main reason that drives girls to smoke.

I do not smoke, just to clarify.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

gosh darnit!! When's this thing gonna kick in?!?!

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Indeed I'll go buy a carton of camels at the px right now if I can get that side effect. :)

4. Peaches

No kidding, right?

You mean I've been trying to limit my smoking, and thinking that I smoke because I enjoy it, and the rituals around it, and the habit, and the relaxation...and because I'm addicted (either to the nicotine or the above things)...and I could have been smoking so much more and gettin' skinny?

Dangit! So much time, just wasted!

Somebody pass me a lighter!

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Man, just about 5, and REALLY want to pick up a pack now. Been insanely busy day, Tier 3 (or 1? acn't remember which order they number them in) above us pushed down a new policy, one day early, that hass about a third of the base not able to login to their computers. Been scrambling all day trying to fix this for people, and have to do it individually, can't push a mass fix.

6. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Worse! Why do oncologists smoke. Now, there's the rub

7. Peaches

Don't do it, etp. Believe me, I understand. But if you've managed to be quit for this long, don't start again.

8. saludas

saludas New Member

FYI, every time you see a size 20 standing outside a building, in freezing weather, eyes scrunched in that 'smoker's crinkle', it's one more sign that 'smoking for beauty' does not work....

9. spectator

spectator Member

Sooooo.....

If I roll my own blend and put in some broccoli florets as the filter.......?

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um...you know I love you... but cancer makes one very very skinny and it ain't worth it...which I know you know...you are beautiful just the way you are

11. Peaches

Oh, I know. I was being purely facetious. Having a bit of fun being a smart-alec.

12. fascination

I know but...well...I worry about you sometimes...can't help it

13. Peaches

I know, and I appreciate it. I worry about me, too. Sometimes, though, words/posts of mine are a way of dealing with and deflecting criticism before someone has the chance to make something more of it. ;-)

14. fascination

15. DoALittleDance

DoALittleDance New Member

You are so right. I'm trying to quit right now, and it is quite the journey. I imagined it would be soooo much easier than it is. Hopefully i can stick to it!

16. melissalive33

melissalive33 New Member

I think its a completely social thing

17. fascination

well it may start as a social thing but it is an addiction as powerful as heroin

18. noobster

noobster New Member

I understand the point you are trying to make, but I'm guessing you have never seen anyone in the acute stages of withdrawal from heroin?!!

19. fascination

didn't say the withdrawal was as bad...only that the addiction was as strong...which has been backed up by research studies...pardon my inability to access them several years out from the source...but yes, I have seen a variety of withdrawal scenarios...including crack babies...not fun...

20. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Best wishes to those of you trying to quit. I've never smoked myself but I'd imagine it can take a lot of will power to give up. But just think in your mind how good you'll feel/look without the smoking. < that's something I kept thinking of when losing weight. It can be done - it's all in your head.

ditto. I carpet burned my jazz shoes with some 80s music :(

[​IMG]