Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Very appropriate u/n for that. ;)
  2. pnoisette

pnoisette New Member

Maybe they want to look like this?

Hate the smell on the breath of a partner who smokes. No two words about it: it stinks. As for will power, don't think it works that way: smoking is an addiction like alcoholism and addictions go way beyond a matter of "willing" oneself to quit.

[​IMG]
  3. KathyInKY

KathyInKY New Member

You are so right, pnoisette!

As a new dancer and a new quitter I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this thread. Cheers to the original poster!
  4. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Congratulations on your accomplishment. If you have not smoked today you have already quit. You never have to go through it again. I smoked for many years and hated it most of them. Thank God I have been smoke free for over a decade, but I will never forget. It was tough but well worth it. If one has never had the addiction, a real true addiction to nicotine, one has no idea what it is like.
    Quit for you. You're worth it.
  5. Bella

Bella New Member

I'm bringing this article back up in clear view of fellow DFers - Very important article. I've seen too many dancers smoking and I wonder - how will you accomplish your dream if you're killing yourself while chasing it?
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this would be a far better place to continue the argument (so that I don't end up locking the other one)
  8. aarushi2

aarushi2 New Member

It makes sense that smoking and professional dance go hand in hand. First, smoking is a proven weight deterrent and many dancers fight a constant battle to keep pounds off. Besides being an oral pacifier, nicotine also speeds up your metabolism, an added attraction for dancers always looking to find an edge.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, aarushii2. :-D
  10. pbdc

pbdc New Member

I don't think smoking would prove that beneficial to your dancing. Even if smoking boosted your metabolism, wouldn't the damage to your lungs outweigh the benefits, especially in dances like jive/quickstep?
  11. manos311

manos311 New Member

I don't think that professional dancers start to smoke to keep their weight down, probably they started smoking at a young age, before they could understand the risks. In order to quit, you need dedication and calmness, and being a professional dancer who trains for competitions can be very stressful. So they just keep smoking, thinking that there are a few "benefits" from smoking, like keeping their weight down, and taking their stress away.
  12. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I think it has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with stress; I should know, I used to be a smoker for 10 years and I only started it to make my husband quit.
    I used to be a smoker, I didn't use to be a dancer so who knows...However, I used to be (or still am?) boulimic and weigth control is obsessive there. Still, smoking is not something boulimics do to keep their weight down.
  13. chrislo

chrislo New Member

Why does anyone smoke? That is the question.

I don't see what dancing has to do with it.

It's the same as any form of addiction why do people do it. Chocolate, alcohol, or any other drug for that matter.
  14. Dragonfly934

Dragonfly934 New Member

Smoking / venting

There are a couple of instructors who smoke at my studio, and I know one of my own instructors smokes since I saw him doing it outside of the hotel at a competition. Honestly, it broke my heart since he's so young and appears to be healthy otherwise. I work in the healthcare field, so it's hard for me to see anyone smoke, especially someone I feel close to. I've seen actual physical lungs damaged from smoke in a pathology class, helped with surgeries on people whose medical problems stemmed from smoke, etc.

I've grown close to my instructors, and I think that after dancing with them so closely for a while and talking a lot with each other about various things, we've grown to have a trust and connection among us. I wish I could say something to the one who smokes, eg, has he ever thought of quitting and that I know effective ways to quit if he wants the help. I know that it's none of my business, but I wish I could help him before it's too late.

I anticipate that most people will say that I shouldn't say anything, that it's none of my business, so I guess part of this post is just to vent and wonder, does anyone out there feel the same about their own instructors if they smoke?
  15. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

I think that most started smoking, as did I, when a teen and it made you seem cool. The reason adults smoke is because it's highly addictive but otherwise don't enjoy it much. I consider myself lucky that I was able to quit 30 years ago, after several unsuccessful attempts.
  16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

*Why* is there a societal stigma against telling people to quit smoking? I agree there is one, but I don't see why advising people to quit is stigmatized more than smoking itself.
  17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

What does it accomplish? Are you telling someone that's too illiterate to read the warning on the package? That's been living under a rock for the last 10-40 years?
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I remember once, when I was talking to a GF who smokes, trying to be accepting and non-judgmental. I said, "If you want to smoke, smoke. That's fine. If you want to quit, quit. I've got your back." She said, "Listen honey. There's not one person out here smoking today that WANTS to smoke. We know it's bad for you. We know it's wrong. We smoke because we have to, not because we want to."

That opened my eyes, a little. I see no purpose in telling someone that smoking is bad. They already know. I think that my telling them, if I were to tell them, would be about me, not about them. In my experience with addicts, it would accomplish little other than potentially alienating me from them.

The GF I mentioned above started smoking as a teenager and quit when she was in her thirties. She started smoking again about five years ago when he only son contracted an unexplained case of encephalitis and nearly died AND, at the same time, someone who didn't know she was a non-smoker sent her a carton of cigarettes as a "gift." (Don't get me started.) The stress was too much, so she started smoking and hasn't been able to stop. The fact that she smokes doesn't mean that is ignorant of the dangers. She can't stop.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Except that she's already demonstrated that she can...
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

For the same reason there's a societal stigma against telling people they're fat, or they're ugly, or they're badly dressed, or that they should eat differently, or that they should work out, or that their kitchen could use a makeover.

It's rude.