Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No. She demonstrated that she could, 15 years ago, when life was relatively calm and she didn't have a kid inexplicably at death's doorstep. (Her son is still suffering from the brain injury and the doctors still don't know why he got sick in the first place.) Right now, I accept that she can't quit. She's tried.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's rude not to stand on the sidelines while people slowly poison themselves (and in the case of smoking, also slowly poison people with whom they frequently interact).

Well, you're right, it's rude. Er, why?

3. pygmalion

Is this a serious question?

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Actually, yes. Caring and trying to help == rude; not caring and standing on the sideline == not-rude.

Well, maybe it's not a question for this thread. But, if I step back from day-to-day life and frame things like that, the world seems screwy to me.

5. pygmalion

I don't think that's a question for this thread. And you're right. Life can be screwy, sometimes. :cool:

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Because it's not nice. And it's not helpful.
    But if you equate "telling somebody something they already know so that you get a chance to show them how superior of a human being you are" as polite conversation, knock yourself out.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's probly more productive to give a context-relevant reason for the person to quit. for example: "i don't like dancing with you because your hands & breath smell like smoke. sorry." personally speaking, that disgusts me.

IMHO, it's far ruder to show up to a dance event reeking than to mention someone's smoking to them. as for their health choices... not my bizness. i care enough to allow them the freedom of their own choices, rather than impose mine on them.

8. pygmalion

This. It respects their choices and mine. :cool:

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Though I have never smoked, my parents did, and I can respect the addiction issue. However, please just keep it far the heck away from me. Entering a building with smokers huddled at the entrance, or walking down a sidewalk downwind of someone with a lit butt, or even driving behind or next to a car with a smoker in it AFFECTS ME. I can only hold my breath for so long. And don't get me started on the cigarette butts I see littered on the ground and tossed out of car windows. How is that OK?!? I don't want to get racist or political, but how is it that with cigarettes around $7 a pack now I think, that I see people in the poorest neighborhoods lighting up. And they all have fancy cell phones better than mine.:confused:

re: dancers, I admit it. I remember watching a very talented Pro couple perform a showcase, and then later saw them both outside smoking butts. I was disappointed.

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Which is it that disgusts you--giving the person that reason, or that person smelling like @$$?

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

doesn't disgust me to give the reason. it's the cloud of smoke like eau de ash tray, and the careless imposition of it, that offends.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would not take it to the dry cleaners...you can febreeze it...and if you are only doing two heats and it isn't your dress, I would stink it up and not do more than that...other than wash the pits and crotch when you are done...as someone who rents out her gowns, i would much prefer that my renters leave treatment of the dress to me

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

most gowns, as per vendor dressgirl, can be washed in a pillowcase...we have a thread on this...but I would only do that with permission from the owner...it is how I do all of mine

14. WomanOfaCertainAge

WomanOfaCertainAge New Member

My teacher smokes & I wish he would stop. He's healthy but I worry that it's really bad for him.. But he's told me it's really his only bad habit. Most of the time, I don't mind the smell, if its faint, I actually like it. But once he smoked right before we met & smelled terrible. Next time I'm going to let him know...

15. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Sorry, cognitive dissonance is sad but real here. And he will die from cancer despite the relatively few 'bad habits'... There is no way the score makes up for the foolishness. And we all pay for his health and societal ignorance...

16. Samuelh

Samuelh New Member

Thanks for information

17. Shane Parkins

Shane Parkins New Member

Smoking is a terrible habit nonetheless however I know some dancers who use what's called Electronic cigarettes which are similar to normal smoking but less harmful.

18. tonitas

tonitas New Member

It's unhealthy to smoke. Quit it before it ruins your career.

19. I never understood why? Its not good for you at all!!!!!

You gotta try and get her to stop slowly

Me too, I just try to keep their minds off of it.

They should develop a way to quit in one day. That would be great.....

20. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

As a smoker who hasn't lit up in 10 years: it's very easy to judge, not so easy to understand. There's no such thing as quitting once and for all. Just like any other addiction, it's a day by day thing, with plenty of falls off the wagon.

As with any addiction, in the mind of the addict, the benefits outweigh the problems. And when you hit a patch of stress, that nicotine, and the ritual of smoking, can be very calming.

If you get all up in a smoker's grill about smoking, they are just going to dig in and tell you to f- off. After all, if you stress them out that way, they're going to need that smoke even more. :p If you really want to have an influence, you have to first consider how much influence you really have with them. And if you really do have influence, find ways of gently persuading them to decide on their own to quit.

Debra likes this.