Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

My mom smokes a lot. I think part of it is that her lifestyle is insanely stressful, and part of it is the general culture in Russia--everybody smokes everywhere. I don't think it's self-destructive, though. She's a very healthy person in other aspects of her life. She tried to quit a few times, and man, was I glad that I didn't live with her at the time! Actually, being on another continent was a very good thing at the time... :roll: She always goes back to smoking, though.
    I tried encouraging her to quit, but she doesn't really take advice very well. Especially when she knows it's true. What're you gonna do....I'm just trying not to think of lung cancer and other scary stuff, since there's nothing I can do to get her to stop.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Squirrel -- stick to the nuts! Or stay inside!

Randomysh - I feel for you. My mother smoked when I was young, too. I developed the habit for a few years in my early 20's, but quit. What I find interesting is people who go back to it. I think the smell bugs me even more being a reformed smoker. I can't imagine going back to it.

It's an addictive habit, for sure. And there are plenty of them.

About smoking and dancing - it's definitely got to effect your lung capacity. I'm in very good physical shape now (thanks in large part to getting laid off and having plenty of time to work out!), but when I don't get much exercise time in, it's very hard for me to maintain my stamina and not get winded. I think if dancer/smokers were able to stop, they'd see a big difference in this area.

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

@mamboqueen: unlike cigarettes, nuts are fattening... so I guess I'll stick to the former... ;)

4. mamboqueen

*LOL* Squirrel! But nuts have lots of protein!!!

Funny you should say that, though, because whenever I order an ice-cream sundae and the person asks if I want nuts, I say "no thanks, they're fattening". I try to see if they are swift enough....

5. htnguyen32

htnguyen32 New Member

Most dancers don't smoke because smoking will decrease their stamina. so smoking would be bad if you are a dancer

6. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

A few nuts=good. A few cigarettes=bad.

Tons of nuts=bad. Tons of cigs=very bad.

You do the math. ;)

I always wondered that, too. At one studio where I taught I was the only one who didn't smoke. They didn't allow smoking in the studio, which I was thankful for, but the place still stank of it. And their general endurance was much lower than mine.

I like my pink lungs, but lost my parents to smoke, so I feel randomysh's pain as well. Like a friend with asthma once said, "Breathing is good."

7. Salcero

Salcero Member

I got a friend who smokes weed when b4 we go out dancing. He says it helps him to relax and I think it makes it easier for him to ask women to dance and talk to them.

Me, personally, I don't even like to drink if I'm doing some serious social dancing. I also don't like smoke of any kind.

8. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

Oh, yeah--drinking is another issue. I can't drink and dance, either. Dancing requires too much quick response, and when you drink you just don't have it (I mean heavily, not one glass of wine or something). I rememebr trying it once--ROFL!

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Actually, I know very few dancers who smoke.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

great...which means you get to hang around with them a lot more without their extra baggage (smell etc that hangs around smokers....)

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Yup, at any dance I might see maybe two people at the most the whole evening outside taking a smoke break.

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

for some reason .. best dancers the world have known happen to be smokers .. go figure

i smoke.. and if i may add.. smell great (always get complimented).. u just need to take care of yourself well.. which u should do either way ;)

13. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I don't actively go around complaining or antagonizing smokers, but I don't approach them. The smell aggravates my asthma, as do perfumes and other chemical odors. I don't like feeling like I can't take satisfying breaths - I have enough trouble as it is, so I even hold my breath when walking by someone who's smoking to get past the smoke without inhaling it. I don't make a face or do anything politically incorrect. In fact, I try and hide the fact that I'm holding my breath. The other night I was passing by a smoker in a hallway at my apartment complex. She said hi and I REALLY didn't want to inhale the smoke, so I just nodded. I didn't slow my pace though because I didn't think I could hold my breath very long.

If that seems extreme, imagine going a week and taking only a relative handful of satisfying breaths despite being on 4 asthma-related medications... That happens to me every once in awhile and I will do anything to avoid triggering it. You may debate whether or not smoke can trigger that, but it's so unpleasant, I'd rather not risk it. In my experience, it does.

[tangent]
    Incidentally, I was googling around just the other day to investigate breathing problems because I've had more trouble breathing lately than usual and it's so frustrating. (I suspect a neighbor's smoke is somehow getting into my apartment because I can smell it sometimes when I come in my door. It's so frustrating.) I question whether or not my problems are actually due to asthma. Perhaps it's something not yet medically defined. I found an interesting potential cause: a medication called accutane that's commonly prescribed by dermatologists. One of the long-lasting side effects people have been complaining about is breathing trouble. I found a web forum where there's rumblings that a class action lawsuit is forming.
    [/tangent]

When I can't breathe well, I can't keep up the pace when I'm dancing and I hate that. Luckily there's only two dancers I know who smoke. One smokes rarely and the other doesn't come very much.

-hepcat

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I do that too. An old, ingrained habit. Second hand smoke is deadly, even if you don't have asthma.

Ya know what I hate? Sitting at the stoplight, in my car, behind someone who's smoking with their car window open. Guess what happens, if I'm stuck at the light long enough? I start smelling their smoke. It comes in through the cooling system intake. Blech.

15. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

When someone is inconsiderate of their smoking around me, I withdraw my rather horrible-smelling Matchabelli Windsong mini aerosol (kept just FOR This purpose, as I have no idea how ANYBODY can actually WEAR this pressurized urine) can and spritz it once in the air. When they complain of the odor (it's never to your face, of course- just the loud, offhand comments), I just smile.

I don't mind other people smoking - to each his/her own... unless it overlaps and infringes upon mine. Then they can take it back and keep it to themselves, be it cigarette smoke, cologne, other odors, or other inconveniences.

16. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

True.
    I find it quite something when smokers complain that other smokers are puffing smoke on their face. I also dislike veru strong smelling perfumes and air freshners.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hell, if I'm driving behind someone who's smoking in their car I can smell the smoke.

When I'm walking around and people are smoking, I start coughing, just to make a point. :D

18. mamboqueen

I love a subtle guy ;)

My biggest pet peeve (well, apart from having to stand within 50 yards of a cigarette) are the dipsh*ts who insist that they not get their car ashtray dirty and flick their cigarette out the window for those behind to dodge. It always makes me wish I had a can of soda or some other food in my car and I could reciprocate and see how they like it.

19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I like this idea! I like your attitude, too. We should hang out!!! :)

20. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Joe, I hear ya! I do the same thing.

I can't stand smoking/smokers. It totally pisses me off when I try to enter or exit my office building and I have to hold my breath when I pass all the fools shivering outside the building holding their cigarettes.

I'm a pretty hostile anti-smoker, I lost both of my parents to smoking related causes: my dad to complications from having mouth cancer and my mother to Leukemia. My dad was only 57 years old and my mother only 58. Completely avoidable on their part.