Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I haven't noticed this issue specifically with smoking, but there are some old cars out there that seem to burn oil and belch out foul smelling odors. I absolutely hate that. They should get pulled over and their cars impounded or something. Two things you can do to mitigate the problem is: set your AC to recirculate the air in your car instead of bring in air from the outside. This setting is usually called "max" or has a curve arrow because it's cooling previously cooled air (cycling it in from the vents nearest the floor and out the vents on the dash) and thus cools much faster. The other thing I do is change lanes and ride the line furthest from the stinker, although that doesn't help at a stoplight.

-hepcat

2. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

LOL, Yep!

... in Non-smoking, :lol:

3. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

yes, you, Joe and me all in the non-smoking section of a restaurant!!!

4. saludas

saludas New Member

Thank goodness most states have no smoking laws in restaurants.. at least in the NYC area..

5. hepcat

hepcat New Member

NM has a law that says you can't smoke within 30 feet of any doors or windows of a public building, which is nice. I wish there was a law here for bars (like in California) because they're the only places bands play here. Some have some small but decent dance floors too. Thus I never get to go out dancing to live bands except for when they're at two different restaurants.

Smoke free bars? Probably'll never happen here unfortunately. Do any other states have that besides California?

-hepcat

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll try changing my AC setting. :)_

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

No smoking in bars in Massachusetts! Yay! It's only a few years old, and the bars blew a gasket, but you know what? They're still getting plenty of business.

8. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I'll leave the Windsong at home! That stuff is awful. (Ok, I carry it so that if our studio is out of Degree aerosol in the bathroom, I have something to spritz my shoes with, otherwise they're deadly!) ROFL

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we have tabu for that...which I think is WORSE than the foot odor

10. fascination

omg...THAT would be one helluva dangerous sight to see;) (fun tho')

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmm...

12. fascination

ya know you just really make me wonder when you do that

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I can count on one hand the number of cigarettes I've smoked in my life. When I was about six years old, one day I got into my dad's chest of drawers and found a cigar and a lighter. I lit it, took one huge drag, and...

I think I was sick for the rest of the day. I probably coughed for an hour, and I couldn't keep dinner down that evening. My did didn't punish me much; I guess he figured I'd already learned my lesson. :rolleyes: And he was right. I never had any desire to smoke after that.

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Our city passed an interesting ordinance last fall. Each restraunt and bar in the city had to declare itself either all-smoking or all-nonsmoking. The catch is, an establishment that declares itself all-smoking cannot admit anyone under 18. The basic result is that all the bars went smoking and every other establishment that serves food went nonsmoking.

15. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Sounds like popular sovreignty, Lol.

16. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

Same thing just passed here in Denver. As you said, bar owners went nuts. They keep saying it will kill their business. But the bars that did it voluntarily a few years ago have actually had an increase in business--they got people out who wouldn't normally go to a bar because of the smoke.

17. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I wonder what the affect is now that it's universal? Are the ones that did it voluntarily still doing well now that non-smokers have more choices?

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, and if you want to go into demographics, my guess is that a majority of people who smoke are of lower income and don't have as much to spend on drinks as non-smokers....and of course, at what $5.00 a pack (???), the smokers are spending that much less on booze because of all the money they're dropping on butts.

19. fascination

(squelches urge to ponder how much money you and I would drop on...butts...lol)

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Purely out of curiosity...

If we assume that having all smokers flat-out quit is not an option...is there any-bloody-thing that us smokers could do to actually get the griping to stop?

I mean, at some point people have got to accept annoyances around them. (I am NOT talking about people with severe asthma or allergies, here.) So you walk by someone on the sidewalk and they're smoking. I get that the smell may be unpleasant, but for the love of god that cannot be a justification for being rude. Just keep walking and let it go. Sheesh.

I absolutely hate the smell of any kind of seafood, but i don't start gagging when I smell it at a restaurant or wherever.

And yes, I know smoking is dangerous to my health, and second-hand is dangerous to others. But what wafts by you on the sidewalk is NOT going to give you cancer. (See my above disclaimer regarding asthma.)

At this point, a lot of places have made every reasonable effort to protect non-smokers, and yet there is STILL carping about it. What in bloody h*ll else do you people want from us?!?!

(I'm not actually pissed, just very frustrated by this thread. I honestly mean no offense, and hope that the tone of the post isn't taken that way.)

TechnicolorWaltz likes this.