Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. hepcat

hepcat New Member

That's actually somewhat ironic: Just as making all smokers quit is not an option, the same goes for griping about smoking. Both are unatainable extremes. ;)

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Fair point.

However, from what I've seen on this thread, no reasonable amount of accomodation and consideration is ever enough. Instead, for whatever reason, smoking in any way/shape/form seems to have become a licensce for rude behavior that would not be tolerated under any other circumstance. In fact, new and more extreme ways of being rude seem to be applauded.

Smoke isn't the only smell that clings to people--curry and garlic (even if not eaten the same day with some people) come to mind. Would anyone be expected to tolerate being sprayed down with hideous "perfume" if that was the lingering smell? Of course not. (For that matter, hideous perfume lingers as well.)

From the posts on this thread, reasonable accomodation is quite evidently not enough. So why should I or anyone else even bother trying? Simple answer: we shouldn't. Being unhappy about it is one thing--being outright rude is quite another.

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'm actually not rude to smokers. I wish they'd quit for their own sake. I've seen someone die a long, painful death from smoking. It's heartbreaking to see. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My father has emphysema now. All preventable.

I've only pointed out what I find rude....people who smoke and turn their head and discharge the smoke at me because they don't want to "sit" in it, and people who chuck their butts out the car window because they don't want to mess up their car (as if the smell alone doesn't do that).

4. Peaches

MQ, I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote. I had other posts/posters in mind, as well as the what seems to be the prevailing attitude of non-smokers.

And, yeah, I've watched someone die a painful death from smoking. I know what I'm doing to myself. And I know it's preventable. But for whatever reason, I'm not ready to quit yet. I'm not physically addicted yet, luckily, but still not ready.

5. mamboqueen

Well, Peaches...I hope some day you're able to quit. I truly mean that.

6. Peaches

That makes 2 of us.

I've quit 2 or 3 times before, and lasted for a few months each time. They say it takes smokers an average of 7 times to try quitting before it "sticks"...

I think I feel another quit coming on in the next few months anyway--it's been a year.

7. mamboqueen

I smoked for about 2 years in my early 20's. One day I was driving and I dropped the cigarette and while almost driving into a tree, my rug started smouldering because it took me a few minutes to find the damned thing. That was it for me. Tree + fire = time to quit.

8. Peaches

Now that's got to be one of the more interesting reasons for quitting that i've ever heard.

9. mamboqueen

I think I was ready....and got the signal. Hopefully you'll get yours, too ;)

10. Peaches

One of these days, (Alice), one of these days.

11. mamboqueen

bang, zoom....to the moon!

(think about how many people that is *lost* on!)

12. Peaches

The funny thing is, I actually don't know what it's from. I just grew up with my father saying it. I knew he was quoting something, but to this day I don't have a clue what it was.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

LOL, I guess it was lost on Peaches, too. :)

It's "The Honeymooners."

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I know how much you love your husband....I dont know if you have kids....but consider (very, very hard) the likelihood not just of the time you are taking off of your own life but the possibly decades that you may be deprieving them of having you and all of the significant events that you may not be there for...sometimes unselfish people like you who just can't quit for themselves actually can quit for people like their future children and grandchildren...just a thought... I wish you luck...as someone who has lost a parent far too young to lung cancer last month, I grieve every day what my mother is missing...you are such a sweet sensitive person Peaches, I really wish you good luck on this...it is an addiction... a STRONG one, and there is a point beyond which some folks just can't quit...and a point beyond which they aren't given a chance...and that point can come with little to no warning...at any age...and then it doesn't matter whether you are ready or not....hugs

15. mamboqueen

cr*p...I'm like Grandmamboqueen...ack!

16. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I second Fascination's sentiment and I'll elaborate on my point of view.

Yeah, I'm the first person to admit I'm hostile about smokers. I think it's absolutely one of the worst things you could do to yourself -- your family members, co-workers, friends, pets, etc. It's hard to believe how many people still smoke when the information about its dangers is everywhere.

My parents *were* (I say were because they're both dead) of a generation where smoking was considered a very normal thing to do. They didn't know any better at first and then they both tried to quit. My mother quit 3 years before she developed Myelo-Dysplastic Leukemia. This form of Leukemia used to be known as the smokers leukemia since it occurs as a result of exposure to benzene--found in cigarettes. The more particular details of her decline and death are still too upseting to me to repeat here.

I will not expose myself to ANY cigarette smoke EVER if I can possibly avoid it. I think that any exposure is harmful. Why should I casually pass by a group of people who are smoking when I don't want to breathe that crap into my lungs. Now, I'm not saying I walk by and give them grief, but I will hold my breath or cover my mouth if I can't hold my breath for tht long of a time.

Should I have to suffer or be uncomfortable because someone *has* to smoke? Should I have to breathe in second hand smoke? No, I shouldn't.

Smelling of cigarette smoke or smelling of curry are such very different things that they can't even be compared. Last time I checked no one ever died from long term eating of curry. You're pretty off base with that analogy, it doesn't compute at all.

As far as reasonable accomodations are concerned, how far should the world go to allow people to slowly kill themselves and, probably, those around them? Don't I have a right to reasonable accommodation? Why should someone else's bad habit infringe upon my health?

I take good care of my body, I don't eat junk food, exercise and eat as healthily as I can. Why should I let some smoker screw that up?

Sorry for the rant, but seriously the argument is so out of line.

One more thing: A beloved dance teacher from my college days is dying from emphyzema. She never smoked a day in her life but her husband did, and still does.

17. fascination

I feel your pain michelle...I also feel yours peaches...

18. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Smoking, and not realizing the repercussions it has on others is plain selfish and thoughtless.

Anyone who smokes around children should have their asses kicked. It's one thing to smoke around adults, but having children- that's like a "captive audience". Do you know that smoking even affects inner ear development in children? I always wondered why nearly everyone in my second grade class had to have tubes put in (not me, thanks... I had asthma from my mother in-utero smoking... everything...).

I don't like it. I don't begrudge people their right to eat, chew, drink, or inhale bad stuff.... just don't assume I enjoy it, too.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I dunno. There's a certain background risk from doing just about anything these days, including walking down the street. I don't know that the occasional whiff of tobacco smoke significantly increases this risk. However, it's still annoying because I have a sensitive schnoz.

20. fascination

I just want to clarify that while I can firsthand discuss the downside of smoking and its adverse effects upon others, and I don't appreciate selfish inconsiderate smokers any more than I appreciate selfish inconsiderate non-smokers...I can't fault people who struggle with addiction...as I would be hard pressed to make it through a day without my coffee or my wine....and I have many times stepped into the tanning bed knowing the risk I am taking and the repurcussions on my family, just as my husband does each time he pops another fannie mae buttercream or salami bite, given his family hx and his current health issues....admittedly these things are not the equivalent of second hand smoke, I am only saying that I can appreciate that we all comfort ourselves in different toxic ways...and only meant previously not to indict smokers but to mention that it is an addiction and to mention that sometimes we don't get a second chance to modify our lifestyles, smoking or otherwise...

having said that, exposure to cigarette smoke has had a markedly negative effect upon my health which I won't go into but it does make me ill even to this day when I allow myself too much exposure, and I cannot for the life of me imagine taking it up now that I dance, much as I used to have no problem with either the exposure or with smoking myself...now just the smell of it makes me nauseous and I have an allergic reaction to it as well...funny, the only time it DOESNT bother me is in a bar, b/c I expect it there and b/c I am usually a bit looped if I'm in a bar anyway....but I will be hoarse in the morning and sorry I went