Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hmmm…I seem to remember something from one of my college classes listing broccoli as a carcinogen. Perhaps I am wrong—can’t find reference on the ‘net. Regular coffee though (caffeine) is definitely carcinogenic. So, scratch the broccoli, keep the coffee. My mistake, all apologies.

As for hugs, I grew up with lots of them. Kisses too—I grew up greeting family, no matter how extended, with a hug and 1 if not 2 kisses.

For that reason, I think, I had absolutely no problem in Argentina when I was greeted that way, although some people clearly expected me to be taken aback. My SIL was very uncomfortable, by comparison. I swear, I’ve never been hugged and kissed by so many men in so short a period of time as when I was sitting down at a milonga in BsAs, and friends were coming by to chat with my host! It translates, too, to the Latino gentlemen in my AT scene.

Not so sure about cyber-hugs though, don’t know why.
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I became more comfortable about hugs after I've been dancing for a while. I was not much of a hugger before that.
  4. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I got the point. You've been very articulate. I just think the analogy detracts from it. You don't have to compromise your health with coffee or other ingested carcinogens. You can easily choose not to be exposed to that sort of carcinogen. You can compromise your desire to eat such things, but that's different from compromising your health. You have a choice and that's the key reason why I'm harping on this issue. You sometimes don't have that choice when it comes to breathing. You can choose not to drink when coffee is presented to you, but you can't choose not to inhale when smoke is present. With ingestibles, there's no reasonable point at which an acceptance of risk takes over. There's always alternatives.

Sure you can select where you live, but you can't prevent a smoker from moving in next to you the next day. (Honestly, I think there should be zoning laws for such things, especially with apartments, which desingate non-smoking residential areas.)

Perhaps a better analogy exists which better exhibits your point. I just don't think risk from food versus risk from smoke are comparable when talking about choice and health.
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

My sister is trying to quit. She is hard to put up with, and I told everyone about how emotional she is just to warn them in advance before they called her. I don't know if she has actually quit or not, but my goodness it is like don't talk to me until you finally are off the stuff lol.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...:rolleyes:
  7. fascination

I was raised in an anti hugging domain...and dh brought me around....now I will hug anyone and everyone provided they have showered at least once that week...I need 'em
  8. ssjss

ssjss New Member

My grandfather was nicked named papa bear cuz of all the hugs we would give. I lovem, wish people would do it more.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I was raised in the South. I have no problem with hugs. ;)
  10. fascination

hugs are more prevalent(sp?) in the south?...packing bags quickly
  11. mamboqueen

I have to say, of all the places I've traveled in the US, southerners have been, by FAR, the most warmest and polite people I've met. Being the cynical Joisey girl, I was really taken aback and wondering what these people wanted from me.
  12. fascination

I love the South...and not just b/c of Cornutt...lol...I have always found the treatment there to be extremely friendly...and since I am from the midwest rather than the east, well, I guess I'm just not that cynical yet....gotta say our first trip out east was, er, an eye-opener regarding ...hmmm how do I say it, congeniality?
  13. mamboqueen

:raisebro: and then there's the food....
  14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hey I'm from the south! Grrr!!! :mad:

I know what you mean! When my mom moved to Philly, it was such an eye opener. I saw my first drug deal taking place lol (and we weren't even supposed to be in that part of town to begin with, but someone got us lost lol), it was the first time that I had seen prostitutes (I know that we have them here of course, but these girls were right up next to your car, the girls here you don't see out in the streets they are more hidden in other words, but this is the Bible Belt lol) the people aren't the nicest people in the world (especially the gangs and you know who they are), and they don't care about their streets at all. It was so dirty! I was like how do people live like this? Then I realized that when I got home I was so thankful to be home and I was proud of my city for the way it was. It takes work to have a clean city. Not that everything is a ok all of the time, but still... it's nice to know that people take pride in this town.
  15. fascination

well now...I don't want to get all regionalist...is that a word?...the east and big cities elsewhere have their major upsides too......in fact I would prefer to live there than out here in BFE anyday....
  16. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I don't think my family was especially hug oriented or phobic, it was just a natural thing to do to show support or affection, or greet a friend when it had been a while since seeing each other. Personally, I love hugs and wish more of my friends were "hugs as greetings" people, but that's not the case, so I must make do with what I got :)
  17. fascination

so hug the huggers twice as much and ask the non-huggers if they mind getting them...sometimes after enough if them, one becomes a convert ...even a pro...
  18. fascination

back to this smoking thing...yeah I think there are some cultural/environmental aspects of it...we have a very health conscious gentleman from Russia at our studio ...he is a vegan...goes on fasts, goes to the gym regularly ...has all sorts of discipline... but will tell you if you ask that he came up in an environment where everyone smoked and now just can't quit...
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's interesting, because my mom smoked around my oldest sister (and not the rest of us), and my oldest sister has no problem being by the smell of smoke. However, I can't stand it. My eyes get watery and you name it. I'm glad that I never smoked though. I'm sure it's pretty addictive once you start, or at least that's what my sister would say. ;)
  20. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I know a former ballet dancer from Russia (now teaches ballroom.) He says all of his fellow dance students, and their teachers, smoked, and from a young age. He quit a couple of years ago, shortly after coming to this country. (And actually started again while preparing for a ballet performance.)