Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. t.jockey

t.jockey New Member

yeah i think alot of ppl don't realize how many athletes actually smoke...its a baffling situation.
  2. jambodale

jambodale New Member

3. saludas

saludas New Member

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for bumping this thread, anagha... it contains some very interesting dialogue!

i'm not aware of many dancers in my circle that smoke...
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I know of several pros (including one former world ten dance champ) who smoke, but I don't think the percentage is any higher than regular population, and might be lower. I was a smoker myself, picking it up again in part due to hanging out with some of said pros, but quit a few months back. Ironically, quit, in large part, due to influence of my teacher. :)
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i know my pro's coach smokes occasionally... can see it on his face, and have seen him lurking outside the studio.

everytime i see him with the slight gray pallor underneath the surface, i think to myself, "why...?! you're ruining your natural beauty... your beautiful life force is already visibly contaminated..."
    course, that's my response whenever i see someone smoking. it just drains all the beauty & vitality out of their appearance, not to mention their functionality. and what it does to the human voice... so not pretty.
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, pro found out I smoked by catching me walking down street with cigarette while I was wearing studio jacket. She wasn't pleased. :) All the same reasons you said, plus fact I was wearing the FA jacket while I was doing it. :)
  8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't smoke...know a few who do...but I domn't dance with them because of inhaling that smokers breath from being in close proximity.
  9. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Do they????
    Not in Sweden ...not many at all....I can recall just one person. Of course there are a lot of smokers outside the clubs - but they do not dance salsa. They are salsa/latino wannabees not salsadancers.

And salsadancers hardly drink. A very healthy community.

/Luc
  10. bailamos

bailamos New Member

Yes, a lot of dancers smoke. It baffles the heck out of me that anyone (especially athletes) would be smoking. Since it hampers your performance and your appearance, I should be quite happy that I could have an edge on the competition floor. However, I have a more serious issue with smokers.
    While it is your choice to smoke, it is a direct invasion of people's right to breathe smokeless air. There are some who are allergic to smoke and suffer from second hand smoke inhalation.
    My mother was not a smoker, yet she suffers with her breathing due to emphysema. Her lungs are scarred, not as spongy as normal lungs and her breathing is much labored. Any one that places the stethoscope to her back always asks the same question “when did you stop smoking?” They are always shocked to hear that she never smoked.
    She was subjected to a smoker’s habit for years in the work place. This smoker had no regard to my mother’s constant coughing and request to take her smoking elsewhere. This was at a time when smoking was banned building offices. The owner of the company did nothing to support my mom (he was a smoker himself and accustomed to smoke at the office).
    This, no doubt, will shorten my mother’s life measurably. She now must use 2 inhalers and take medications with a nebulizer 4 times daily to help her breathe. This was not her choice, yet her quality of life is now compromised because of second hand smoke inhalation. She is also vulnerable to pneumonia.
    Because of this, I have absolutely no sympathy for smokers. You can stop if you really want, but I have observed that most do not really want to. I am not saying it is easy, (neither is losing weight, or to stop drinking alcohol), but it can be done.
    I have no problem confronting anyone who blow smoke in my “space” to go elsewhere. I don’t care if I come off as rude. I think it is rude that smokers do not consider anyone else but themselves. I can remember waiting 1 hour at a restaurant for a smoker-free table (back in the day when restaurants had a smoking area). After being seated, someone lights up a cigarette at the table next to us. When we protested that this was a non-smoking area, the smoker got indignant and “rolled the eyes” at us. I couldn’t believe the audacity and imprudence! I mean, could you get any ruder than that?
    While you are certainly entitled to smoke and cause harm to yourself, your smoking causes harm to others. This especially irritates me when infants and children are subjected to smokers daily. For me, an asthma attack can be triggered if I inhale smoke. If you have never experienced an attack, consider yourself blessed. I have to dodge smokers on the street and hold my breath to protect myself. Not to even mention the countless articles of good clothing ruined by careless smoker’s cigarette burns.
    If you want to self-destruct, do it on your own watch, not anyone else’s.
  11. newbie

newbie Active Member

If they eat they'll gain weight. So, they smoke.
  12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Oddly --2 of the most powerful addictive substances in the world, are both legal-- Nicotine and Sugar .( could throw in alcohol, but dont want to get lynched !! ) :rolleyes:
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

is it nicotine that's so addictive, or the zillions of mystery additives they put in the cigarettes? i've read that natural unadulterated tobacco is a different entity altogether, and not nearly as harmful as processed cigs...

for awhile, my son was having a cigarette now & then socially, and i told him that if that's what he was choosing to do, he should find & order the pure product online & roll his own rather than use the processed (contaminated) brands.
  14. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Coffee, sugar, nicotine - all generally addictive and easily available :) In some places, I'd add marijuana/hashish/pot to the mix (in terms of legal use).

There are extreme examples of destruction and havoc caused by all of these, but can't tell for sure that there is anything fundamentally disturbing about any of these. The social imperative for preventing drug use doesn't seem to apply to any of these..
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i really do think that it's the poorer quality/maximally processed versions of these substances that are far more addictive. add salt to the list.

consume better quality (read: more mineralized) versions of any of these things, and they can even have therapeutic benefits...
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What about chapstick? :p
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:cool:I've always felt that way about wine
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

and i so agree
  19. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I really should have added-- the " abuse " of pretty much anything. However-- is not tar, a derivative of tobacco ?
  20. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

tar is any black viscous liquid that's produced by destructive distillation of organic matter than can burn.

heating in the absence of oxygen = pyrolysis.

pyrolysis in a distillation apparatus that allows the collection of volatile substances released during this process = destructive distillation.

when you smoke a cigarette, destructive distillation happens, in a manner of speaking. the rolled tobacco can burn in an atmosphere of reduced oxygen (inside the cigarette, there isn't much ventillation). this causes pyrolysis. your mouth/respiratory system/lungs act as the distillation apparatus where the volatile material ingested during 'smoking' is collected and distilled into the 'collection chamber' namely your lungs.

this tar, which is not the same as the asphalt tar used to make road surfaces, collects/deposits in lungs and sits there. it eventually triggers various biochemical processes leading to lung impairment, cancer etc.