Why do women bother to learn to dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by KevinL, Apr 29, 2004.

1. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

or both. it WAS late, and things that seem cute at 3am come across differently in the full light of day. but some comments were definitely intended to be taken tongue-in-cheek & not seriously....

doh! ok. i was not making any sort of stereotypic claim about men who pursue ballroom dance. and i'll go delete my reply to dancepoet.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:kissme: Love, hugs and kisses to you. No need to delete anything. We'll all still love you. At least, I will. :wink: :D 8)

3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

you're too kind. and i DO need to maintain my post count if i want to move up the ranks...

shouldn't you be out dancing on a friday night?

barry

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to head out soon, if the torrential downpours ever stop. It's been pouring, lightnening and thundering for the past three hours. Water's running in the streets. The last time I went out dancing in this (expletive deleted) I got so wet that I ended up having absolutely no fun. Soaked to the skin is no way to start the evening. :?

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Oh, I don't know about THAT! It depends on the setting/location :lol: When I was younger, I loved walking in the rain (the air/temperature was warmer though :lol:) and when it rained, it poured. That is so much fun :!: Nothing like the "normal" rain in the London which can go on for like 4-5 days (and I am not exaggerating :shock: ), just dripping as opposed to pouring :( Ah yes, the joys of being soaked to the bone (note, I did not say to the skin :wink:) in a warm climate :D

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

no, thats NYU ballroom dance team. ;-)

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

we've had 100 degree weather most of the week here.

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Oh darn, it looks like I missed out on the fun. :lol:
    I seems everybody made up ... hugs, kisses, etc.

Reading the thread topic, the first thing that came to mind were those ladies who say, "If the guy can lead, I can dance anything". There have been several times where I have encountered such a lady, and when I took her out to dance, she was constantly ahead of me and stiff (and also another was too loose and couldn't read my lead).

9. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

DanceMentor:

Seems I missed out on whatever the reply was, too! But I was out dancing, and I had tons of fun! And I promise ... I wasn't too serious. ;)

10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Boy, DID I miss out on participating on this thread :shock: ! Due to time zone & salsa, I simply couldn't be here when things were happening :roll: !

*Mental Note to Self: Move to San Francisco :wink: *

....hey, ALL you salseros living in lead-heavy cities, we NEED you here in Melbourne! It's one of the most livable cities in the world, with a great dance scene (salsa, ballroom & swing too)!

* :lol: that was my hijack of the day :lol: *

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

*Mental Note to Self: Move to San Francisco :wink: *

....hey, ALL you salseros living in lead-heavy cities, we NEED you here in Melbourne! It's one of the most livable cities in the world, with a great dance scene (salsa, ballroom & swing too)!

Salsachinita-
    If you add that you also have some of the BEST WINE IN THE WORLD, you just might get some takers!!!! :D

12. jon

jon Member

Gene Kelly might disagree :)

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

nah. he was on his way home.

14. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Bring an extra set of clothes and change when you get to the dancehall. As long as you're not expected to dance in the rain, but if you are... oh well.

If we wanted to start up a thread of music dealing with rain that one can dance to. "Singin' in the Rain" would be a nice foxtrot. "Rock me like a hurricane"... I'd have to think about that. ;)

15. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh, man, etchuck--I wouldn't dare dance to "Singin in the Rain." The only viable reinterpretation of that song has been by Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange. Could you imagine trying to compete to that tune, and have everyone in the ballroom thinking about Gene Kelly? :oops:

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

But it is a very lovely foxtrot!! :(

17. jon

jon Member

Trickle Trickle by Manhattan Transfer. A bit fast but a decent ECS.

Thematic DJ sets can be fun. A friend put together the "Lindy Food" tape (Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens, A Chicken Ain't Nothin' But A Bird, Everybody Eats When They Come To My House, etc.)

18. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Compete to "Singin' in the Rain"... well, probably not. But I'm sure we could do worse and have someone cover that tune for competitive purposes. In fact, I'm sure someone must have.

Then again, I would dare to play all the tracks on the Tanz Orchestra Klaus Hallen CD "Musicals"... gosh those covers are truly odd.

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

dionne warwick's "the windows of the world" slow latin

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:? hmmmmm......another completely & utterly hijacked thread...........