Why do you compete?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SwayWithMe, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The problem for me is that I know my defintion of "good" changes over time. In general, the trend is in the right direction, but I know that if I go back and look at the "good" photos from a few years ago ... let's just say that I find them rather less acceptable now. I assume the same will be true of my current good photos in a few more years.
    SwayWithMe, 5678dance and Lioness like this.
  2. JudeMorrigan

Awesome! There are definitely times I suspect I'd be happier had I gone that route myself. An amused note: I happened to mention my Latin background to one of the other guys at my studio once. He thought I was making a really lame joke. So I started to recite the Aeneid. His reaction turned to one of horror. It was pretty epic. So to speak. :D
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Jude, can we be best friends? Please?
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  4. JudeMorrigan

Sure. But I'm casting myself as the robot, even though it means you're the one who gets to go to space.

(Ok, that way may have been a *little* too obscure.)
  5. Sania

Sania Active Member

I have a masters' in ancient Roman art - specializing in Hadrian. We ancient art historians hang out with classicists all the time :)
    dlliba10 likes this.
  6. dlliba10

........ Yeah, I'll admit I still don't get it. >_<
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, if it involves going to space, I'm all in...

One reason I compete, that I haven't seen anyone else mention, is that for me a comp is a vacation. Even if it's only a one-day local comp, that's one day when I can let myself be swept up by the flow of the event. Work, family issues, worries about the future, all of that is completely off of my mind at a comp. The pressure of competitive dancing is quite pleasant compared to the pressure that if you get a requirement or a line of code wrong, someone is going to die.
    dancelvr, 5678dance and chomsky like this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

Alas, I fear I was showing my age. There's a remarkably cheesy 80s movie (yes, that's repetitively redundant) called SpaceCamp that involves an astonishingly young Joaquin Phoenix who befriends a robot at, well, Space Camp. The dialog was hilarious. Had you grown up in the 80s, the whole "Max and Jinx ... friends forever" thing would have been burned into your brain. ;-)
    slhull.13, chomsky and dlliba10 like this.
  9. dlliba10

Alas, 90's kid. I was raised on Power Rangers and Barney ...
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

SpaceCamp! I thought that sounded familiar. :D
  11. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

so nice to see that "great spirits gallop together"...same here, though my competition is outside of a competition floor, lol!
    cornutt likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot about this as I ponder my motivation, think about what really matters to me, and try to set goals.

I compete because:
    1) It's hard. And scary. And pushes me way out of my comfort zone. And sometimes makes me feel like I want to throw up, or run away and hide. But I love the challenge, and I really like seeing just how much more I am able to handle than I thought.
    2) I love the level of technical precision required. No cheating steps, doing things that make the dance work but aren't right. No being just a little off. Do it perfectly, or the judges will notice and nail you for it.
    3) It lets me set concrete, measurable goals and forces me to become more strucured with my development, lessons and practice.
    4) Related to #3, it gives me an opportunity to throw the "hard stuff", often in combination or all in a row... those figures (syllabus or invented) that are incredibly difficult but feel amazing when they work. (Yes, I could still do them in lessons, but without the competition goals, I doubt that would be happening... because then, the only place that I could dance them would be in a lesson, and what would be the point?)
    5) I love dressing up.

This list is in order of most important to least. When I sat down to make it a few days ago, this is so not the order I thought the reasons would be in... I'm a little surprised, really. Probably should think about sharing this list with pro, as I doubt it will match what he thinks the reasons are... mostly 'cause it's not even what I thought the hirearchy of reasons was!
  13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

It's like you articulated my reasons so perfectly!!! May have to steal this list close to verbatim is my teacher ever asks
    FancyFeet likes this.
  14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yup, FF summed it up pretty well. Pondering this anew, I think my main motivation is the necessity of really digging in and learning something and then getting tested on it. I could learn things strictly for social dancing, but IME that's a totally different animal.

One can always dress up and do fancy-schmancy for a showcase (which would meet the dig in and learn it criterion), but in all seriousness, what percentage of a showcase audience really knows (or cares) what you're doing? YMMV.
  15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

The getting tested part is important to me. As a physician I'm a perennial student anyway
    chomsky likes this.
  16. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Member

FF--you definitely nailed it--those are similar to my reasons too. I have always approached dance as a sport, so competition is implied, but it is also something that gives me a constant challenge and keeps leading me to new goals, keeps me motivated. It is also one of the best measurements of progress. It is one thing to do things in lessons, or showcases, or even social dances--but it is another to do with under pressure knowing you want to do it as best as possible--so you might be rewarded for it :)
  17. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

This... (bold and underscore added by me)

So much of #4 but am getting very jaded about results... there are so many factors and very little of that is my own dancing and whether or not I am any better this competition than last. I too am doing a cost benefit... the problem is I love to dance and compete, but the judging is so inconsistent and I don't have the funds and vacation time to compete that often.

Politics/loyalty to certain studios/bad feelings toward others/famous teachers... ugh.. These all affect results and have nothing to do with skill.

Not just in my heats/scholarships but in many, I can't figure out why they choose some of the couples to place ... I am very good a placements in the pro rounds, but in pro/am... I never agree.

Who knows what the future may bring
    Loki, debmc and fascination like this.
  18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I find that I'm on a little wheel right now...I'm working more in order to afford more, but then I have less time for workouts and practice. If I work less, then I can't afford comps but I can allocate more time to actually working on dancing. I'm not sure how to get off this wheel!
  19. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Winning lottery ticket? ;)

I know that wheel... start a side business to pay for dancing... spend too much time on the business and have no time to practice... :meh:
    debmc likes this.
  20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Unless the side biz is dancing?