Why don't guys dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancin_feet, Mar 10, 2004.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

ok, you definitely have cute kids, plural. :)

I never really picked up the sewing thin gfrommom. i limit myself to hemming pants. ANd making sure to have black safety pins around for our (mine and the male pros from studio) numbers at competitions. :p
  2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Thanks! The middle kid isn't so bad either, lol.
    [​IMG]
  3. Nybz

Nybz New Member

More bars in more places? :uplaugh:
    You should send that picture to At&t(cingular?)
    Very cute picture.
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Why is it even more frustrating for a beginning guy to dance with an advanced follow, who supposedly knows what she's doing? I can see how it can be frustrating for the follow, but what's the guy's problem in this situation?
  5. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I remember when I was first starting I was dancing with a very advanced follow, and unfortunately she followed (unfortunately my leads at that point didn't match what I thought I was leading). I think I was giving her an impetus to go and then not going anywhere and cutting her off really badly in turns. That was the hardest time I ever had dancing right and left turns in waltz. A begining follow wouldn't have picked up on most the bad information I was transmitting would just be trying to guess change step or turn, and then doing the step like I wasn't there.
  6. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Yup. That's code for "everybody line up and hold hands". I'd need two more to have the AT&T bars, lol. And uh... NOT GOING THERE!!! 8) Stick a fork in me because these three... Give me a run for my money, lol. Although... if subsequent ones were like the last one... I might end up with a dozen, lol.
  7. psittac

psittac New Member

That sounds like a personal ad... ;-)

Seriously, I was quite intrigued that this thread got going again. It's certainly something I've been mulling for quite a while. Having observed our University dance club, as well as various dance socials and studios around town, I would agree that cultural barriers to dance are probably still the dominant factor contributing toward the relative paucity of males starting dance. Most of the athletic guys in high school, who would probably make for better dancers, get laughed at by their fellow athletic peers if they participate in dancing (the new TV comedy series "Glee" seems to be addressing this very well!). Interestingly, our male University dance club population is quite over-represented by nerdy guys (including myself). However, the presence of male role models on Dancing with Stars has gone a long way toward making this more acceptable an activity even for athletes. As a result, I've started seeing hockey jocks showing up to beginner dance classes with their girlfriends, for example--and even enjoying themselves dancing!

I read with some interest the article by Lloyd Nicholas that was cited by somebody a while back in this thread (which, incidentally, has moved to http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/evolve/menwont.html). While I agree with some of his points, I think my experience within my various ballroom circles (including both competitive and social dancers) does not really jive with his evolutionary analysis of male behaviour. First of all, there is actually a fair degree of camaraderie among the male dancers, rather than the kind of cut-throat competition one might expect for an activity that is supposedly for males to demonstrate their prowess before the females. I find the females, curiously enough, far more cut-throat in their tactics, particularly in partner selection, with this extending even to partner poaching. Moreover, I disagree with Nicholas' contention that most males don't derive pleasure from rhythmical movement to music. I think that's largely cultural in North America. In many Latin cultures, it is considered the social norm for guys to dance; indeed, the guys who are the best dancers are considered the most 'macho'. Even in North America, many guys do love and respect music in many forms, and a good many are musicians themselves. Those who play musical instruments have to possess some understanding of the movement associated with creating music.
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Good to see you posting again psittac! I enjoyed your post!
  9. psittac

psittac New Member

You know, a current pet peeve of mine is that I'm finding that a lot of the intermediate level followers in the competitive circuits (i.e., Silver and Gold levels in IDSF syllabus), worry much more about honing their stylistic skills, than about connection and follow. A lot of the ladies seem to rely upon having memorized routines to follow, rather than truly reacting and responding to a partner's lead. Among the Standard dances, I find this particularly true in International Tango, while this problem seems to plague all the Latin dances. I know that as leaders, we are probably responsible for a good 75% of ensuring that the lady gets the message; however, having danced with a variety of ladies, it seems there's a huge range of sensitivity to leads among the female dance population.
  10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I've seen this too, and perhaps the fairest thing to say is that dancing is different things to different people.
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Can I dance w/you, huh huh can I can I? I could use the practice in following. Which is how I think of social dancing as, anyway: practice in following.

BOT: I recently went to a beginner group class in a studio in a city far away from where I live, and it was overpopulated w/guys, mostly young. More leads than follows, some with enough experience to actually lead, instead of trying to remember what to do with their feet. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. So maybe things are changing, and more guys have started dancing, we just haven't seen the ripple effect yet in socials and comps?
  12. Chris Stratton

My suspicion is that there are always pockets like that, mostly resuting from dancing being presented in a different way.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I would suspect the followers that have gotten to point they worry more about style than follow, and being used to/insiting on a routine, are a side effect of areas where there aren't enough leads. So the women in question get used to just dancing/competing pro am. Gives them same routine with same lead, likely an experienced leader with a strong lead, etc. In their position, stylistic improvement often can be biggest thing to concentrate on. I know I got a huge response (I'm a lead, but still) this last competition when I went out there and worried less about technique during the heats and more about just style.
  14. Chris Stratton

Quite understandably. But it becomes circular on the occasions when guys do wander in, see this going on, and realize that this evolution has made them unecessary.

Its a tricky thing to carry on in the abscence of one half of the picture, while retaining the opportunity to make use of it if it should happen to show up.
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Agree absolutely. :)

That is one advantage to fact my main studio concentrates on social dancing, not competitive. THe followers tend not to be looking just for their regular routine, etc. Course, for last month or so (and probalby at least for another month now), I'M stuck in my routines just because that's what I'd been practicing every day for comp last week. But haven't had any complaints yet. :)
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Teach would drop dead before he let this happen to any of his women students. We are all taught to follow. (Some of us with more success than others.:oops:) Which is partly why I was so impressed with so many of the guys at this group class. A good many of them were *leading* me.
  17. The Trippmeister

The Trippmeister New Member

I dance, but I've definitely noticed the tendency of other guys not to. In fact it wasn't until I arrived at college a year ago that I myself started, though that's partly because I didn't have time to start anything new...

Actually that tendency helps out here... it balances out the 3 to 1 male-to-female ratio at my school ;). We usually have pretty equal numbers.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

although...alot of leads who social dance are also regurgatating whatever their most recent group lesson on that style was...and so the ladies who were at that group are at an advantage...not neccessarily following either...alot of times those of us with an over-abundance of competitive experience are, in fact, very accustomed to an unambiguous lead, true...but, in a social venue the problem is partly that we may have a limited reperatoire and partly that the lead may be far more ambiguous...so, the ladies who have been to many groups may fare better perhaps b/c they are better followers but, just as likely, b/c they are better at guessing what the pattern is due to having participated in the same group lessons...m2c
  19. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Just back from a Social Dance - what a trip!!! New set up with a live dance band so everyone (frow Swing and Ballroom) was there to see what would happen. I did West Coast Swing, Lindy, Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Waltz, Balboa, and Ballroom Jive. . . . a rather crazy but wonderful evening.

My Swing class think I'm superhero because I can fumble my way through social ballroom :)

It was a trully bizarre evening, marvellous fun, with few barriers between the different dance forms.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

glad to hear it