Why don't guys dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancin_feet, Mar 10, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

For some reason, trombone and trumpet were considered macho enough for the guys to get away with it. The poor guys who played flute ... it was sad indeed. :lol: :wink:

I guess it would have to be Lerner and Lowe. I saw My Fair Lady first, and Pygmalion several years later.

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

for those of you who've seen "shall we dance". the premise for the secrecy was that mainstream japanese culture assumed that guys who pursued ballroom dance were somehow... a little "off" (although in aoki's case that was probably on the mark).

3. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Unless the flute guys hid it away in their bari or tenor case. Or learned to play like Ian Anderson.... 8)

But I don't know how macho the trombone looked--it sure felt dorky and awkward on the bus. I feel a lot more like a guy now that I can dance bolero! :wink:

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Then it's obvious you know nothing of my high school heart throb Anthony, the trombone player. Ahhh. I swoon just thinking about him. He was no dork. He was a hottie ... With swollen, kissable lips. :oops: :lol: The trombone guys and trumpet guys were the best of the bunch. I stayed away from the violin and flute guys ... even though I played both. Gotta have a brass player, myself. LOL. :lol: :lol: (either that, or piano)

5. Genesius Redux

Well, yes, you do have to have the embouchure for that upper register--but IMO the real test of kissability would have to be a rich lower and middle register--don't waste your time with the guy who never dips below middle C, and demand nothing less than a two and a half octave working range--3 or more is even better!

At the risk of being accused of shameless e-flirtation, my first sweetheart was a flute player as well--as were three of my later girlfriends. In those days, though, to get semi-back on topic, we didn't dance. The byword was disco sucks, but it was all around us, especially for musicians. Maynard was the man, and he was putting everything to disco--Rocky, Star Trek, "Maria" (from West Side Story), Scheherezade (yes, Rimsky-Korsakoff to disco, I kid you not!), and the tenor aria "Vesti la giubba" from "Pagliacci." Amid such commercial absurdity, how could one face the music and dance?

I will, however, admit thus much--I brought in some old Maynard the other day for my dance teacher, when she wanted to do some hustle. She was dying when she heard the disco percussion and the cheesy vocals. David Hamilton was in the studio that day, and when he heard the "Theme from Rocky," he burst into laughter, and said he remembered doing his audition for the high school cheerleading squad to Maynard's version of the song....

Cheers,

Genesius

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I LOVE saxaphone & trumpet players myself :D ! For some reason I go weak at the knees when they do a solo during a descarga....... :p

My one true crush (we ALL have one, right, girls :wink: ?) is a saxaphone player........in his presence I turned from a dignified salsera into a hoplessly besotted teenage groupie :roll: .........

(ok, that was years ago....but parts of us never grow up...!)

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I do. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Change the word 'swing' to 'salsa' and that'd be my story.

:shock: SEE...!!?? All you guys out there, see what we girls go through to get you guys onto the dancefloor....?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hmm, I think another thing that really scares the guys away from dancing is the men that are more experienced, the "wolf/shark pack" that are there to descend upon the women and show off how big their ego's are...err I mean their well polished dance skills. :roll:

I was talking with one of my teachers a while ago about this...that a newbie a guy (especially a shy one like I used to be) will get a lot of "sympathy dances" at first. But after a while, you gotta start asking and as soon as you become somewhat proficient...you are competition for those wolves and sharks. I watch what these guys are doing when I'm looking to ask a lady to dance, and sometimes you gotta be quick to get there first. You snooze, you lose in most cases. :p

I saw it happen tonight...and man I swear its almost as bad as watching animals on the Discovery Channel. Right at the start of the dance a guy I've seen many times before just beelined for the youngest, prettiest girl at the dance and then danced with her many times...showing her the dances and using every oppotunity to place his hands on her for some mild groping. Doesn't matter the venue...these guys are everywhere.

I have promised myself that if I ever become a really good dancer, that I will not be like this. I like to dance with beginners...but not in a sleazy way like that. Just not my style.

Back when I was a total novice these guys used to intimidate the hell out of me. Now, I actually find it kind of funny! :D

So, don't let em' get to you guys...get out there and ask those ladies to dance! :wink:

SG

9. voilsb

voilsb New Member

Lead-heavy scene! Hello? Why don't you ladies come here, where the boys are plentiful? Turn it into this: :ladiesma:

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Same here! This has become my mission; when a song starts and nobody asks me to dance, I make for any guy looking at the dancefloor and beg him to get up and dance with me on the assumption that

1. He's come to a dance (in my case salsa) venue, so he cannot be totally uninterested, right?
    2. He's a man, of course he'll be flattered by the fact that a young woman wants to spend the next 4 minutes with him. :lol:

If he knows the mambo step (i.e., been to a class before), I let him lead -- if he doesn't know anything other than the basic step, that's fine by me. If he's never danced salsa before, I show him the basic step (I'm a lousy teacher and that's the only thing I can teach :oops:). The emphasis is always on fun ("don't worry if you screw up, just listen to the music and move with it :) "), in the hope that the experience is pleasant enough for the guy to decide to take up lessons... We always need more men in our scene!

I thought such a thing only existed in my dreams...

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

yes! pedal b flat!

(tuba/trombone/baritone horn)

(and violin/viola/piano/guitar/bass guitar/alto sax)

no doubt! give it one/chameleon/birdand/shaft/the theme from star trek/ the list goes on...

he gave a seminar at my high school. some poor schlub asked him "how do you play so high?" not to be outdone in schlubness, his response was: "just put your lips together and blow."

12. Genesius Redux

That would be Maynard lol! Though there was an intersting tune by Louis Prima years earlier that did the same thing. It was called "The Lip" and it's on his album "The Wildest." I don't know if you know Prima--like Maynard he was a huge popularizer who surrounded himself with some of the best sidemen in the biz. Most dancers know Prima because of "Shake, Rattle, and Roll." But I first discovered him because my favorite Disney movie of all time was "The Jungle Book," in which Prima did the voice of King Louie, singing "Oobie doo! I wanna be like you-hoo-hoo...." And yes, I wanted to be like him-im-im. 8)

13. Vin

Vin New Member

I also live in a lead heavy scene. More often than the other way around in my area you will see two guys dancing together. Last night at a small(break time) salsa gathering stats-
    5-8 leads
    1-3 follows
    Of course when we get alot of new beginners it turns around a bit, but only for a short time. The good female dancers hate it because they never get to learn how to lead :D .

14. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Yikes, did I tell you I used to play the sax? My chops are pretty rusty but I can still play ok...its been a while though.

I never could get into playing a flute...it just didn't have the same feel as a bari or tenor sax that belted out some serious sound. I used to play a little trombone, but I was never very good at it. Of course, my friends who played the t-bone just loved to put strings on their spit valves so they could nail us sax players in the front row. Jerks. :)

SG

15. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I play the flute and the piccolo... there's just something about the sound... seems much more emotional to me than any other instrument I've heard.

16. cupojoe2

cupojoe2 New Member

:idea: It sounds like a few of us located in lead heavy areas need to move to Australia, Scotland or - if it wouldn’t be stepping on TSB’s toes - Pasadena 8).

...it also sounds like I should take up playing the sax... :wink:

17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

brass and woodwind embouchres are almost mutually exclusive. after playing low brass (tuba, trombone, baritone horn) for over 20 years i started alto sax. for a while i had to play with a '4' reed just to get my chops tired enough to loosen up (then i'd switch to a 1) to get a decently silky tone.

i've never seen that. good idea! our way of retatliating at hecklers while in marching band (especially when away at michigan state & ohio state - i went to michigan) was emptying our third valves in their general direction.

18. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

LOL. you mean i'm going to need to start marking my territory?! :shock:

seriously, if you're talking salsa scene, it's probably as lead heavy as anywhere else. ballroom is another matter. last night there were plenty to go around - i had four ladies show up (when i was expecting one)!

19. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Cool. Alto was my first sax and was my fav till I picked up Tenor...this old jazz cat that I used to practice with told me one day "Hate to tell you this, but with the way you blow, you're a tenor man. Stop playing that Alto!" Needless to say, he was right. :)

What kind of reeds do you use? Funny...I started with Rico...then went to every brand under the sun (Vandoren Javas come to mind)...then eventually I went back to Ricos...the really cheap ones. Best sound I ever had was on those...once I knew how to pick the good ones out of the box. ;)

Uh...marching band...part of my life I'd rather forget! There was one guy that used to do this all the time...or he'd get all the bone players to shoot their valves at us...the only thing I could do to relatiate was to turn the bell of my sax upside down and dump it on some unsuspecting sap. :D

Man I'm glad those days are far behind me...;)

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Mind if I disagree? I'm a professional orchestral flutist, and I've played tuba and euphonium in my high school and college ensembles with no problem! The trick is just to practice them both equally so that all of the muscles get trained correctly.