Why has Windows 7 Been Rendered So Unusable?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DWise1, Jul 2, 2011.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

How or where? Go to start menu, click computer. On top menu bar is organize, system properties, uninstall or change a program, map network drive, open control panel, all right there

2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You had said Windows Explorer. Not "computer". I was looking at the Windows Explorer I had open. Obviously not the same thing.

And my point still stands that the control panel is a much more dangerous place for a novice than any main menu could ever be, so why hide the latter and allow full access to the former?

There is (or hopefully should be) a difference between removing the OS's functionality and hiding it from novices. We know that M$ is hiding more and more functionality, but are they also removing functionality? It certainly feels like they are.

So what if someone needs to do something useful and it's hidden away? Shouldn't some provision be made to allow someone to do something useful? Yes, obviously. If the option is not presented in any menu or dialog box that is normally accessible, there should at least be something about it in Help. In many past versions of Windows, help was next to useless, but by WinXP it actually had gotten to be rather good. But in trying to find how to search content in Win7, help wasn't very useful at all. At least not until I happened to stumble upon the keywords search filter. And even then, out of the 10's of hits listed, only one was of any real use and even that one was somewhat sketchy.

Another option is for M$ to create a "wizard" to walk us through the process. Why can't there be a search wizard?

If M$ wants to cater to novices by dumbing Windows down ever dumber, they still need to maintain some level of functionality and inform us of how to find that functionality.

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Sorry, I'd rather not read through 6 pages of non-dance-related posts - so I apologize if this has been asked and answered already.

What do you mean by 'search utility'? Are you talking about the 'Search programs and files' text box in the Start Menu, or are you referring to the 'Search Computer'/'Search Local Disk (C:)'/'Search <foldername>' text box in Windows Explorer? Or is this in another application like Outlook?

Are you on Windows 7 SP1 yet? (If not, you really should get there. If an old machine can run 7, it can run 7-sp1).

Have you tried initiating the rebuilding of the index? (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...es-using-the-index-frequently-asked-questions)

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

In Windows explorer, it's the same method. Menus are contextual. Open windows explorer, click computer, you get map network drive etc as options. Map network drive is made available when you're under computer, because that's where the drives would appear. When you're in default location, under libraries, it doesn't make sense to enable map network drive for a regular user, so it's not visible there

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Windows 7 is like going into your favourite supermarket and finding everything on;

a) a different shelf
    b) a different aisle
    c) grouped with something completely different.

Not sure it's been mentioned in this thread but you can change the working of the search feature by going into Windows Explorer > Tools tab > Folder Options > Search.

I miss the old Search companion too. There are some 3rd party applications out there that can mimick the old one...

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

In my experience, documentation (which often but not always turns out actually to exist and describe all that's needed) usually doesn't help in situations like this.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you didn't have Word installed previously, why would you expect Windows to associate .doc files with Word?

8. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm using a different Windows 7 from a couple of other people...in my experience, it's been nothing but intuitive and easy to use.

As for associating .doc files with MSWord...I usually do that by right-clicking on the file icon, clicking "Open With", selecting MSWord, and then ticking the "always use the selected program to open this type of file" radio box.

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes, L.

You have the same Windows 7 as everybody else. It's just that different users want different things and that there's a bunch of nuts-and-bolts stuff that happens behind the scenes while the typical computer user has no idea it's happening.

It's only when you have someone like the OP that wants to straddle the divide that you have these kinds of conversations. Interesting conversations, btw. *grin*

11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, your response got garbled by a smilie. Things are worse than Clippie.

As I said, that smilie garbled your response, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you are referring to the search options dialog box, all that offers is selecting between searching through indexed files or non-indexed files. Has nothing to do with any method for specifying a search based on filename and content.

Search within an application would be simple; those would be far less likely to have been broken, provided they don't rely on a common service from the OS. I was not talking about that. Plus, I only use Outlook at work and never at home.

The Start Menu text box seemed to only look for applications to run and I have rarely found a use for it.

I am referring to the search text box in the Windows Explorer upper right corner. There is no apparent means to specify content to be searched for. In the course of this thread, I did finally stumble upon a single help page that revealed the existence of a syntax for constructing a search filter string to specify file wild-card names and wild-card content strings. However, that syntax is very imcompletely described and it does not allow one to differentiate between filenames and content outside of a .NET notation which is not explained.

Yes, I do have Win7 SP1. It's obviously no better in this matter than Win7. And this is a new computer (well, a year and a half old) which came with Win7 installed. Why would anyone take a perfectly good older machine and load a new and deficient OS on it? The only reason to upgrade to a new OS is when you have to buy a new computer, whereupon the new OS is forced on you.

Why ask? Indexing has absolutely nothing to do with the problem of being able to specify the search parameters. It was very straight-forward in WinXP and before, but now to "make it much easier" Win7 requires us to compose a convoluted .NET search filter string with much lower specificity (meaning that it generates a much larger number of false hits), with the added benefit "to make it much easier" of a severe lack of documentation on how to compose those search filter strings.

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

AKA "who hid my cheese". But to expand on your analogy, the supermarket goes further to stop carrying essential staple items, while claiming that it still does carry them.

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I did have Word previously installed. Word 2000. Then I installed Word 2010 and made the mistake of uninstalling 2000.

Now .doc files are associated with MS Works Word Processor (MSWWP), which has no clue what to do with a Word .DOC file. And file association is no longer in the Folder Options, so I went to Default Programs in the control panel. It only offers MSWWP and Open XML Converter. There's an expanded program list, but that does not offer Word 2010. And BTW, if I first open Word 2010, I can use its Open File option to open a DOC file.

My solution: reinstall Word 2000. Then Default Programs let me associate the extension to Word 2000 and it works.

So this is the way of it: reinstall the old ways in order to overcome the deficiencies of the new ways.

14. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

As I've described, MSWord was not an option offered by "Open With" nor with the file-association utility in the control panel. This was with Word 2010, which is able to open a .DOC file from within its own File Open dialog. When I installed Office 2010, I made the mistake of uninstalled Office 2000. My solution was to reinstall Word 2000 and associate .DOC files with that.

What is intuitive for some is not for others. For example, Apple software is supposed to be the most intuitive to use, but I find it most frustratingly un-intuitive. A co-worker has a Mac at home that his wife uses and whenever he has to set something up for her he has the exact same kind of experience as I do.

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Default programs, Associate a file type or protocol, Choose .doc, click change program, click browse, browse to word 2010

Just because something happened during your word install so that it didn't associate with .doc files (or more likely, during your word 2000 uninstall) doesn't mean that Windows won't let you associate it with word. I'm not sure you can blame Windows, esp when Microsoft specifically says that office 2000 (and it's components) aren't compatible with Windows 7

16. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I had already tried that. Browsed to \Program Files\Microsoft Office. Nothing there. Browsed down to Office12 and Office 14, nothing in either of them. Office 2010 is on my system, including Word 2010. Any suggestions where else to browse to to find it?

Office 2000 may not be compatible with Win7, but Word 2000 is reinstalled and it's the only solution that's been found to work.

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword.exe is where I have it

18. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Go to Folder Options, and in the Search tab, tweak around with the options.

19. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In order to do what exactly? Seriously! Just exactly what are we supposed to accomplish there that has anything at all to do with the problem? Seriously!

That "advice" has already been offered here multiple times. It does absolutely nothing to answer the problem of being able to specify the parameters of the search (eg, filename wildcard spec and contents spec while differentiating between the two.).

20. Actually, the solution would have been to uninstalled and then reinstall Word 2010. The reason why the file association didn't work, at least as you describe it, is because you still had Word 2000 installed on the machine when you installed 2010. If you had first uninstalled Word 2000, and then installed 2010, the file association would most likely have been correct. Microsoft (and most other software companies, frankly) gives a specific upgrade path for various versions of their software. The upgrade path for Office was 2000, 2003, 2007, to 2010. If you had installed each of those versions of Office, one on top of another, your file associations might have been preserved. Microsoft doesn't make any guarantees that their file associations will be maintained if you start skipping versions.