WIDE feet!!! and ballroom shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elaine, Aug 25, 2004.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Okay, it depends on the brand, model, type of shoe and how you like to wear them. Really, it's best to try them on somewhere. And...here comes the latin toe hang vs. court shoe/practice shoe discussion.

For latin, you may have heard about the preference of some dancers to have their toes hang over the edge of the shoe a bit. This will affect what size and width you order. For latin sandals (and I prefer the toe hangage), I actually order a International x-wide shoe that is 4 sizes smaller than my american street shoe size (which is 1.5 or 2 sizes smaller than recommended on the websites). In Supadance latins I usually order about 3.5 sizes smaller than my american street shoe.

Court or smooth shoes fit differently for me with a closed toe. For Supandance court or smooth shoes depending on the model I will order either 1.5 or 2.0 sizes down from my american street shoe.

So you see, it's best to try the shoes on somewhere first. There are just too many variables with brands, styles, widths and the structures of our feet.
  2. poopy

poopy New Member

Grr this is confusing. So 2.5 from "normal american shoe size"....does that mean from your stree shoe?
    So its either
    -2.5 from street shoe
    -2 from DANCE shoe

is this correct?
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes.

i wear 9 US, ordered 6.5W UK...
  4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

(BTW, I assumed you were referring to Latin shoes)

I wear a size 9 street shoe (sometimes 8.5). When I first started dancing, I bought the recommended UK size 7 Latin sandal. TOO long. UK 6 or 6.5 in Supadance is best for me, but it depends on how much "toe hang" you like. For International brand, I buy UK 5.5. I definitely would not go so far down in size for Standard court shoes.
  5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

and don't even get me started on European sizing (like Dance Naturals) :headwall:
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

*grin* wasn't even gonna' bring that up....
  7. poopy

poopy New Member

Thanks for all your help. Looks like I'm going to be "stuck" (in more ways than the figurative sense) with my Capezios until I can try out a pair of Supas. I need dance shoes fast because regular ones are giving me back problems, but I can't find any dance shoes wide enough! Argh!
  8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I was recently in England and had my feet measured as 7E one side and 6.5E on the other so I need 7Es. Anyone know what the equivalent is in the W designation - is this 7W or 7WW or what? Why don't the ballroom shoes conform to the street shoe widths? And, yes, anyone know of a company in europe that makes good ballroom pumps in a 7E? I am desperate - the heel for my competition shoes (which I bought indesperation from china - they were not bad by the way) finally gave way and the date is getting rather close!

help! here too... rest of details: satin, skin tone, short heel, any narrowish kine, preferably with a strap....
  9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Elise, I think the American shoe sizing is two sizes larger than the UK's? Of course, influenced by the width/design of the shoe. Therefore, if you measured 7E/6.5E, my guess is that you are probably a 9W/8.5W.

I have a pair of latin danceshoes from Supadance which I absolutely love. Is it possible to get Supadance near you to try the ballroom shoes? Am guessing that that is what you are after, based on the photo in your profile.
  10. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Very Fine does have an adjustable width shoe that I like a lot. I have very wide feet as well. It is Model #C1620 but make sure it is the "Party Party" or "Signature" line. These are much higher quality, not like the regular crappy VF's. Supadance also carries this style (VF knocked it off I'm sure ;))

http://www. danceshoesstore .com/product_info.php?cPath=3_226_372&products_id=856

You can order Supadance shoes from this website and they allow returns.
    http://www. showtimedanceshoes .com/index.php/cPath/4

Remove all of the spaces... :rolleyes:
  11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thanks for the stab at it - I was proudly giving my english size in the hope of finding a european supplier - I know my US size, its 9/9.5 and probably a WW (yet to find one that really fits) - but its the width thats so hard and all the shoes are differnt - and all th emakers tell you that they have just the shoe for you. My closet knows different!! What I really need is custom fitted shoes
  12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Supadance as I (and others) mentioned earlier? :(

Danceislove mentioned Show Time dance shoes' website. One possible benefit I can think of, of trying them is the lower postage costs and possible faster delivery speed versus ordering from Europe.
  13. poopy

poopy New Member

Showtime has a great selection BUT they didn't carry any wide widths :( Sucks for me
  14. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Yes they do. Only on certain styles though. These below come in wide for example:

[​IMG]

Also, look into the styles that have adjustable widths such as these:

[​IMG]

They even have these smooth shoes in wide widths:

[​IMG]
  15. poopy

poopy New Member

omg! you are right! thank you so much. i figured out the reason i wasn't seeing the wide before was because when i select the 3" there is no wide on some styles, so i'll just have to go down to 2.5 inch. thanks! i cant wait to try these
  16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Beware rhinestone buckles.... they break very easily. Either replace them or take your chances that your shoe will fall off!
  17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

On buckles - my chinese pumps had a strap (which I like) but an odd buckle. It was composed of a regular pin in an up-and-down buckle - but this was not attached to the shoe but rode on the strap permanently. Instead the show has a prong on it that you hook around the strap behind the buckle. Does that description make sense? I hated them as the prong tended to get entagled with teh strap and buckle so that it was near impossible to take off.

Is this type of thing common?
  18. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I need extra wide shoes, too and I finally found a vendor that carries many nice styles and colors in a big range of sizes. They were at a dance competition that I recently attended. They carry many major brands also.

http://www.comfortdanceshoes.com/contact.html

Their website is not set up for online shopping yet, but you can reach them at 770-539-9474 to get more information and a printed catalog.
  19. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Really? I haven't had any problems with mine?
  20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. Every single pair of shoes I have owned (different makers, even) has had issues with the rhinestone buckles. They're soldered prong-set rhinestones versus solid m.etal buckles, hence why they're so much weaker, I surmise. Never broke a "real" buckle.