WIDE feet!!! and ballroom shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by elaine, Aug 25, 2004.

1. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Well, actually if you go to zem.co.uk you will see the link of dancesport.uk.com;)
  2. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Yes that's why I was assuming that you meant dancesport. Zem is the web design company that manages the dancesport website.

I did look at that website previously, it takes 8-10 weeks to get a size wide though :shock:
  3. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Yes, that is true. But, I can't find any shoes fit on my feet in stores.:(
  4. Plushdancer

Plushdancer New Member

I have wide feet too and searched all over the discount sites and finally gave up and just ordered directly from Capezio - seems like most of their shoes come in wide. I have 1.5 inch and 2.5 inch latin heels from them and 2 inch court shoes. So, far they seem to hold up well, bt I've only had them for a few months...
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have a fairly wide forefoot and wear Ray Rose in their wide sizes for latin (labeled as "M+"). Only certain models come in wide. You might want to try Earthquakes in wide, they have the widest forefoot that I've tried in that line of shoes. Has very nice flexibility for pointing and does come in 2.5" heel.

www. rayrose.com
  6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I have used ZEM and found them very helpful - they even changed a pair that I had recieved the previous year!

I have the same shoe problem and have been using International. Note however, for standard pumps they come in both a pointed and round toe - its important to get the latter for real space for your toes/joints.

On the downside, three pairs of the International pumps have had the same problem - when I changed the heel tip (pull out, push in) it broke the stem inside the heel - it did not come off but ended up being wobbly. Aparently theyuse a plastic stem tha tis not strong enough. Another point on the Internationals is that they have rather little padding in the sole so figure on maybe having to put an insert in to get it comfortable - I cut mine out for a home made orthodontic!

I'm at the classique and found a very nice shoe with a wide fitting here from superdance - I had to buy it 1/2 (european) larger than normal - but the result is remarkably comfortable.
  7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Supadance makes the 1008 in wide up to a UK size 8 (10us) but the arch isn't especially high. It is flexible so you might want to try it. For latin they make the 1029 in wide.
    Come to think of it, they will make anything in wide if you ask for it.
  8. Tenehill

Tenehill New Member

To figure out your UK (and other) shoe sizes, read the article "Shoe sizes" in wikipedia.
  9. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Ok so I emailed a Ray Rose rep to ask about the Earthquake model and with the wide they only add a couple mm to the straps, the insole is the same width as the medium which means my feet would just be hanging out...:confused:
    Are all shoes like this in the wide where they just make the straps longer?? I want the actual sole to be wide enough for my feet. Any suggestions?
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You have to ask about the 'last' (the frame used to cut the sole) size. A true W should have a broader sole. International and Superdance shoes are true 'W's.
  11. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Ok well I called World Tone down in California and they had a UK7 wide in the Supadance 1066 in stock, so I'm having that shipped up to me. The person I spoke with said that this style is also more prone to stretching out in the width because the straps are all satin and don't have leather on the back, which for me is probably a good thing. I didn't want to have to wait 8 weeks to order them from Supadance (ridiculous!). I'll let y'all know how they turn out :D *fingers crossed*

[​IMG]
  12. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Yes, it might be too long, but if you have a pair you can wear right now, ordering over there is not bad. They also have a good deal. I got this model by $50 cheaper than the one I got from the store. Good luck with your shoe shopping!;)
  13. danceislove

danceislove New Member

You got them cheaper through the supadance website or showtime?
  14. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Actually, from dancesport.uk.com.
  15. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

Stephanie shoes

http://www.stephaniedanceshoes.com/

All of them are wide and high in the toe box. If you have "normal" feet, you have to specially order narrow. This is true for their Latin and Standard shoe.

For the Standard shoe, I actually have to put a pad underneath to fill in space, so it's a bit high, but I love that my toes are not squished. I was ready to order custom shoes before I found these.

You can order them here:
    http://www.ballroom-connection.com/xcart/home.php
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

fantastic K&M - this may be just what I am looking for.

How 'hardy' are they? I'm pretty tough on shoes...
  17. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

I've been searching for court shoes for my narrow feet. I wear Werner Kern Laura and have not been happy with the fit. There is not enough padding in the sole and the shoe isn't very flexible...I can't use my toes like I would like. I just got off the phone with the owner of TNT Dance Designs in FL and he was very helpful - they make custom dance shoes to your specification. We spoke for over 1/2 hour about shoes. Their prices aren't any higher than some of the off-the-shelf high quality shoes. They mainly sell Very Fine, but the custom shoes are made by cobblers in the U.S. and are of a very high quality. I've decided to order the Elastic Court Shoe in a narrow.

They make open toe shoes in wide, extra wide, regular heel with wide toe box, extra sole padding, flexi-options, etc. Tons of options. You should check them out: http://www.tntdancedesigns.com/
  18. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Celebrity makes a variety of widths. A friend of mine has super-narrow feet, that's the only brand she can wear, because they have at least 5 different widths (from extra narrow to extra wide), and most other manufacturers have only 3.
  19. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I've been looking at possibility of getting the Ray Rose Earthquakes and have a somewhat wide forefoot. It's not wide enough for wide width street shoes and regular width street shoes fit just fine. But I've noticed that some of the regular width ballroom shoes are a little to narrow. Is the M+ a true wide width or just slightly wider? And how much stretch happens in the toe area?

Everyone I have spoken to tells me that satin doesn't stretch as much as leather, but all of the satin shoes I have purchased have stretched to the point of being to loose within a few weeks of dancing. When I get them they are tight enough to turn my toes red. Does anyone think this could be happening because they are cheap shoes or the wrong size?

EDIT: I guess I should mention that all my shoes are satin lined with leather.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

DanceAngel, I've never tried a regular width RR, but they're known for running a bit narrow. As for the Wide Earthquakes, it's going to be a matter of how wide your forefoot is. I wear a regular width street shoe, but wear the wide in RR. But, I like the forefoot area to be a bit looser than most I believe. I want to be able to spread my toes and the ball of my foot in to the ground (I just make sure to have a tight under arch strap to keep the shoe on snug).

As for which strap stretches more leather or satin, I have no idea. I always wear satin reinforced with leather.