Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Wine is another one of my hobbies in life and I've been meaning to start a thread on wine for awhile. Hope you don't mind me sharing. :cool:

I recently had a 2004 Crucero Carmenere made in the Colchagua Valley in Chile by a vinter named Alberto Siegel. It was deep red in color, having an earthy scent with prune and violets, while tasting like plum and dark berries that sort of swirled, yet with a smooth almost velvety feel and a very good sense of balance as it moved across the tongue. There were also hints of pepper, chocolate, and coffee in the background. Doesn't seem to be the kind of wine that will age and last for many years to come, but it is very drinkable currently. Enjoyed this with Mexican food, crackers, cheese, and chocolate for desert.

Feel free to post regarding wines you've tried and liked or disliked, how they have tasted, what you have enjoyed with them, things that have intriqued you, questions, or whatever you find is important about wine.

And remember, alcohol in moderation could be ok, but mixing it with other kinds of activities beyond a good meal can be hazardous, so be very careful because it can cause all kinds of problems that would be best to avoid.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh DP swoon...I love you...and when I have time I will post a novel-ette.....this is going to be very very bad ...
  3. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Now, now, I do encourage moderation. ;) :lol:
  4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The only thing I know about wine is that I like it, mostly white wine. Not bubbly. I don't like bubbly. That's all. I'm too young to know more than that. ;)

T_E
  5. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Probably not to young to learn. ;)

White wines are an ok place to start. Is there a particular kind that you like? Say like the name of a vinter, style, or grape varietal that you have enjoyed?
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I prefer sweeter wines, I think they're called dessert wines(?). There is a Pensylvannian winery, which produces Shawnee Red (red, obviously) and Frog Hollow (pink).The latter one has a silly name, but tastes awesome. Also, I have tried something called eiswine, which is made with frozen grapes, that was delicious, too. I am more a cocktail person, though. Mu husband makes awesome cocktails.
  7. fascination

viongner (sp?) and vouvrey please...slurp
  8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

:rolleyes: :kissme:
  9. fascination

yummy...just love the undertones of apple, apricot and pear to a vouvrey...however, my three favorite snooty wines (as opposed to the swill I drink on a daily basis) are all cabernets: caymus, fes parker and farniente...mmmmmmm
  10. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I've moved away from most of the sweet tasting wines because most of them are rather uninteresting. It always seems to be the same stuff, rather then the adventure of variety with the dryer style of wines. As with any general rule there are exceptions, and the desert style wines can be very enjoyable particularly paired with tasty desserts. The ice wines can also be very scrumptious as well.
  11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Care (short for Carolyn, my wife) and I are pretty deep into wine, wine tasting and wine buying.

We like the richer red wines the most. We got away from those floral and fruity types to those with blackberry, other berries, and/or chocolate tastes.

We look for low tannin wines too.

I have a list of our favorites, and with a few exceptions from Australia, we like the California wines the best . . . merlots, syrahs . . .
  12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

sauv blanc and pinot noir for me ;)
  13. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Ah! Viognier! I discovered this white wine early in my wine tasting experiences. It was at a time when this grape variety was just beginning to make a reappearance on store shelves a ways back.

This grape had all but fallen out of use at one point, but it has been making a return, particularly by vinters experimenting with it in California. It tends to do well in dry areas, and not as well in more humid or moist conditions, and it can be difficult to grow effectively which can cause the bottlings to be more expensive then the average white.

Viognier tends to be complex in aroma and flavor, and is often blended with other white grapes to increase the richness of a wine. Flavors that can be found include flowers, apricots, mango, pineapple, kiwi, mint, butter, and others. It can go well with spicy foods, grilled fish and chicken, and even asian style meals, too.

Unfortunately I don't have any Viognier remaining in my small collection, but I do currently have one 2004 Blancaneaux by Rubicon Estates owned by Francis Coppola in Rutherford, CA. It was made with 59% Roussanne, 26% Viognier, and 15% Marsanne. Interestingly, only 522 cases were produced, making it difficult to find, rather expensive, yet I'm told very good. :D
  14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Familiar with Caymus and Fess Parker, but not Farniente so maybe I'll do some research.
  15. fascination

daaaahling, its a MUST...but er...it isn't everyday prices....we..er appropriated some when we stayed at the head partner's house in boca...he had a cellar to die for... hiccup.....in moderation of course
  16. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

The red wine varieties do seem to more likely have a complex and entertaining taste. The wines with a low tannins tend to be drinkable now and not good agers. I'm most experienced with wines from CA, but beginning to learn about Italian and French, where it almost seems the styling is different. I have also experimented with Argentina and Chile, too, and find this area to produce some neat stuff like Malbec's and Carmenere's along with some decent Cabernet Sauvignon's.
  17. fascination

I once heard that a good sauv blanc smells like cat pee...that really blew it for me:rolleyes:
  18. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I haven't had much luck with the Sauvignon Blanc, but then my focus has been elsewhere, and look forward to exploring them furhter. Pinot Noir is one of those seemingly trickier grapes for us Americans to work with, but I've had some good ones anyway. :cool:
  19. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

:lol: There are a lot of things I haven't experienced with wine ... yet. ;)
  20. fascination

so do you know anything about Vouvrey DP?...I don't care much for whites..I am a cabernet girl...but I love a vouvrey with seafood or fruit especially in the summer...not unlike a dry reisling....now dh is a pinot noir fella