Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. QPO

QPO New Member

Red Bubbly is great in hot weather. Nice and cold from the fridge tastes great~!
  2. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

I just tried Conundrum for the first time. I do not usually drink white wines but this one was great! Not too sweet and not to dry. A great blend. It was wonderful on a hot Florida afternoon. I would love to know if anyone else has tried it????
  3. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Had K-J Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 with beef, peas, and the SO's special mac&cheese. :cool:

The wine was ok. Bit of sweet black cherry in the beginning, but this faded, and then it was mostly blackberry with hints of cassis, chocolate, and coffee. Not bad, not great. Ok to serve to company, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase again.
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Had an Amarone do Valopicella (think that's the name of that style) for first time this weekend. Was good. Not $40+ good, which seems to be starting point of this style of wine, but good enough. I'll make sure to get an Amarone kit when I start making wine again, and hence can make my own for $7/bottle or so, instead of 40. :)

The chianti was good too (used that to make the ribs, and to sip on while I was cooking)
  5. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I've got a few wine grape vines growing now. It'll be a few years before they start producing well, but I look forward to trying some vinting myself. Although don't have big expectations since I have little experience with this ... "stuff" ... as the late great George Carlin might say. ;)
  6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, yeah, I've done it from kits, fresh fruit, canned fruit, frozen fruit, juice, etc. THe kits are probably most consistent, but some of the other ones were great (heh, and some, like the zucchini wine, I won't dirnk and only use to cook :) ). Actually making scallops sauteed in white wine this week to help use up last bottle of that zucchini wine. Did chicken breasts sauteed in it last weekend and one before.
  7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Yup, I don't drink wine much, but Conundrum is magical.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Amarone della Valpolicella?
  9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That's the one Joe. Least I was somewaht close. :) IN the kit forums and on the kits themselves, seem to just use Amarone, likely because if you're making it at home, not coming from Valpolicella (obviously :) )
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Did you happen to purchase it from TJs? ;)
  11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

haha,no, not this bottle, though I did stop at TJ on that same trip. This one was from Cost Plus World Market, another store I find interesting food and wine at, though I tend to go there more for furniture, wine glasses, etc. In this case, was for wine glasses and a beer sampler pack for my dad. Picked up half a case of wine, including tthis bottle, ona whim.
  12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm with you on this one. Finding this thread tugged at my heartstrings--as I miss being just a pleasant drive away from Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino...
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's virtually prohibition in the samina household. haven't done the wine or tequila thing in what feels like ages...
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

No drinking here either, though still making wine (probably start last kit I have around today).
  15. dancemominaz

dancemominaz New Member

A nice glass of merlot after a long day works for me!
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

We *really* must get together some time soon. I can fix that problem for you!
  17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, that's a problem that simply must be solved! :D
  18. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Can I join??? Please?
    I'll bring my current pinot :D
  19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Ab-solutely. Coordinate calendars!
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Can't wait until I can retrieve some bottles of wine that a friend picked up for me.

Cheap AND tasty! :)