Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dahling...my police officer has considerabley less on:cool:

2. fascination

under 30 is pretty cheap imo....but you can certainly find good wine below that...oh ...btw the vinum I mentioned is a cab w/ strong hints of vanilla

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm a cheapskate. To me a good bottle of wine is $10. :)

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It's really not *that* bad either. I think I paid $3 last time...and I preferred the red (cab) to the white (chard).

I'm with you...$15 is pretty much my limit on a bottle of wine. I generally only drink when there's company, so it's usually multiple bottles....and I need to put the money in places better spent -- like dresses!

5. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

There are still some very good finds for under $15, but much of what is under that thresh hold tends to be mass produced which means the wine seems to have less attention paid to creating it by the vinters. Of course there is lesser quality wine available for more then $15, too, so let the buyer beware there as well.

By the way, I spend far more money on dresses for the SO then I do on wine. :cool:

6. fascination

...I don't require good wine...bad for the budget...but gnerally speaking I have trouble finding really extraordinary stuff under 30...but as you said...any will do :rolleyes:

7. fascination

I think it unwise to discuss my wine or my dress budget...

8. fascination

let the sipping begin....

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

F---it. Cheap wine will get me just as lit up as expensive wine. :) Sure, the ride is a little nicer, but my wallet's a little fuller.

10. DancePoet

Hey, anytime you can drink very good wine under $15, go for it!

As an example ... paid $10.50 for 2002 Solanera. A wine by Castano from the Yecla region of Spain. Made from 65% Monastrell (Mourvedre) and 35% Cabernet Sauvignon. A purplish deep red color with lots of chocolate, tobacco, and burnt wood at the front and sides. Other tastes of raspberry, cherry, currants, blackberry, plum, olives, herbs and licorice. A light syrupy feel with tannins that were well aged and likely to be drinkable for at least the next 2 to 3 years, maybe longer.

I had an earlier vintage or two of this style a couple years back, and it didn't seem to do it for me at the time despite the reviews I read back than. Picked this one up because the price was tempting enough for having it as a pizza wine, it was the last one on the shelf, and I like the Mourvedre grape. The SO and I had it with cheese and chackers after dancing this past Saturday night, and we were mighty flipped at this surprisingly yummy experience. It even went ok with the dark chocolate and gala apples we had, too. I'll be looking for more :D

11. DancePoet

I've heard that some wine critics will taste a dozen or more different wines at one time. Granted it is only a sip or two from each bottle, but lets be real. Drinking that many flavors in a row could certainly confuse a pallate, even if they are having something dry and bland in between like crackers or bread or rinsing with water.

I had a wine this past weekend that I heard was ranked relatively high as a very good wine. It was a Hecula 2003. I was rather unimpressed. I wonder how the wine critic could have been so off compared to what I tasted. I suppose I might have had a bad bottle, but it didn't seem like the wine was bad. It just seemed like it was not as good as I expected after having read the brief review. Bummer. :(

12. DancePoet

Turns out with that 2003 Hecula mentioned above improved overnight. I had put it in a decanter and it wasn't too bad the next day. Sometimes it is neat what a bit of air can do to a wine. :cool:

Had a 2004 Zazin from the Laurel Glen Vineyard. Made of old vine zinfandel it smelled of plums immediately, and tasted of the same with hints of prunes, well rippened black cherries, currants, wood, black raspberry, and just a small touch of dark chocolate. I'm tasted some fairly big zins, but this one was rather smooth and not lots of zing despite the 15% alcohol content.

Very good. :D

13. DancePoet

Had a 2004 Blancaneaux from Rubicon Estates in Rutherford, CA.

Outstanding with Thanksgiving turkey. A nice compliment to the earthiness of the meal. This has 59% Roussanne, 26% Viognier, and 15% Marsanne. It really struck me more like a french wine then from Ca, yet that is likely because of the grapes involved. It seemed weighty, yet smooth, had some honey, lemon, and apple. Very good! :D

14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I'm trying to develop an appreciation of wine, but haven't had a lot of success. There have been two I've liked but I don't know enough to accurately identify them, one was a Gew├╝rztraminer, the other was a Pinot Grigio. Though I've since discovered that it must have been a very odd Pinot Grigio as it was rather sweet and smooth, very non-acidic -- which from what I can tell aren't the normal adjectives...

15. DancePoet

Probably one of the best ways might be to take a wine course. Sometimes these are set up for once a week for 6 to 8 weeks. I actually haven't taken one of these. Instead I read books on wine, and self taught through trial and a color wheel.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Color wheel?

17. DancePoet

I've given it the wrong name. :oops: And for the life of me I can't recall what it is really called.

Oh well ... it will come to me ... eventually.

18. fascination

dropping dead with envy

19. DancePoet

Had a 1999 Cline Zinfandel. :D

Last one. Had it sitting for a few years. I've had many folks tell me Red Zin should be drank when it is newer, but this one was just right after sitting for awhile. The last one I had was two years ago, and this defintiely improved. Not sure it would have been good in another year or two, but it was just super on Friday night with pizza from one of my favorite spots.

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Had a 1998 Frog's Leap merlot at a party on Saturday...really good stuff.