Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

They say that good wine CAN come in boxes these days. Can anyone confirm this?

2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Maybe good wine, but ... not very good. ;)

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you pour into a box, sure!

4. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Looks like the same topic was being reviewed over on the Happy and Random Thoughts thread.

Anyway ... from that thread ...

I'm impressed that you made enough wine for 120 bottles. :notworth:

Where did you get the grapes, how did you make it, and how did you get interested in making your own?

If I was do have done what you describe, I'm not sure I would have skipped drinking other types, too, and saved some bottles to see what the wine would have tasted liked further out, too.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

or if you've already had a botl of the good stuff

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, nothing to be too impressed about, really... was just what i could afford at the time: 1/2 a barrel. i actually made an entire barrel of wine, about 250 bottles' worth, but i only bought the 1/2.

the grapes came from lido, california -- i ordered them through the winery where i did everything. they handle all the details, i just had to show up and do the fun stuff. :)

there was quite literally about a ton of grapes to uncrate and then dump into a kind of huge grinding machine, which pours everything (skins included, of course) into a gigantic tub. into that goes a small cocktail of various activating agents to get the initial fermentation going.

about 10 days later i went back to put everything through a hydraulic press before pumping it into the barrel. that part was very cool... the new wine is so deliciously soda-poppy, and it pours out of the press like a waterfall, so you can scoop your cup under it and drink... til the headache ensues. LOL

anyway, initially i was going to bottle it after one year in the barrel, but i decided to make a reserve wine and i'm so glad i did. the extra year on oak made it amazingly luscious! in the interim, i designed my wine label, and when the time was right i schedule a time to bottle the wine, which was a blast!

as i've alluded to elsewhere, i've been in the restaurant business for most of my life, on & off, and so being knowledgeable of wine has been part of my job. and i always wanted to get more into the production side of it. my fave wines are cote du rhones, so i set out to make something with that style. and really, honestly... i just fortuitously struck gold.

i know... that's certainly how i viewed it as well. and i'd buy stuff now & then. but the wine was so amazing... it just gave me so much pleasure... until the pleasure ran out. LOL

the last restaurant i worked at is on the caliber of the french laundry & le bernardin, and i was very cozy with the sommelier. i was curious what he'd think of the wine, so i brought a bottle in one night and we decanted it and i shared it with him and a few guests. he was blown away... it must've been that the greek gods of my heritage added some mystical blessing to the batch, because it's certainly not any kind of expertise on my part that's the credit.

i miss that wine... :(
    that's my whine for the week... :)

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Make another barrel!

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

require$ ca$h which all goe$ for dancing, now!!$$!!

:)

9. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Wow! I've never met anyone who made their own wine. Beer yes (this is WI after all). That sounds like such a neat experience!

I remember when I was in Sicily during a couple of summers in high school the church ladies would make a lot of their own wine. I never witnessed the wine making, but I did taste it at the table. Sometimes they would store it in the fridge in empty coke bottles--which was really confusing one time when I was expecting it to be coke... LOL

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it really, really was. in a perfect world, i'd make new barrel every year... :)

instantly reminded me of my first job working on a standardbred horse farm during the breeding season... bottles of certain substances were stored in the kitchen fridge next our coffee creamer. won't go into further detail, but one had to be verrrrrrrry sure one was grabbing the right bottle! :shock:

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey guys, here's a good wine i've enjoyed drinking as some decent everyday plonk... someone introduced me to it a couple years ago and it's been a nice dependable wine. cost: 16 bucks including tax. not bad

rancho zabaco zinfandel: [​IMG]

w*w.ranchozabaco.com

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wallet hit?

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

whaddya mean?

like i said, only $16... not pricey at all

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

LOL, if I don't see a dollar sign, I don't know it's a price.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:)

i got half a bottle at home & no date for tonite, joe...:raisebro:
    and won't hit your wallet for a penny!
    <heh>

16. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Are there vintages of that wine you'd say are best so far?

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

probly -- i know i've had a few different ones but can't remember. would have to do a bit of research. basically, tho, i just grab whatever vintage my local wine shop is currently carrying...

18. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I'll give it a try sometime. What would you say the trend in flavor is?

19. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

I've also tried a Carmenère, a 2004 Mont Gras I think it was (Think it was Torres). Tastes different from any wine I've tried before. Very, very interesting.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

bold but juicy. a little wild, a little luscious. not refined.