Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

came across this pix today of the wine i made... *sigh*... only fond memories now. dang it was good...

loved that label. it was a greek wine pun. if you read it phonetically, it sounds like "in the beginning is the word" (hopefully obvious bibilical reference) but it's actually written "in the beginning is the art of winemaking". :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Looks cool to me! :D
  3. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Had a 2004 Penalolen Cabernet Sauvignon today.

Started it at lunch time with a roast beef and cheese sandwich on wheat bread. It was luscious when first opened, and hope with some aging it will taste that good through out.

Had more at dinner time with turkey, mashed potatoes, left over carrots that were crock potted with roast beef a cuple of days ago, stuffing, and potato salad. Went best with the carrots, and likely because of the roast beef flavoring. Also went ok with Thin Mint girl scout cookies. :cool:

Oh ... kind of blackberry and cassis flavoring, hints of orange and eucalyptus.
  4. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

By the way, that wine above, made in Maipo Valley, Santiago, Chile.
  5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm not a wine drinker (well, I like wine coolers and things like that lol), but I'm enjoying making my wine charms for my business! They are really fun to make. Only problem is that I'm not really sure how many to go with in a set. I come from a big family, but some people don't. So, my family would consist of eight plus everyone else that comes along. But not everyone drinks wine. So, I'm thinking that ten would be a good number just in case people have company. Hmmmmmmm.......
  6. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Try providing them in sets of four, but have different sets so that folks can make their own set of say 8 or 12 without having to have any of them be the same.
  7. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Had a couple of very good wines this past weekend with some very yummy meals.

On Saturday night we had oven roasted lamb flavored with a light amount of garlic, oregano, and rosemary. We had this with aspargus flavored with olive oil, parmesan cheese, and a tad lemon zest, snow peas, and mixed rice pilaf with lamb gravy. This meal was served with a red wine by Castell Del Remei made in 2004, called Gotim Bru, which had 50% Trepanillo, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 10% Garnacha and was vinted in Penelles, Lleida, Spain. After about an hour from being opened it really began to take on the character of a smooth european wine. Went very well with the lamb and gravy on the rice. It also didn't detract from the vegetables, and went well with the chocolate that was 70% cocoa that we had for dessert. I need to remember to go vby the place I picked this up from to buy a couple more for future meals in the next few years. :D

On Sunday afternoon, we had a very early dinner of ham, scalloped potates, left over aspargus and snow peas, and deviled eggs. We had with a 2004 Boschendal Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa. This wine was very subtle, with an initial floral bouquet that hinted at pineapple, but really displayed a rapid transition to lemon. The flavor was lemon with hints of orange, maybe even a tinge of lime, and this went super with the meal. We even got a taste of butter after having sourdough bread with maragine, and after a bite of deviled egg, the wine really seemed to have a strengthening of it's flavor. Very good with a ham that was 95 % no fat. :cool:
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

vinum...south africa...cabernet...hard to find...worth the search
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

note to self...you need to find something to post here ...soon...
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Had a 2004 Golden Kaan Shiraz, really good.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

2003 BV Zinfandel... $7.99/bottle... really, really good value... staple in my house the last few months...
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a great price.
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

tastes really good too...

i'm out. gotta get me summa dat...
  14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Hmmm ... I'll check around to see if I can find a bottle.

Recently had a 2005 Boraso from Spain, 75% Garnacha and 25% Tempranillo. This had a very nice texture and flavor that went well with pizza and Italian food. And it was only $7.20! :D :cool:
  15. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

mmmm Spanish wine . . . :)
  16. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Ayuh, I know, not sure what it is about spanish wine. Maybe I have just been lucky recently, but I've had a quite a few spanish reds that have been very good lately.
  17. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

DP's wine tip of the month ...

I've had the Catena 2005 Chardonnay and the Catena 2004 Chardonnay recently.

The 2004 is way, way better! :rocker:

These are made in Argentina, and if you want to have a 2004, better find it and snap it up quick because the 2005 is rapidly taking over the shelves.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Had some Terra Australis (I think) Shiraz, I believe a 2005 Riserva last night. Sooooo tasty!
  19. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Sounds like it was so tasty that you had quite bit. ;)

I understand. :cool:
  20. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Just back from my trip to northern N.Y. to spend some time with my brother before he is off to Iraq, and visited the three wineries in Jefferson County.

The high points ...

The best wine at a place called Thousand Island was by far their 2005 Chardonnay. At Otter Creek, I was surprised to find a Merlot that I liked, and their Frontenac was very good. The third, Yellow Barn, I found another Frontenac that I liked, and picked up a couple of bottles of two different varietal's that I can't recall their names at the moment, because I've never been exposed to them previously. However, I'll look them up and put them here soon.

Also stopped at a place called Seaway Coldhardy Grape Vineyard where the guy was sells grape vines for planting, bought ten to start growing with my brother on his farm. Decided to give the Frontenac varietal a try, yet kind of wish I had purchased 5 and 5, with one of them being a red and a white.

Anybody else ever grow grapes before :?: