Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

The two white varietal's that I had to look up from the above post are called:

Geisenheim, which has a German style taste to it, and Steuben which was semi-sweet with a bit of spicyness.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My area has one of the top wine store sin the country. Northside Wine and Spirit can be googled. I've finally decided to take advantage of it. I'm starting out by trying out the local varieties. Do any of you take advantage of local varietals in your areas?

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I've only tried one local one here. But when I was in OK I went through several local wines, and used to always stop at local wineries in southern missouri while I was driving through (OKC to chicago or vice versa). I'm a big fan of Washington wines myself.

You're lucky, as NY has one of the more unknown, but very good state wine industries. state laws there for a while made it very hard for the wineries to ship to/sell in other states, so there are still a lot of good rarely known wineries there (which is good for you, because there are less buyers from other states chasing down said wine, so you shouldnt' have a hard time finding good local stuff).

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

FWIW, the local one I had here was a merlot, and was not particularly impressive. Still very rough and overly tannic, made worse by fact I was sipping it plain, not with a meal. Quite possible (or even likely) it would have aged well, but wasn't great then. Went to a nice Hogue (another washington wine, not one of my favorites, but sister loves them) reisling after that, which was a strange switch, tannic red to asomewhat sweet white, but much nicer sipping wine.

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It would seem there is a reason that russians are not renowned for their wine. :) Bought a bottle for looks (shaped like a violin, cool looking bottle). Just kept it on shelf for the last year. Since I'm trying to cut back on things to pack and store, and because I ran out of wine ;), opened this bottle today to sip with this stew. Not particularly great. That's life though. :) C'est la vie

6. DancePoet

I've tried some of the local vineyards in New England, not bad, not great.

7. DancePoet

Had lots of good bottles recently. :D

Although I usually have wine on the weekends, tonight was a Spanish Rioja, 2005, Sierra Cantabria. Smelled wood, roses, and raspberries. Taste started off with a meaty flavor, followed by plum, vanilla, a bit of cherry, and hints of licorice. Very good! :cool:

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Finally got by that local winery that I always pass on way to sisters studio. Went to their winery tour and then tasting. Wine was VERY good. Was particularly fond of their Marechal Foch reserve. Was first time I'd ever had wine made from this varietal, was VERY good. Going to get some for my mom for her birthday I think. Also turns out that owners daughter (who still helps out at winery some, particularly when they do catered hors deuvers for special events) is head chef for a very popular little italian place in area, which appropriately enough for this forum, is called Mambo Italiano. Also happens that she came in for a few demo lessons at the studio, and took them with my friend who teaches there. Youngest sister was a little upset when the daughter came in for a lesson, as her name is first name of middle sister, and last name that youngest sister uses for performing (singing, dance, etc). So was strange coincidence.

Always fun all the strange connection you can come across in one simple setting. And all comes back to dance, of course, as my life always does.

9. DancePoet

Had an interesting chardonnay this past weekend, 2005 La Crema. Started out with flavors of apple and lemon, but as time went by got butter, hints of cheese and pear, followed by tangerine and flowers. :cool:

10. Rugby

Rugby Member

I seem to get a lot of wine given to me by friends. Perhaps they think becoming a wineo would be an improvement for me. I do like Rose wine and Dandelion wine.

11. DancePoet

Well ... if you aren't interested in drinking all that wine your friends are giving you, and as long as the wines that are being given aren't the one's typically found in supermarkets, then feel free to send them my way. :cool:

12. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I'm usually a white wine person, but have been trying to get into red. I love the wine, Fourplay (a mix of four different Italian red wines). I just bought a 2004 vintage and it's quite delicious.

13. DancePoet

Haven't tried this. I'll see if I can find it.

In the meantime, for the white wine drinkers ... I recommend picking up a bottle of Kendall-Jackson 2005 Chardonnay Jackson Estate Grown. This is one of their basic, easily found wines that I don't usually have, and yet this was surprisingly very good at a low price point. Lot's of pineapple with hints of papaya, mango, apple, and not overly oaked. Actually had mine with popcorn and pumpkin bread. Didn't clash with the first, complimented the second. :D

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Jeez, Fourplay sounds like a blended scotch.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I'm still sticking with menage a trois...a threesome...a real wine ...yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyum

16. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yum I love Kendall-Jackson, especially the sauvignon blanc.

That's a good one too, mmmm

Has anyone tried the Coppola wines? I tried the Black Label Claret, it's a Cabernet, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec blend (had to look it up) Good stuff though.

I found this Director's Cut wine on the Coppola site and like the label!

[​IMG]

17. DancePoet

I believe I had Coppola's Black Label Claret once, but quite aways back. The vintage I had wasn't anything memorable.

I've seen the "Director's Cut" label on both a red and a white, but haven't tried it yet. Nice label. :cool:

18. DancePoet

Currently enjoying a bottle of Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc * Viognier 2006 with the SO this fine Saturday afternoon, while we cook, bake, watch cooking shows, and munch on chicken sausage cooked in onions, red and green peppers and a little bit of garlic. :D

The wine initially had flavors of lemon and honey with hints of apple, yet it seems to have coalesced a bit as time has gone by and it is now taking on the taste of peach, pear, melon, and floral notes, too.

:bouncy:

19. DancePoet

Had another very good bottle of "Pillar Box Red" 2005. Wenmt well with Cajun seasoned pork, buttered potatoes, and lima beans.

Had a bit of chocolate fudge for desert, not bad with this either. :D

Highly recommmended. :cool: :cheers:

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2005.