Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ahhh, the good old Wine Advisor newsletter, specifically their cheap wine one. :) I get that in my email, I was planning on posting that info here but you beat me to it. I knew I liked you for a reason. So what're you doing around the middle of July? ;)

2. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yep yep wine advisor, it's right on my iGoogle homepage. July? Dance? Count me in, just say when and where! :p:rolleyes:

I'll actually be around your neck of the woods this weekend, going to my first country club.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Very cool.

Actually, it's not best venue, but Chevy Chase Country Club down here has live band and ballroom dancing on the first wednesday of every month.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lol. I actually have an empty bottle of that which I've saved for quasi-sentimental reasons (also just because I like the label and the theme of it). :)

Not a fan of Malbec, though. Granted, I don't really care for wine in general, but Malbec always tastes like sweaty socks to me. (Or how sweaty socks smell, more accurately, since I've never tasted them. Isn't it odd how some things can taste the way something else smells?)

5. lcdancesport

Well they do say our sense of smell contributes largely to how things taste. There are certain foods though that do smell like something totally unappetizing, brusselsprouts smell like sweat to me, ick. I know some people can't eat certain things after they've had a bad experience with it. Probably like those who drink too much, one whiff of that drink and they're already feeling queezy.

Now I see why McDonalds adds "smoke" flavor to their burgers, mmm mm good, right off the grill! Bleh.

6. lcdancesport

That sounds fun, we're going to one in Waukegan, I forget the name though, but it'll have a live band. Hopefully they'll play something I can swing to!

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

w ww.romancewines.com

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

9. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Interesting ... any ideas on where I can find a bottle of this to try :?:

10. DancePoet

This sounds like it doesn't bode well for me buying a bottle, and yet I can't say have ever tasted such in a Malbec previously.

11. DancePoet

Shared a Kenwood 2006 Sauvignon Blanc this evening. Tasted of honey dew melons and pears, with hints of grass, bananas, and lemon. First had this about a week back at an AT V-Day party. This time with honey curry chicken, rice, and peas. :cool:

12. Laura

Laura New Member

Having a glass of Artesa Pinot Noir right now. The bottle was opened Saturday night at a party and it still tastes good. Lots of cherry flavors.

13. lcdancesport

I think I'll pick up a bottle of something this weekend, it has been a while. I did enjoy something very expensive a bit ago, but I forgot the name... something with cake in the title and it's from California?

14. Laura

Laura New Member

You probably mean Cakebread.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good producer.

16. lcdancesport

Cakebread, I think that's it! A guy that bought it for me said he's been to the vineyard and just loves that stuff.

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I pretty much like all California wine except for the stuff that comes in the gallon jug (Gallo jug chablis!) or fridge box (Franzia...oy vey).

18. DancePoet

Friday night ... Costano 2004 Solanera (65% Monastrell, 20% Cab Sauv, 15% Tintorera) with bourbon pork and ziti with garlic and tomato sauce

Saturday night ... Concannon 2004 Petite Sirah with lamb, wild rice, broccoli

Sunday night ... Sobon Estate 2004 Zinfandel with spagetti and sauce

:cool: :cool: :cool:

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Had much wine on my trip home, well, much compared to none while I was here. :)

First flight - 2 glasses of current (2005 I think?) Pepperwood Grove California Syrah. Typical new world wine, high alcohol, fruit forward. Not my favorite, but sure nice to drink again.

Second flight Red Wine - a 2006 Red Bordeaux. Sadly, I missed the winery, as I loved this stuff. GOod mouthfeel, good tannings, complex, only 13.5% alcohol, extremely tasty.

Second flight White wine - again, missed label. THis one was a 2006 Chardonnay from California. Was surprisingly good, and very un-California. Near as I could tell, NO oak or malolactic fermentation. Was just a very crisp, bright, pure chradonnay taste. Loved it, and went great with the fish pie served for dinner.

Tuesday - Opened a bottle of Ditka's Merlot. A lovely red from california, smooth, pretty well balanced, good tannins. Not wise to have two glasses when I hadn't eaten for 11 hours or so though. :)

Wednesday - Finished the Ditkas

Saturday - Several wines tonight. Twin Fin Merlot, was cheap, and reason for it, disappointing. Had an interesting French wine made with a grape I'd neve rhad before, Tannat. Tannat Merlot blend, was a little balnd, but an interesting taste. I love trying new grapes I've never had before. Then had some unknown California Cabernet. Pretty good, nothing to write home about.

Sunday - Quick sips of a Cabernet I had made from a kit and a grapefruit I made from canned fruit 2+ years ago. The Cabernet, not surprisingly, had not aged well, but it wasn't meant to age that long. Worked well for cooking. The Grapefruit was alright, but rather bland.

Sunday Dinner - Before dinner, had a glass of a Cranberry mead made by a Chicago Meadery. Was nice, off-dry, but a pleasant sipping wine cold as an apertif. With dinner (sirloin in a port/cabernet mushroom reduction with baked mini yukon gold potatos on spinach, which was lovely), had a Coppola Ivory Label Cabernet. Very niice, though not amazing.

I definitely miss wine over here. :)

20. Easy

Easy Active Member

Me loves a nice Sangiovese or a nice Nero D'Avola