Women asking men to dance.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I like being asked to dance, including if someone that I know likes dancing with me whenever, for instance, Mambo songs come on...

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

A recent experience at a ballroom social:

Woman: Next song is tango. You'll dance it with me.
    Me: Yes, Ma'am!

3. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

My recent experience:

Woman: I have been expecting you to ask me to dance.
    Me: (said while holding my hand out) So, would you like to dance?
    Woman: Yes!

4. Dots

Dots Active Member

My recent experience :

*DJ announces the next song: a salsa*

*Woman runs skips / runs, stops right in front of me and looks up with puppy dog eyes and a hopeful / mischievous smile.*

Me: "Let me guess; you would like to dance a salsa?"

Her: "Yes!"

*Extend my hand.*

Not very subtle, but in my case, a non-subtle approach works and is appreciated ;)

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

This is generally my approach. I'm a little shy and hesitant to ask guys I don't know to dance a song with me. I'm more willing to ask the guys on my level/my age that I'm friends with just straight out for a dance. The older/better guys I usually do the puppy dog approach. If there's a guy at a social that hasn't asked me to dance though and it's already pretty far in and I really want to dance with him, I might go ask him if I can work up the courage.

6. mindputtee

I sometimes do this, but only to my very good friends. It's more of a joking command than a "you will dance it with me or I will be very angry."

7. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

When I used to dance a lot of salsa, a couple of ladies I used to dance with regularly would come right up as a song was ending and say "My turn!"

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm....one lady told me that she expected to be asked as a lady and didn't do the asking. Then three songs later she went up and asked a guy....

I don't mind ladies asking me, but if you ask me and I don't like the song you are not going to get what I consider a great dance. You may think it is, but then if you do you don't know what those are like with me.

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

In my case, I'd never seen her before. :)

10. mindputtee

Now that's a little forward! Haha

11. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

That's so nice! Made me smile when I read it! :D

12. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Sweet! +1

13. davedove

davedove Active Member

You know, I love it when women ask me to dance, except for one circumstance. It seems that often after I have been dancing for a few songs and am sitting there trying to cool down enough for the sweat to quit dripping, that is when one will come up just begging to do a swing or cha cha. I wouldn't mind so much if it were a waltz, rumba, or the like, but it's almost always a fast one.

Oddly enough, they often use a comment like "I know you like to swing." First of all, where do they get that? I will do the faster dances and even enjoy them, but they are certainly not my favorites. I like the slower, more romantic dances (I'm just that kind of guy:cool:). In fact, it's very seldom I ever ask someone to swing.

Ladies, I love you, I love to dance with you, and I hate to turn you down, but sometimes I need a break:doh:.

14. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Haha that above post reminded me of some friends... Over the summer I was turned down for that reason a lot, but I've noticed a lot of salsa dancers totally comfortable being hot and sweaty and still dancing. People seem to like it.

But as far as women asking men to dance, if I never asked a guy I'd never dance. Though its interesting. One night recently I had a bug up my butt and decided to see what would happen if I sat at a table facing the dance floor and waited to be approached. I wasn't. Mind you this is a year in to going to the same places, they all know I can dance, trust me.
    Fast forward a month. I come out with a date. I sit behind a table, hand in hand with a date, and men go out of their way to ask me (and my date's permission) for a dance.
    What's the thought process here, guys, I'm really curious. :)

15. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Same logic whereby when I couldn't get a date when I was single, I practically had to beat them off when I was in a committed relationship.

16. Sagitta

pheromones?

17. Sagitta

The grass is always greener on the other side of the river. If you are with a date there is a validation that there is something desirable about you so you get asked?

I always ask everyone and in fact may not ask when I notice a regular is on a date so the situation is the opposite for me.

18. wonderwoman

There were a couple that didn't ask, and they normally ask and flirt it up ;)

I think I need to get over myself *blush*. But I sort of wish I would walk in to a dance club and get overwhelmed with requests due to being an outstanding dancer

19. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I tried an experiment like this once with a woman. She complained about nobody asking her to dance. So I had her sit next to me and have casual conversations. The guys swarmed down on her and she never got off the floor again.

20. wonderwoman

ooooh thanks for posting this... I will test this theory next time, hang with a random guy and see what happens! nice!