Women asking men to dance.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Jhennn

Jhennn New Member

Hi Everyone.
    I totally understand what's happening here coz it's almost always the case here in Bangkok. We, women, are often outnumbered that if we don't take the prerogative of asking a guy for a dance, we would end up just sitting there the whole night. With this said, I don't mind asking any guy for a dance and it has become the social way here now. :)

2. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Sigh,... Wish it was the case in S.E England. We have a shortage of women dancers at my Dance School. Yep, that's right. Too many men! Wish I lived in America.
    Chris

3. tancos

tancos Active Member

It depends on where you are in America Chris. Where I live most of the jobs are high tech and heavily weighted towards men, so we often have too few women as well.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i read the men were heavily weighted so there were no women....:eek:

MORE COFFEE:confused:

twnkltoz likes this.
  5. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Yeah, avoid the tech-heavy areas of America. Way more men than women. However, if you're really good, it doesn't matter how many men are standing around, the ladies will compete with each other to get to you.

6. Mr 4 styles

i hear ya bruddah.....

7. kckc

kckc Active Member

good thing I wasn't drinking coffee or someone would owe me a keyboard :)

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I don't understand. I was dancing in Silicon Valley at the height of the dot-com boom, and I never had an issue finding ladies to dance. Then, with the bust, all the fortune seeking young men went away, and life was really good for men in dance. I've always lived in tech-heavy areas, and the worst it gets, from the man's perspective is parity.

9. leee

leee Active Member

I unno, everywhere I've gone so far in the Bay Area (not that I've sampled far and wide) has been what's more colloquially known as a celebration of ground meat encased in a skin of who-really-wants-to-know.

Edited to add: Of course, this observation may reflect some cognitive fallacies, since if I really think about the matter, the studio that I most frequent normally has more women, though again, even here, men outnumbering the women isn't altogether rare.

10. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Umm... I don't understand what that means ?

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

They're suggesting that there were a preponderance of men at the venues they've gone to in the San Fransisco Bay area. Don't feel bad, it took me a second to work my way though that myself, and the idiom it was referring to may well be an American-ism.

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry leee, I´m German and not that familiar with your language. So what do you actually mean by ground meat? Guys or girls? Around here (Germany) you can hear the use of fresh meat for girls sometimes. And if you mean guys, what should be the alternative of ground meat, flank steaks, by chance?

13. Mr 4 styles

allow me to translate for the euros.. since im so dope like dat yo

he means a sausage fest... a derogatory term used to describe a gathering predominated by men.. when the men want more women to be there
    example
    " dude this party blows"
    " yeah bro its a sausage fest"

twnkltoz likes this.
  14. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I suppose things may have changed in the last decade. I danced regularly at what was then the Starlight Ballroom, and the Cubberly Pavilion, also stopping by Buddy Ayers' dances at the Sunnyvale Community Center, and various Salsa events. If I had an issue finding dance partners, I probably would have stopped dancing.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The Cubberly Pavilion! I was there last winter. The ratio was about even.

16. leee

leee Active Member

I see that Mr 4 thinks like I do, dunno if that counts as a stain on his reputation.

But he's right, and my apologies to everyone, I probably should not have used such a slant term, but I did mean that men outnumbered women in the places I have frequented with worrisome regularity.

17. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Sorry, I see it now. "Ground meat in a skin" = Sausage = Penis = Man!
    (Can I say that? Look out, there's a Moderator coming!)

So what is a lot of women at a Dance?
    When I was a teenager we used to refer to the habit of girls dancing in a group around their handbags. If there were a lot of girls at a Nightclub it would translate to a "Bag Shop", or a "Conveyer", referring to the thing you find in airport terminals to deliver the luggage after a flight.
    I seem to remember "Excess Baggage" creeping in to those conversations, but I don't remember the exact context and I don't think it was very polite either.
    Girls, before you destroy me with a barrage of withering comments, these are phrases from a mis-spent youth, as a young sailor, frequenting every Nightclub in Europe.

Umm.. Dance Halls seem to attract a much classier type of Lady.
    (Oh dear, I'm going to regret this post, I can feel it. Oh well, to part-quote a famous phrase...
    ".... It's only the depth that varies!" )

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nah...you're too new and sweet to torment...but, that won't last forever :)

19. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Fas, I think I'm falling in love with you, and we haven't even met!
    Could we be soulmates? Or is it just a physical thing? xxx

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...given that we are oceans apart, I doubt it's physical :p.....