"Women Have No Choice But to do the Right Thing"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Generalist, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I know exactly the type Generalist is speaking of. The Northeast dance scene is flooded with them. Probably because the northeast dance scene is flooded, in general, we tend to get more of every type..

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

A bit of role reversal here, but I (a follower) was flummoxed to be asked to dance a Quickstep by a newbie leader. He didn't know it at all. He expected me to teach him on the fly. Uh.... no. WAY too dangerous. It was a large crowded floor.

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It really annoys me when someone asks me to teach them in the middle of a social dance. Very presumptuous. Now if I ask them to dance and they don't know the dance playing and I offer, that's different. Depending on the dance, I might show them a basic or two, especially if I know they're new and I want to encourage them. Otherwise I might ask what they do know and suggest we dance the next one.

4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

As befits a true gentleman.

flightco likes this.
  5. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

This happened to one of my students- another student saw them dancing swing and were impressed. A samba came on after, and she asked them to dance it. She seemed mildly offended that he didn't know it. He'd been dancing a month. We weren't to samba yet. Everybody got over it- nobody had to write epic tomes about their plight of suffering online, but we're still not at samba yet. Maybe in the next couple of months.

twnkltoz likes this.
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I answer, if they ask: "You're leading." I've had leaders ask me, "Standard or Smooth?" I've had leaders tell me, "I really don't know much about this style." I've had leaders ask me to dance, saying they're practicing what they just learned in class. I've had leaders (mistakenly) assume I know a lot about Standard or Latin. I've had reluctant leaders, who act like I'm debasing their purity, when I ask them to dance, who act standoffish, but turn out great. Last time I had a reluctant leader at a social -- yes, I asked him to dance -- he said, "I don't do American," and I answered, as I always do, "You're leading." He turned out to be the clearest leader, with the most comprehensible body language, I'd *ever* had at a social. I haven't seen him since. My loss.

7. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I always like the ones who are telling someone they're doing it wrong, except when asked "Oh- well... could you show me how to do it?" they can't. This is why I say if one role is going to gripe perpetually about the other, they should "be quiet" and learn both roles, then they can bring it, unwrap it, cut a slice off of it, and serve it with a "your mom".

And I'm pretty sure that's an origin story right there.

And I really miss my Detroit Prince Charming, too. I got to dance with him ONE time, was smitten with his mad skillz, and then he up and never comes to town again. It's very rare to find one of those guys at a social, especially in my neck of the woods.

vulgar language removed

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    IndyLady likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well I hope he's headed my way b/c dh is out of town this friday and I am toying, probably foolishly, with the notion of going social dancing

9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I hear you fasc. My instructor is on vacation for 3 weeks, so no lessons, no parties. My girlfriend and I, who is also a student, were thinking of finding a dance to try at another studio, etc. She is single, my husband doesn't dance, and so the only 2 men we could think of that might go with us were two guys that had a crush, one on her, one on me. We decided we would just go out for cocktails instead. Oh to have a plethora of men who enjoyed dancing around here.

10. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

So why don't you and your girlfriend just go stag to this other studio? Sure, it may take some time to break the ice there, particularly if you and your girlfriend spend the evening engaged in intense conversations. But maybe you'll find some other men to dance with.

Sania and danceronice like this.
  11. flightco

flightco Active Member

Go to Kansas City and Snapdancer will make sure you have someone to dance with.

12. flightco

flightco Active Member

Not sure where you are thinking of for a party, I don't know of any on the South Side except FA and that only lasts about an hour and 15 minutes.

If you don't mind driving a bit, May I Have This Dance on Foster and Elston (just a couple blocks off the 90/94 interchange) has TGIF this Friday a lot of what you like but does have WCS mixed in (not sure if that is one of your dances or not). It goes on until midnight or later depending on interest. If it was the 2nd or 4th Friday they have Strictly Ballroom which, I believe, would be right up your alley.

I will be in Orlando or would offer to meet up with you.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if I am going alone I tend to stick to NW Indiana, where I live...I didn't go...but thanks

14. flightco

flightco Active Member

My mistake; I didn't check the date of your message and thought you were talking about next Friday.

15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Agree. I was thinking this is what we would do, but my friend was intimidated about going without having at least a few guaranteed dances, and she's not the asking type. I was more of the mindset that it would surely be nearly impossible to sit out every single dance if our interest and body language was conducive to being asked, and even if that is how it turned out, the wine is cheaper at the dance party so no big loss :).