Work dress code question for the ladies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

Hello, ladies, here's a question for you gals: what do you usually wear to work??

I've never given it much thought until today. Our office is somewhat relaxed in the sense that eventhough our dress code policy strictly says business casual, as long as we aren't way out of line, it's acceptable. Lately, i find my direct superior has been dressing more and more....how should i put it?? Exotic?? She has gone from totally conservative (ie, long sleeved dress shirt) to tops you will only see in clubs (low cut, open back). I feel a bit uncomfortable for ladies in a business environment (esp when you're seeing a lot of client) to wear something so....non-traditional? Just the other day I was meeting with a consultant who wore something with an extremely low neckline and when she sat down, she was basically giving everyone in the room a great view of her cleavage.

Now back to my reason for this question. I was talking to my boss this morning in her office. She was sitting down, I was standing in front of her. Again, she was wearing something very low cut so you guys can imagine what i'm seeing. It's rather weird because our office has a/c blasting 24x7 and she has a personal heater in her office that's forever turned on b/c she felt the room was too cold??!!! O.K., I admit, i'm a fanatic when it comes to the environment and it kind of annoys me to see unnecessary waste of electricity. But either way, if the company isn't complaining, i don't have the right too either.

So what i'm really curious to know is, what do you ladies usually wear to work (esp those who have a desk job), maybe i'm just being a total prude, but i'm interested to know what the rest of the world thinks.

Thanks. :wink:
  2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

When I worked as a receptionist and later as preschool teacher, I had to wear "office casual" as a bare minimum. No jeans except on Fridays, no tshirts except the company tshirt on morale days, real shoes (no flip flops). As a teacher I had the extra regulation of having to wear skirts or dresses.

Since the company I worked for as a recep had a major contact with Sony Japan, we had to be extra professional - no suits daily, but I needed to keep a blazer or jacket on standby (just in case). I usually wore slacks and a nice button up blouse or a mid-long skirt with same.

Add to that that I was teaching dance at the same time, and i had to be professionally dressed about 18 hours out of every 24. UGH!
  3. africana

africana New Member

Let's just say i dress the EXACT OPPOSITE as I would in a salsa club. Non of my co workers would ever recognize me at a club, and non of my salsa friends would recognize me at work 8)

same thing with makeup, hair, etc. I don't mix biz with pleasure
  4. Medira

Medira New Member

I work in a business casual environment so I'm usually wearing dress pants or a skirt (never anything shorter than slightly above knee-length, and even then that's rare) and a nice top. I may wear a company or vendor polo shirt, but that's also extremely rare. Like DM, I keep a suit jacket handy in case of a last minute meeting. On Fridays, I'm a bit more relaxed...it's rare that I wear jeans though.
  5. lynn

lynn New Member

We've got casual friday so i can get away with wearing jeans once a week. But for the remainder of the week, i'm stuck wearing dress pants and shirts - now, b/c i do a lot of running around, i usually wear runners, a bizarre combination to go w/ black dress pants, yes, i know.
  6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

We are a new and still relatively small company so we don't really have dress code. I have to be physically at the client site 1 afternoon per week, so then i make sure to wear something business casual. Fridays are jeans day, pretty regularly.
    In previous jobs, i have had to wear upper business class outfits, although that was mostly at financial institutions.
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I work in a very small office (boss and me!). I dress nicely (skirt/top/sometimes suit) when he's there. When he's not, usually comfortable pants, but never blue jeans, and a casual top. Boston is very, very conservative. You really don't see many women with low-cut tops or short, short skirts in offices (although there are some). I used to get such a kick out of watching Ally McBeal because NO way do female lawyers dress the way they did on that show. But, sex sells, I reckon'.

On the subject of wardrobe; I always try to have at least 1-2 suits/interview type outfits for each season, plus some basic skirts/tops, which I always, always, always buy on sale (or Marshall's). It is very hard to have business attire, casual going-out wear PLUS dancewear in my closet. So, I tighten the purse strings with business attire as much as possible.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe your supervisor and the client you mentioned dressed that way to confuse any men they were dealing with and cut a better deal for themselves...
  9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I usually wear business casual, friday I will dress down a bit, but I don't wear jeans, don't like jeans... Sometimes wear a suit, but usually business casual is enough in my office
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Business casual.
  11. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Same here ---

But to show my age, I remember when slacks were NOT ALLOWED at the office (early 70s). Then one day the word spread that the telephone company (there was only one back then) was allowing their women employees to wear pant suits. Then the big insurance comany in our town passed the new rule allowing slacks with matching tops (suits), finally my company relaxed its dress code and we all celebrated by going shopping for new clothes.
  12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I remember those days. :) And I was a mere embryo, lol. Seriously, I remember it was a MAJOR no-no for women to wear slacks at anything more formal than grubbing in the garden. ;) And church? Beelzebub's Ski Resort would've been under construction first. I don't think I wore pants to church until I was..... Ummmmmm in my late 20s (almost 30).
  13. lynn

lynn New Member

So....what did the ladies dress like before slacks were allowed?? Full length skirt everyday??
  14. Katarzyna

I read an old fashon textbook that was describing a huge debate over whether ladies should be allowed to show their ankles...
  15. lynn

lynn New Member

Wouldn't that be difficult if you have to climb the stairs?? I gave up on full length skirts because I used to trip over them all the time.....
  16. lynn

lynn New Member

If that's the case, then i guess she definately gets reimbursed for her wardrobe expense :shock: !
  17. Katarzyna

A lady will pick up her skirt as she ascends the stairs.. :lol:
  18. lynn

lynn New Member

what if her hands are full of paperwork/binders/folders/coffee tray??
  19. Katarzyna

A lady knows how to get a man to carry her stuff :)
  20. lynn

lynn New Member

Looks like we've got an office of un-gentlemanly staff!