Work dress code question for the ladies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Agreed. I've experienced this personally and seen it in action with other women. :?

I also think that organizational climate has a heck of a lot to do with your perspective on this one. Some organizations foster a climate in which disrespecting individuals is okay. Other organizations don't allow that kind of behavior. So an individual's experience might be very different, depending on their background and where they work, IMO. 8) :)

2. africana

africana New Member

it hasn't changed all that much but I'm living alright :? 8)
    good observations. It's basically adapting to the culture around you, for me it's been more of just being "one of the guys" to the extent that it gets the job done

3. pygmalion

I think things are changing. There's a lot of interesting business literature out there (especially some stuff written in the past five years or so) that talks about the strengths of "feminine" leadership, and how leaders of both genders can benefit by embracing some stereotypically feminine leadership traits. 8)

Cool stuff, IMO. :D

4. lynn

lynn New Member

Very true, it wouldn't hurt for a male manager to be a little attentative and sensitive - one cool trait of feminine leadership!

5. pygmalion

Changing in terms of the number of women in traditionally male roles. IIRC, the proportion of engineering degrees being awarded to women has increased fairly dramatically over the past several decades. That's the kind of change I'm talking about. 8)

6. africana

africana New Member

Also thing to consider is that not all women have the same inclination for what is deemed 'feminine'

For example I grew up the eldest of 3, two younger male sibling, and I was very much in charge of them :twisted: so obviously that personality is gonna come out in any leadership positions I take. I also happen to be quite driven (when I decide I want something ;) ). Now some other women look at that and go "oh she's so guyish, so manly" and some men will assume "oh she must be a b----" because they decide to put men/women in their stereotypical places even in the professional setting regardless of background or personalities

humph, I refuse to bat my lashes :roll:

7. pygmalion

Agreed. 8) That's why I keep using the terms steroetypical and traditional, not just feminine. Feminine is not a monolithic concept, IMO. We all have our own way of doing things. Works for me. 8)

8. lynn

lynn New Member

I doubt you'll come across as "guyish" if that's what's natural to you. Often when I see people who are considered "manly" are those who pretend to be something they're not.

As for batting the eyelash, i don't want to be accused of sucking up to the boss or engaging in an affair, so no batting lashes for me either.

9. africana

africana New Member

I think it shouldn't matter if it's natural to them or not as along as they get the job done right. If they feel forced to assume certain qualities do that then I say look at the situation holistically instead of damning her for adapting

I never heard of a male manager being accused of not "being himself", even though they may do equivalent things, in order to get people to listen to them

10. lynn

lynn New Member

I actually have, but i don't think i'll elaborate as the situation was really...bizarre.

11. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

I used to work next to a guy in the office about 20+ years ago who wore the same clothes and wouldn't bathe either. Very rarely anyways. People would tease him and tell him right in front of others, to please take a bath and he would just ignore them and continued on. It was so bad, you didn't want to be in the same room (or building) with him.

In the company that I work for now, we have an Exectutive secretary who wore the same blouse and skirt every day for about 5 years! Nobody could understand it, because she lived in an upscale suburb, her husband worked and she made excellent money too. She was always clean and her clothes were clean too. I did hear that she had an abusive husband though, so maybe that had something to do with it. :( I don't see her much anymore but she does seem to wear different clothes now.

12. lynn

lynn New Member

maybe she's like my dad who buys 20 of the same style/colour shirts!

13. africana

africana New Member

so it must have been a really stand out case for people to notice, whereas the women have that held against them quite OFTEN when they exert power? Honestly what's the male equivalent word for "b----"? because it gets used more than enough for women in power, mainly because they have to exercise said power with a little more creativity than their male counterparts

14. pygmalion

Hmm... should I say what I'm thinking and get myself crucified? :roll: I think not. :wink: :lol:

15. africana

africana New Member

lol please go ahead pygmalion! it's all good, we learn new things all teh time

16. lynn

lynn New Member

Actually, the situations where I've ran into where the women were called the b word was just the opposite. It's because they refuse to use the power they were given.

17. africana

africana New Member

:shock: wow! that's new!
    I guess we speak from vastly different experiences then 8)

18. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

I've been at the same (large) corporation for 20 years now and it seems that some of the women have really gotten risque' in the last 5+ years in their choice of work clothes. They're usually in their 20's with great bodies and they really flaunt it. :D :shock: :? I can't deny that they look hot, but wearing skin tight slacks (some with exposed G-strings! :shock: ), spiked heels, tight shirts exposing their tight abs around the office sure makes you wonder what their motives are. Before all the cutbacks in personel, it seemed that every department head was trying to outdo the others on how hot of a lady they could hire. Some of them are very capable, but I have seen some assistants that were hired right out the local watering hole. Of course, there's a few who ended up marrying some high level manager. I personally don't care what others do, but it's a little shocking to see how casual some people have taken the office! :lol:

19. pygmalion

That's a new one, to me, too. *shrug*

One thing I've observed, though, is that the b-word gets thrown around a lot, when people are unhappy with women in positions of power.

And if, like me, you believe that's it's impossible to make everybody happy (let's not even talk about whether pleasing everyone is a good idea :lol: :lol: ) if you're a woman with power, well... You're gonna get called names at some point. *shrug* Comes with the territory. :?

20. africana

africana New Member

Too true