Work dress code question for the ladies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

Obviously, it's never possible to make everyone happy - esp those who stay grumpy 24x7!
  2. africana

africana New Member

who's grumpy 24/7? just curious :raisebro:
  3. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

:lol:

I've never gotten into the name calling BS, but I've seen it or should I say heard plenty of it. I know some guys don't like a woman of authority. I have no problem with it, but it just depends on the person. There are good and bad female bosses, just like men. Some (bosses) with big egos and I think hidden insecurities. It seems that management looks for very aggessive people these days who rule with an iron fist and they like to play this role. In the old days :lol: , it seemed that the bosses were team leaders and would coach & protect their people. Now, they're thankless and just looking out for themselves and want to try to find someone to blame for anything! :lol:
  4. lynn

lynn New Member

Oh, we used to have a manager in our office who was never in the "right mood" or it's always the "wrong time" when we need to talk to him. Stepping into his office felt a little like going into the dragon's lair.....

Our network admin person (i hope he hasn't installed spyware on my computer) is like that too....talking to him is like a challenge to see how loud i can yell.....
  5. lynn

lynn New Member

really?? I thought it's the other way around that nowadays they hire people with more soft skills and don't rule like a dictatorship!
  6. africana

africana New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    have you tried wearing a mini-skirt ??:p :lol:
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

That reminds me, i used to have a really moody boss - i bet his mood changes faster than the weather in vancouver!! I remember one day he came into the office & just slammed on the door and started yelling at us....it turned out he had a fight with his wife..... Temperamental bosses should be the #1 "things to avoid" in a work place!
  8. lynn

lynn New Member

I'm ashamed to admit it, but i did. And believe it or not, it worked, he was nicer for that one day! But i refuse to stoop that low. I'd rather stick to yelling....call me crazy....
  9. GalacticDancer44M

I have a manager like that in my office too. He's extremely talented and bright, but has a chemical imbalance and is on lot's of medications. He even mentioned Prozac, to try and keep him cheered up! He's screamed at Directors above him and just about everyone else at one time or another. He recently separated from his wife too (we used to have to listen to him screaming to her over the phone!). Now he works about 16 hours a day (6 or 7 days a week) well, come to think of it, he always has! In fact, one of the co-workers had to walk him out of the office today when he unleashed on some unsuspecting new guy from an outside supplier. He loses his temper so easily, that he's been advised to walk away for a bit. He's a manager, but could have easily been promoted to a director if it wasn't for his people skills.
  10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What I think is that a lot of men benefit from their (stereotypical) gender role in the workplace. Meanwhile, a lot of men are hurt or constrained by it. Much the same as women, IMO. *shrug*

Think not? Take a look at the stats of men who take family leave versus women who take family leave and the online articles of Mr. Moms trying to reenter the workforce. :?
  11. GalacticDancer44M

Yeah, they did move out some of the "good ole boys" (dictators) and for awhile preached about "working together" "teamwork" "open door policy...", but when the economy dropped out, there are alot less employees now (to do even larger workloads) and things have gone back to the old dictatorship style again. Everything goes full circle it seems. It probably depends on where you work too. I'm in a highly charged atmosphere. Lots of excitement with impossible budgets and deadlines! :lol: :lol: Somehow, it all comes together in the end!

In fact, I have to head in for a half a day tomorrow (Saturday), but a number of them are staying 10+ hours Saturday and Sunday.
  12. pygmalion

Been there. Seen that first hand, myself. :? Eh. Folks are what they are, I guess. :?
  13. lynn

lynn New Member

Hmm, my current workplace is a little weird. We're totally democratic on the surface but we take a draconian approach underneath. We have an open door policy where everything can be discussed, except the management makes the decision, actually, the president makes the decision. I remember a while back we wanted to buy a bell for our new office (costing less than $50) but couldn't because the proposal was sitting on the president's office for months! Talk about weird..... and we're a high-tech company, aren't high-tech firms the most flexible of all industries??
  14. GalacticDancer44M

Probably should have sent the request via e-mail! :D
  15. pygmalion

lol. I used to work for a director whom I still like ( and who throws a GREAT wine and cheese party!) a physicist who just can't relate to people. email it. Or send it to his secretary. But just don't tell him.

Wow! I miss that guy. He's a semi-recluse. But he's good people, IMO. :D
  16. GalacticDancer44M

:lol: I used to have a boss who told everyone that he'll only communicate with you electronically. Kind of like the man behind the curtain; ala, the Wizard of Oz!

pymalion, maybe you should have invited him out to a salsa dance to loosen him up alittle! :lol: :lol:

I'm becoming a semi-recluse too! I'm trying to decide if I should go out dancing tonight. I'm alittle on the tired side and have to work in the morning, so I might just go out to listen to a band and do some freestyle. Don't have to think so much about all the moves. :D
  17. lynn

lynn New Member

I wish, except he gets 200+ emails per day, I wouldn't want my email to get lost in the black hole!
  18. lynn

lynn New Member

Heck, we even have internal MSN Messenger, and we've got less than 15 ppl in the office!! It takes less than 30 seconds to walk from one end of the office to the other!! And to think, during our last company communication, we all agree what the biggest problem our company is facing: POOR INTERNAL COMMUNICATION :shock: :lol: !........
  19. GalacticDancer44M

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess it only takes a minimum of 2 people to have poor communication. We have over 13,000 people in our building! I don't even know half of the people in my department!
  20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I know.. Funny. I often find myself e-maling to ask a question the person next to me... I just feel that I don't interrupt them and they can answer whenever is most convenient for them .