Work dress code question for the ladies

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

:shock: :shock:

O.K., so it's not just our company that does this. My next door neighbour, rather than take 2 steps to walk over to my office, would rather pick up the phone and call me! Talk about lack of exercise!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

But it's easier to give people the opportunity to respond when they have time rather than interrupting something

4. pygmalion

Yep. Coworkers are one of the most frequent interruptions in the workday (where did I read that? One of my time management books that I've since thrown away no doubt :roll: :lol: )

5. Katarzyna

I feel that i have tough time to focus at work when people constantly come and ask questions, I try to let them respond when they have time. Also, I constantly get e-mails etc. I feel like I work on 10 different things at the same time... one of them being DF but that has to stop..

6. pygmalion

I prefer to be able to handle non-emergency questions at a specific time, as well -- as in answering all my emails or phone messages at once, rather than handling other people's issues and questions whenever they arise. People popping in often means I get a lot less done.

Of course, everybody has their preferred style of communication. email feels really impersonal to some people. :?

7. Katarzyna

I love e-mail..

8. lynn

lynn New Member

The problem with email is that we get so many emails a day sometimes we just forget the less urgent ones.

9. pygmalion

I do too. A thirty second work-related question/answer takes only thirty seconds. A question that requires research before you answer can be researched before you have to answer. And you have a written record of what was really said, versus what different people remember.

email rocks, in a business context, IMO. :notworth:

And even in a personal context, I like it too. 8) :D

10. pygmalion

That's the whole idea. :roll: :lol: Just kidding.

But you can prioritize the less urgent ones and handle them after the truly important issues. If you have people walking into your office (or cube! :?) all day long, whoever's in your face becomes urgent, even if what they're asking for is the lowest priority. They're managing your schedule, rather than you being in control of it. (My view. Not necessarily the right view. 8) )

11. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Yes, Pyg, i agree with your view on e-mail. I'll add, when people really take the time to write down what they want from you, you tend to get better instructions / messages / questions from them as well, at least i have found that to be true. Since they are putting their thoughts on paper and it is available for reference later, they have to make a decent attempt.

E-mail is also very convenient is you have to/ want to communicate with people on the other side of the world due to time difference.

12. pygmalion

I agree. I've had very effective communication with colleagues in both Europe and Asia via email. Teleconferences/video conferences? Eh. Not so good. Even when the technology works, the scheduling can be so difficult. :x

13. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

If you've ever been in a situation where you've seen someone else blithely take the credit for something you'd worked very hard on, you'd love email even more.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup. If it is written down then they cannot! :)

15. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Batting lashes in only good for getting a guy. 8) That and fuzzy pink sweaters. But work? Heck no.

Have I got stories I could tell... But I've got 4 days of posting to catch up on....

16. DancingMommy

I had a network admin like that. Only his specialty was asking me if I was pregnant or um.. you know.... :twisted: Blood boiling just thinking of that yutz. I nearly got him fired for that foolishness. Heh. ye shall no better than to try to harass me my friend. Oh yes. I know my way around the employee handbook AND HR rules/regs. Harumph.

17. DancingMommy

Are you SURE you don't work for my husband's company? If you know what the term "Simonized" is, you probably do..... ROFLOL!

18. pygmalion

And, if the guy happens to be your boss or your boss's boss, all the better. :twisted: :wink: :lol:

19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I don't have a fuzzy pink sweater.
    Oh my. :shock: I've suddenly developed a craving for a fuzzy pink sweater. Okay, so it won't be shocking pink or fuschia (pastel pink is more like it) but still, it's fuzzy and pink. And I can wear it with black... everything!
    Demons have taken over my body. Shopaholic demons.

Twilight Elena

P.s. On topic: I don't work. I'm a student. 'Tis liberating sometimes. :lol:

20. lynn

lynn New Member

I don't have a fuzzy pink sweater either! But i've got plenty of other pink stuff.....