World championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Feb 10, 2013.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

In DanceBeat current issue, there is an ad that Embassy Ballroom Championships are now hosting the World Professional and World ProAm championships. Are these the same championships that were hosted by Ohio Star Ball or is this something entirely different?
  2. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The Pro events have been billed as World Cup Open Professional events in the past -- are they dropping the Cup part?
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

On the Embassy website it says World Cup, but in their ad it says...." Breaking news.... we are very excited to announce that the 2013 Embassy Ballroom Championships will host numerous World Title Events". The ad then goes on to list the world Professional and ProAm titles.
  4. I believe this is something different entirely, the Ohio Star Ball never hosted a WDC world championship in Latin or Ballroom
  5. The WDC only grants one World Championship title each year in Latin and Ballroom, the world cup is something different, currently the professional world championship title in latin is being hosted by the Embassy Ball...this will be for 2013 only

Go to WDCdance [dot] com and look at WDC Championships and it shows that on 8/30/13 (professional Latin qualification event) and 9/1/13 Professional Latin Championship are being held in the USA in Irvine, California (i.e. being held in Irvine, CA and during the Embassy ball)

It is very interesting to note that the WDC website showed a championship site (i.e. being held in a different country) in Latin in 2013 in a different location than the United States, but sometime early last year (I believe it was early to mid 2012), the site was changed to show the world Latin Championship being held in Irvine, CA during the time frame for the Embassy Ball (but, it wasn't originally listed to be held in the US)

Also, it is interesting to note that the WDC world championship South American showdance is being held at the Millennium in Tampa, FL. this year in 2013....the World Championship South American showdance is being held in Tampa on 6/21/13 as per the WDC Championship listings

also of note....
    World Championship Ballroom championship is being listed as in Irvine, CA in 2015 on 9/4/2015, Qualification event and 9/6/2015 for WDC Ballroom World Championship

Other Championships (also Professional):
    WDC World Ballroom Championship is being held in Moscow, Russia on 4/20/13
    WDC World Latin Championship is being held in Kiev, Ukraine for 2014 (12/14/2014)
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The World Championships, that were previously held at the Ohio Star Ball, are now going to be held at Embassy.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

So mamboamericano is referring to something else in his/her posting?
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm poor and low level enough that it was already somewhat moot for me, but it seems a bit unfortunate to me to have the World Championships and the National Championships in back to back weeks (and on opposite sides of the country). I would never, ever be able to do both Embassy and USDC in the same year.
  9. I was thinking exactly the same thing - we were hoping to do the Worlds and Nationals but now they're only a week apart and the other side of the US we can't justify both
    It was perfect having them at Ohio - the timing worked and Ohio seemed an appropriate comp to host them. I know things have to change and refresh I just wish the whole comp schedule had been taken into account as I can't imagine we're the only couple who would have danced Worlds and Nationals if there was more time between them :(
    danceronice likes this.
  10. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Seems the case. Embassy does appear to be hosting the World Professional Latin Championships, which either says something about the stature of ballroom in this country or is an attempt to improve the same. I'd love to be able to see Riccardo and Yulia four-peat (Is that a thing? It should be a thing) on home soil.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

So if Embassy is now hosting the world professional and pro am events this year, then will Ohio Star Ball have a titled event as well this year? From what I understand, for pro am there are only two titled events in the year... the world events and the national events ( USDC). Does this mean that Ohio won't have a titled event or is there another event that they will host?
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I can imagine some will have to choose which titled event they want to attend if Embassy and USDC are that closely scheduled.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

There is no event title other than "Ohio Star Ball Champion". But I think that is enough anyway!
    Natalka, 3wishes and debmc like this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Very true Larinda!
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I checked the Embassy website today and it has changed. The website states that they are hosting the World Pro Am Championships in all 4 styles, the World Professional Rhythm, the World Professional Smooth and the WDC World Professional Latin Championships.
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh well... fasc won't be travelling to CA for things like that...pressure off :)
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I wonder if it going to be just a one time thing for this year only, or if it will stay at Embassy for several years.
  18. fascination

19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Not quite Fasc. For the students who compete in the titled events ( not me, I'm closed syllabus), this may change their decision, schedule, budgeting etc.
  20. fascination

I was speaking for myself only...fasc won't be driving to CA...and fasc does not fly