World championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Nazar

Nazar Member

closed syllabus students also have world championships in their respected levels- bronze and silver

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Who will be chauffeuring fasc to CA? ;)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no...I only make a drive that long for my grandchild

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ill send a car for her:D

5. fascination

uh...no...if I was willing to make the trip, I would drive myself :)...anyhow, moving on from my issues....should be an interesting change

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, this will mean 3 important competitions in a short period of time.. Embassy, USDC and Ohio Star Ball! I hope I can attend all of them!

7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Ive been thinking it will be interesting to see how Ohio Star Ball evolves this year, in light of this change. I wonder if it's so huge and well-established at this point that it will stay that way...or if it will shrink because people won't do all three.

I make no speculations. Just interested to see how it all plays out.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. fascination

it will be interesting....

9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

This is awful news for me. :( I definitely wanted to have a go at OSB and USDC titled events this year but i dont know if I can do all 3. Not even sure I can do 2 so close together. :( I dont like this change.

Also, Ohio is nice and central for everyone... for world titles... CA is so far for us east-coasters!

10. Mr 4 styles

and FL is so far for us west coasters:(

Gorme and jiwinco like this.
  11. I dont necessarily mind having a west coast location for the world titles I just wish they werent only a week apart. If they were a few months apart making the two trips and Ohio would be fine but so close together means only 2 of the 3 are viable which is really disappointing

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It was the largest event in N. America long before it was loaned the World Titles. I doubt it will suffer any.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Ohio is a lot easier to get to from the Midwest, East Coast, and Southeast than California...so for non-champ dancers I doubt it's a consideration....I'm with fasc, I do not fly (except under extreme duress), so forget California unless I've got SO much time I can take the train.

14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I also find it a bit odd to have Worlds BEFORE Nationals... just my own personal logic. I know we dont qualify in pro/am or anything but i feel like it is a bit anticlimactic.

ChaChaMama and Bailamosdance like this.
  15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I could envision a situation wherein the biggest loser financially speaking turns out to be mid-sized regional comps, *IF* pro-am competitors devote more and more of their budget to a trio of "must-do" events. (I realize some pro-am competitors have no budget, and that's great. But that's clearly not everyone.)

I'm not convinced, however, that pro-am competitors are really going to buy into this line-up of events.

It will be interesting to see how dances vote with their (beautifully pointed) feet.

TinyDancer109 likes this.
  16. fascination

honestly, even if the third one wasn't in california, three of that sort is too many for me ...I do different comps for different reasons...shrug

ChaChaMama likes this.
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree. In some ways I understand rotating comps for the world champs so that others get a chance to host that event, and I always welcome a chance to go to California! On the other hand it is a series of closely timed comps that I wanted to attend. I wanted to do Capitol as well, but I think that is the week or so prior to Embassy. Capitol, Embassy and USDC over a month... That is a lot to do. I'm trying to figure out what would work for me the best, as I have to request time off from work in advance and I want to book hotel rooms/makeup apps in advance too for the more popular events.

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I also really wanted to do Ohio this year as I missed it last year and I love going to Ohio! So many comps....sigh....and I do have a budget that I have to stick with.

19. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of changing the host comp for these events. It makes things a little more fair from a travel standpoint. I just wish they would have given more notice for the change. For some people, six months is not enough time to make the changes required in day to day life to be free to travel.

20. Mr 4 styles

capitol may suffer the most