World championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Feb 10, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

somehow I doubt that
  2. Becca

Becca Active Member

I'm coming to Embassy! My first ever trip to the USA! Flight is booked, hotel is booked, front row seat is booked - count me in :D !
  3. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Agreed with Becca's excitement!! And I should already be in CA that day for a wedding...I need to figure this out!
  4. Becca

Becca Active Member

I just can't believe I now have to wait a whole 5 months for it to actually happen - painful! But at least I have plenty of other competitions to keep me going in the meantime! Otherwise I think the wait would drive me insane!
  5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think he's referring to the world professional standard and smooth championships, which are the ones with actual worldwide recognition. Larinda is referring to the world pro-am championships and the "world" American style championships, which are of interest primarily to people who are in North America.
  6. Warren J. Dew

Back in the day, USBC used to have one of the four big world championships almost every year (Pro Standard, Pro Latin, Amateur Standard, Amateur Latin). That was before there were any world titles in pro-am or American style.
  7. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The video promo from Paradigm for Embassy claims the World champs for Professional Smooth, Rhythm, and Latin, but World Pro-Am too. Huh.

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

It is confusing. I think Embassy is still hosting world titles for proam and pro, but Ohio is doing world dancesport series?
  10. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Ohio does claim to do the dancesport series team match but also the dancesport series world pro/am titles for rhythm, smooth, standard, and latin.... is there a difference between the world pro/am titles and dancesport series world pro/am titles? Is the former an NDCA thing and the latter an organizer thing? me = confused. :(
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think the dancesport series is different than the world titles. Perhaps someone else can confirm?
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

That is my understanding also....the NDCA website lists Embassy as holding the World Pro/Am Championships this year. http://ndca.org/events/world-pro-am-championships/
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yes there is they are two separate events that often both occur at a comp
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ballroom is becoming like boxing!
    dancelvr likes this.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

World Pro-Am is not an NDCA thing. It is a privately held title, the rights of which that may be granted to any competition or event, to use. It used to be "leased" to Ohio. Now it is "leased" to Embassy.

Dancesport SERIES is a collective of events that culminate at Ohio. It is similar to the Global Series and Dancers Cup.
  16. Becca

Becca Active Member

Quick question - I now have a spare ticket for Embassy and wondered if anybody would be interested in it? It's for the Sunday evening session (Amateur Under 21 International Ballroom Championship, World Professional American Smooth Championship and WDC World Professional International Latin Championship) and is as close as you can possibly get to the floor - front table, front seat. Anybody who would like it, please feel free to send me a message!
  17. Yanou

Yanou Member

I'm sure I sound dim asking this at this point.... but .... So, is this the WDC World title granting event? For example, Yulia and Ricardo need to compete there to defend their title that they defended earlier in Moscow?
  18. Yes, the "world championship" at Embassy is the "official" WDC World Championship Professional Latin title...Riccardo and Yulia are the reigning WDC Professional World Championship Latin title holders, the last (WDC latin pro) World Championship was in Innsbruck, Austria in 2012...in order to defend their title they would have to compete, if Michael and Joanna were to win they would retake their title having won in 2008 and 2009, obviously less likely would be a win by another couple creating a new champion
  19. Becca

Becca Active Member

It seems that nobody at all is interested in taking this front row seat! I can't believe it! Does anybody possibly have any other suggestions for where I might be able to find somebody who is? I thought this forum would be a good start as most members seem to be US based, but I'd be grateful for any further suggestions. I really need to get this off my hands.
  20. Warren J. Dew

I'd take it if it were in my city. The U.S. is pretty big, though, and I'd guess most people who are willing to fly across the continent to see it already have tickets.